Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Adding power seat with air bag to car that did not have side airbag.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Adding power seat with air bag to car that did not have side airbag.

Hi, the title says it all, just need to know if there are plugs under the carpet for the drivers side air bag. I just did the passengers side, replaced my manual seat with heated power seat, all of the wires and plugs are already there. I just needed to cut a slit in the carpet and find the plug.
So need to know 2 things. 1, is the a plug and harness for the drivers side airbag already there?
And 2, is it plug and play? Would hate to hook it up, turn on the key and have the drivers side airbag explode!
Thanks
Dave

Old 02-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Dave, side air bags were an option for the '03 SS so I'm not sure if the harness is there or not. I have an '03 SS w/o air bags and can tell you it is one of the menu items when programming a BCM. It asks "Is vehicle equipped with optional suplimental restraint device"? So you would need to replace the BCM and program it for that option with a Tech 2 scanner, or a dealer or shop with a Tech 2 and subscription to the GM win2000 website might be able to reprogram your existing BCM.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thank you. I could not find the plug for the air bag, although looks like some kind of airbag module under the passengers side seat, not sure if there is a wire but didn't feel like cutting a bigger hole in the carpet. For now the power seats and heaters seem to be working, so it's an improvement even if the air bag is not functional.