Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

ZZP no-cat down pipe - Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It may not be bad info, sounds like it may be a fun part to replace.

So how good is the ZZP is it easy to install, and will i need the o2 emulator?

Old 02-27-2010, 01:41 AM

That is not the only restrictive part- the top end of it in the double wall section gets pretty tiny too.

You should go for the 2.5" DP for an NA 3800.

So, I have been thinking about picking one of these up, but have to wonder if the performance gains will be worth the cost.
Definitely one of the best mods as far as HP/dollar since without a cat, they're pretty cheap.

I also have other questions, will I need the o2 emulator? Will i need 2 emulators one pre and one post "cat".
You don't "need" it, but your car will throw a service engine light. Either you can use an emulator (don't know if they make one for your year, I thought they quit in there somewhere)- or you can just have the code turned off by having your pcm tuned (which is another good bang for the buck mods- maybe you could do both at the same time?)

If you can/do use an emulator- you only use it on the rear- the front O2 is actually used for making fueling adjustments, so you don't want to goof with that- the rear one just checks to make sure the cat is working- which obviously it won't be working properly with the sensor unplugged.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:28 AM

Well I'm sold. Nowi just have to wait for the tax refund to come in. I'm also goi g to throw summit racing slotted and dimpled rotors on the front, along with ceramic pads

Old 02-27-2010, 04:24 PM

dont put it in , leave it stock , your have a na mc , probably wont gain much if anything .

Old 02-27-2010, 05:54 PM

dont put it in , leave it stock , your have a na mc , probably wont gain much if anything .
lol, what? Considering probably 80%+ of this board is people with NA MC's, you're telling them to not bother modding their cars either?

I'll admit that 'budget' mods NA won't produce the kind of gains you'd get on a turbo or SC'd setup, but it doesn't mean people shouldn't even bother at all.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:43 PM

I agree with bumpin here, the gains wont be as great a a SC car, but it certainly shouldn't hurt, and anything flows better than stock.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:11 PM

Just checked and the year for the O2 emulator cuts off in 03. And from what I learned tonight...they will not connect up to our cars. It would seem that GM changed the face of the O2 senser.

I need to do more checking on this, but from what I heard, that in some 02/03 gp's pcms they put in a cat test mode. Which from what I heard, you can run your car without a cat and at random it will test for a cat and if you don't have one then your car will be stuck in that mode until it sees a cat. It happend to a friend. He ran his car for a year and a half then it would keep popping codes and running like it was in safe mode. He put a cat in and it has ran fine ever since.

I need to do more checking on this since I am wondering if this is what my car is doing and yes I am not running a cat.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:21 AM

Commando, thanks for the info, let me know what you find. I may just be better off with some suspension upgrades if there is a chane a nocat or hi flow cat will cause trouble, damn emissions laws.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would get the ZZP Downpipe with high-flow cat. 2.5" for your car. If you wanna save money don't get the 304 Stainless steel.

Yes it is true that for the 05 models, the O2 sensor reads differently, it's not just flow to you can't use an emulator to get rid of the P0420 code, you will need to get it deleted from your PCM. I would stick with the Cat because visual checks for cats still exist and I wouldn't want to risk that.

You will have to get the PCM Code deleted to pass emissions testing most likely. You can't go there with the CEL on and expect to pass. Some states (or cops) do visual checks, so you should have the cat on there too. But a high-flow won't disrupt or harm your engine's power.

Get the downpipe, P0420 WILL come on eventually, then look into getting a basic PCM for your car with that code deleted, or making friends with someone close by who can tune that out for you. Also do this after inspection, so you have a good year before you have to worry about another inspection to deal with the codes

Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 AM

I would stick with the Cat because visual checks for cats still exist and I wouldn't want to risk that.
I was scared when I went through with my old GTP w/ a 3" catless DP, they didn't look though

I figured if they did say something, I'd just buy one of these and weld it in :

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...roducts_id=320

Quick Reply: ZZP no-cat down pipe - Is it worth it?