Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

What is the Resonator and the U Bent?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: What is the Resonator and the U Bent?

the u-bend wont change any sound at all...and thats where all the power is lost...i dont think you will notice much of a difference without that being gone first

Old 02-27-2007, 09:23 PM

OK... Question then: Can I replace the U-Bent with a straight pipe WITHOUT the connector for the O2? What would be the consequenses?

MC2K

Old 02-28-2007, 12:48 AM

If the computer doesn't get signal from the O2 sensor it will probably go to a general map (reducing power) and leaving you with stock fuel delivery (eliminating any benefits of mods you have) If you leave the O2 sensor connected, just not in the exhaust, then it will read very very incorrectly and the car will never run right. The best option is to either 1, use the O2 sensor eliminator available on some sites, this tricks the computer into thinking the car is running properly. Or, having the guy weld in an O2 bung. By far it's better to have the 02 sensor connected and placed properly in the exhaust system. without the O2 sensor your car won't adjust for temperature, air density/altitude changes as effectively as it normally would.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

you would have to leave the o2 in place, all they do is put a piece of striaght pipe in and weld an o2 bung into the pipe for the o2 sensor...very easy and quick job...

i defientely would not suggest getting rid of the o2 sensor

Old 02-28-2007, 12:06 PM

OK... Would I have to mess with the PCM? I had planed to change it soon, but if I don't need to, I save the $$ for when I upgrade the breaks

MC2K

Old 02-28-2007, 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: wiz kidd

the u-bend wont change any sound at all...and thats where all the power is lost...i dont think you will notice much of a difference without that being gone first
when i took out my U-bend there was a huge differnce in the sound of my exhaust

Old 02-28-2007, 09:25 PM

If you leave the O2 sensor in the exhaust, then the car will automatically adjust itself, and no changes to the PCM should be needed. It doesn't matter if you purchase a pre-made unit, or have an exhaust shop make one. As long as the O2 sensor is there, the car doesn't know any difference.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:43 PM

Guys!!!! I took the car today at lunch to the muffler shop, took the Resonator and the U-Bent out and stay with the 2.25 pipe. What a difference!! The car sounds great!! It's too soon to know about gas mallage but I definitely notice improvement in asceleration. I am Happy

MC2K

Old 03-01-2007, 09:25 PM

Excellent, I'm glad it worked out for you! How much did it cost?

I want to get my car up on a lift first before I do any changes, but I'm looking at possibly eliminating the resonator as well, but if I do that I'll probably just get a new exhaust from the cat back. That way I have the stock exhaust on hand when I re-sell it.

You should get a sound/video clip if you can, other guys looking to do that would definately be interested!

Old 03-01-2007, 11:12 PM

Excellent work on this thread, people!! Great flow and information. This is what the #1 online Monte Carlo community is supposed to be about!

MC2K, we would all love to see you post some sound clips when you get a chance!!

Quick Reply: What is the Resonator and the U Bent?