Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

2005 RADIO QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Default 2005 RADIO QUESTIONS

Hello,

I just traded my 99 for a 05 LS. It has a factory tape deck, but the previous ownerinstalled a Pioneer xm/cd player. I noticed the tape deck was still hooked up in the trunk, is this for the security system or Onstar mabey? The Onstar is currently showing a red light so its not happy with something. Also the radio reception is horrible, would that be related to the Pioneer, window tint,or just a antenna thing, assuming the antenna is in the rear glass?

Either way I would like to get a factory cd player. Do I need a speical radio for Onstar, or will any 00-05 work?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 01-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Default RE: 2005 RADIO QUESTIONS

Putting the factory radio in the trunk is another way to keep your door chimes.

As for the factory cd player, you can purchase an 00-05 and it will work, but you will need to goto a dealership to have it reprogrammed. They put the vin in the radio to avoid theft.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:55 PM

I am currently in the process of getting all of the necessary equipment to install an Alpine CDA-9855 in my Monte, and man, installing aftermarket CD players in Monte Carlos is a huge pain! The first thing that made me mad was the fact that with the Double DIN radio, all of the dash install kits put the CD player at the top and a big gap on the bottom. I wanted one that was just centered, so I spent a day fabricating a mounting plate out of sheet metal with the CD player centered in the middle rather than on top. After spray painting the custom-fabbed piece flat black to match the dash and fabricating brackets to hold the CD player in there nice and secure, I finally had the mounting aspect figured out, andI have to say it looked quite nice when I test fitted everything. But then I hit one more major speed bump. I found out that you need some special box or harnass or something just to make an aftermarket CD player work, and the retail is about $100.But I managed to get one for $50 and it's currently on it's way. I also plan to get an SWI-JACK and an Alpine KCA-620M to use with a Zune. But what's this I hear about installing the stock radio in the trunk? I saw this on RockinSS04's car, but what purpose does it serve? The door chimes shut off, and what else happens? But is this really necessary and how do you go about wiring the CD player to the trunk?

Old 01-14-2008, 04:59 AM

This box you are buying will bypass keeping the radio. Thats why you need it. It basicly keeps the door chimes and any audio warnings. If your car has onstar it keeps that too.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 PM

There is another adapter by Scoshe that lets you pull the factory radio right out. That is the one that I have and got it for about $80 online. Normally sells for 100-125.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I guess the radio was not hooked up right, because the door chime and Onstar doesn't work.

I just want to make sure that any cd player 00-05 will work with my Onstar.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 01-14-2008, 06:03 PM

No, not every cd player will work with the Onstar, but I'm not sure what qualifies. Usually if you purchase a high price high end name you get that.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:40 PM

Its not the CD player that works with onstar its the harness you buy.

Copy and paste from a site:

Problem: Installing an aftermarket receiver in some 2000-up General Motors vehicles with OnStar means losing OnStar functions, as well as other audible safety warnings.
Solution: Metra's GMOS-01 GM data bus interface lets you replace the factory receiver in these vehicles while keeping OnStar, along with the door chime and audible safety warnings. Hook the GMOS-01 to your aftermarket radio, mount the module, and plug it into the existing factory plug. Get the great sound you want, and keep all important safety features intact. And you can adjust volume settings for OnStar as well as the safety chimes.

Read More

Also, once you turn off the ignition in these GM vehicles, the radio continues to play until you open the door. This interface maintains that function with your new aftermarket radio. This interface is compatible with select 2001-and up GM vehicles. [/align][/align]

Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: bonang

Its not the CD player that works with onstar its the harness you buy.

Copy and paste from a site:

Problem: Installing an aftermarket receiver in some 2000-up General Motors vehicles with OnStar means losing OnStar functions, as well as other audible safety warnings.
Solution: Metra's GMOS-01 GM data bus interface lets you replace the factory receiver in these vehicles while keeping OnStar, along with the door chime and audible safety warnings. Hook the GMOS-01 to your aftermarket radio, mount the module, and plug it into the existing factory plug. Get the great sound you want, and keep all important safety features intact. And you can adjust volume settings for OnStar as well as the safety chimes.

Read More

Also, once you turn off the ignition in these GM vehicles, the radio continues to play until you open the door. This interface maintains that function with your new aftermarket radio. This interface is compatible with select 2001-and up GM vehicles. [/align][/align]
Thanks for the clarification on this. I thought my harness only kept the chimes.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:34 PM

I found that part on Crutchfield, I thought I would post it for reference.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...01&tp=3486

Jim

Quick Reply: 2005 RADIO QUESTIONS