Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

8 inch subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 08:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by GreenEyedMonte
Well my thing is, unless a human is a certified sound judge and ha heard every single sub on the planet, he cant really say one sub is the best, HOWEVER..the average guy can still say whether or not a sub is of great quality. In saying that, JL is a quality sub.
Yes. thank you. thats what I meant by that statement. I was more or less comparing the w7 to the w3v3 since Ive owned both.

Ive owned many subs as well, Ive owed 13.5" w1v2, 10" w3, 12 " Alpine type X, 12" kicker cvr, Pair of 12" w3v3, 13.5" w7, and herd many other kicker, Kenwood, and some other cheaper brands.

And Id have to say that I dislike Kicker subs very much which is part reason as I am a sound quality guy and these subs are the opposite. Alpine is right in middle as well as kenwood and are acceptable. Out of all the subs Ive herd I feel JL is still the way to go.

Out of the All the JL Lineup which Ive listened to them all very very closely as far as sound quality the 12" w3v3 beat the other JL subs. 13.5" w7 is loudest but misses notes and is not as clear as the w3v3

Old 04-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
13.5" w7 is loudest but misses notes and is not as clear as the w3v3
I understand everything you said but this. What do you mean when you say it misses notes? Like it's not fast enough to catch double bass drum hits or something?

The reason I ask is, think of this: a sub can can easily play up to say, 125 Hz. That means it's moving back and forth 125 times each second and can easily do more. Thus, it can easily react fast enough to catch double bass drum hits. If it sounds muddy, it's not the sub's failure to react and hit every note, it's poor enclosure design.

The w7 is actually well known for having great sound quality.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:20 AM

GOT SPL

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718
I understand everything you said but this. What do you mean when you say it misses notes? Like it's not fast enough to catch double bass drum hits or something?

The reason I ask is, think of this: a sub can can easily play up to say, 125 Hz. That means it's moving back and forth 125 times each second and can easily do more. Thus, it can easily react fast enough to catch double bass drum hits. If it sounds muddy, it's not the sub's failure to react and hit every note, it's poor enclosure design.

The w7 is actually well known for having great sound quality.
I guess what im saying is certain frequencies sound different which i guess is normal in comparing subs. My w7 is in a box ported to JL Specs so its in what they recommend.

But lets take 21Hz for example. the w7 reacts and it moves in and out ridiculously but the sound it makes you can barely hear, but now take the w3 and at 21Hz it moves in and out some but you can hear it much more, even if played at 3/4 of max volume on both subs. now given that the w7 is a higher model and is also lager this seems hard to believe. and yes I did actually test this in my monte and comparing them, at several frequencies. The higher the frequency the more the w7 out performed the w3v3. Now again this test was testing 1 JL 13.5" w7 in ported box to 2 12" JL w3v3 in ported box in my monte with the same amplifier and headunit.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:21 AM

GOT SPL

And I guess by notes I was meaning Frequencies.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:29 PM

Well a great man once told me "you can't go wrong with JL" and im very much inclined to believe him

Old 10-13-2010, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
I guess what im saying is certain frequencies sound different which i guess is normal in comparing subs. My w7 is in a box ported to JL Specs so its in what they recommend.

But lets take 21Hz for example. the w7 reacts and it moves in and out ridiculously but the sound it makes you can barely hear, but now take the w3 and at 21Hz it moves in and out some but you can hear it much more, even if played at 3/4 of max volume on both subs. now given that the w7 is a higher model and is also lager this seems hard to believe. and yes I did actually test this in my monte and comparing them, at several frequencies. The higher the frequency the more the w7 out performed the w3v3. Now again this test was testing 1 JL 13.5" w7 in ported box to 2 12" JL w3v3 in ported box in my monte with the same amplifier and headunit.
Another thing to consider is the box. Not all boxes are created equal. I could build 3 different boxes for my subs and all 3 of them would sound different, that doesn't mean the subs are any better or worse based on the box they're in. The W7's are nice subs, very nice, they're a ridiculous hybrid of SQ and SPL but they're just so damned pricey. I'd take a W7 over a W3 any day of the week and twice on Sunday