Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 1 Amp Draw, Drains battery, help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 12:53 PM

I am fairly sure I need to replace the BCM, if I do so, will I need to take to dealer for programming? I assume so.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Just a thought but have you considered that the battery may be defective. 10K and a year & a half or so old it can go out real quick. sometimes the alternator will be going bad and it will kill a new battery. I have experienced that my self? just thinkin......something to consider.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:28 PM

I changed the battery with one I know works this morning, had same problem. Did more research and BCM is the likely problem.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Okay then. Then BCM is simple to replace, but you'll need somebody with a Tech 2 scanner to program it.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:45 PM

Do you know anything about programming it? I've heard it has to be taken to the dealer in order to have radio unlocked and such, and I've also heard that you can do it all if you have a tech 2 scanner. But if I have a tech 2 scanner, how do I know what to do with it to program the radio, lights, etc.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member

Yes, I have a Tech 2 and have programmed BCM's and unlocked radios before. As I recall, "Program a new BCM" is listed in the menu under either "Body" or "Special Functions", can't remember which, or maybe "Body" is a sub-menu in "Special Functions". It's a fairly short process and the Tech 2 walks you through the process. It automatically retrieves the VIN and Calibration I.D. then starts asking questions related to accessories like air bags, radio etc. Be careful how you answer because once you confirm and tell it to complete there is no method of correction. Be careful how you answer the air bag question..."side impact or not", and "Is the vehicle equipped with an upgraded radio?" This is a tricky one because anything other than a AM only radio is considered an upgrade. As I recall you need to do a security re-learn procedure after you finish programming to enable starting, but I could be wrong. After the BCM is programmed you can go into a separate function within "Body" then select "radio" to unlock etc. Go into another function in "Body" called "Personalization" for lights, horn, door alarm etc., but I think those questions are asked and answered in the process of programming.

Before replacing the BCM you might want to test or just replace the Reserve Accessory Power (RAP) relay. If it sticks closed it will continue to draw power from the radio and lights after the car is turned off and exited. It's located in the passenger side instrument fuse panel. It also makes a clicking sound when opening and closing.

Last edited by plumbob; 05-15-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:39 PM

Could you link the best place you would get this scanner? I have looked at a few, just wondering what you'd recommend.

Thanks a ton

Wes

Old 05-15-2017, 07:01 PM
Default Dead battery

Originally Posted by Wes Tripple
I bought this 2002 Monte Carlo SS about 2 weeks ago, and for the most part I drove it a lot, never sat more than 24 hours at most. I walk out to start it after it sat about 24~25 hours at the battery was at 5 volts. I charged it up and went on my way, figuring I the door slightly open or something. I come back 12 hours later, starts fine, but all I do is start it and shut if off, then walk away. I walk out to it again about 11 hours after that (23~24 hours since I charged it up after finding it at 5 volts) and it was way down again, no start. Battery was replaced 10,000 miles ago, in Feb of 2016. I looked for a short this morning and found that the battery has a draw of 1 amp that starts very randomly, but always last 15~16 seconds. It is very steady of 1 amp for 15~16 seconds. The draw then stops for anywhere between 12~120 seconds, and then the draw comes back for another 15~16 seconds. I would assume this would involve the radio or BCM, for it seems to have a mind of its own to be so regular. There is also an aftermarket security and remote start in the car, all disconnected. It is Python security of some sort. If anyone can help me pinpoint the draw, i'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks
I had the same problem and it was the on star module, does the red light on the rear view mirror stay on when the key is off ?

Old 05-15-2017, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Wes Tripple
Could you link the best place you would get this scanner? I have looked at a few, just wondering what you'd recommend.

Thanks a ton

Wes
You can find Tech 2's all over the web...eBay, Amazon and hundreds of Chinese sellers marketing their wares through AliExpress.com. I heard that 90% of the Tech 2's currently in use are Chinese knockoff's (AKA Clone) like mine. The difference between the real thing and a clone is cost and reliability. They work exactly like the real thing at a fraction of the cost. I bought mine about 10 years ago when the price was about $600. That price has fallen to $350-400 after shipping and U.S. Customs Duty fees, but I hear the quality has fallen as well. I've had no problems with mine, but have heard many complaints of units plagued with problems. It's a roll of the dice.
Kinda' scary money transaction too. They don't trust you any more than you trust them. They will require you to pay with PayPal and will make you use Skype for communication, and make you send a screenshot of the completed PayPal transaction including authorization number. They will email you a "Proforma" for you to complete and declare the $ value, destination etc. All this takes about three days before they will ship via DHL. Genuine Tech 2's have actually become hard to find, but if you do they run around $2800. If you want to risk purchasing a clone here is one of hundreds of Chinese sellers: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top-...c-69483ab53471.

Here's a video explaining how to tell the difference between genuine and a clone:

Old 05-17-2017, 03:11 PM

Alright, i'm on the final part of this fix. I called the dealer and they said they would program the new BCM for $150, so I'll install the new BCM and then pay $150 for the program vs the $425 they quoted me for doing the whole thing themselves. I understand I have to do the relearn process to get the car to start. My last question is can I install and do the relearn and drive the car to the dealer? Or will the relearn stop the possibility of being programmed?

You guys have super helpful, This is my 1st car I've bought without parents help and this forum is awesome. Thanks to all.

Wes