Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

What is the Resonator and the U Bent?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:14 AM
Default RE: What is the Resonator and the U Bent?

looks a lot better

Old 02-24-2007, 10:22 AM

Ireplaced my entire exhaust from the downpipe all the way back and saw a huge difference and every thing that i have is 2.5 from the down pipe back with a high flow cat and u-bend and then Borla on back and i have no problems with it.

also with the cat from your car you need to remember that it has been on there for 7 years now and itis most likely as good as it once was.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:13 PM

i will definitly be removing the stock u bend cause it looks disgusting

Old 02-24-2007, 02:04 PM

so are you saying that if you take the resonator out... replace the u bend and just put mufflers in the back it wont be to loud?

Old 02-24-2007, 05:11 PM

I have ripped every inch of my exhaust system out. DP, CAT, RESONATOR and stock mufflers. I recommend flowmasters, 40 or super 40s depending on how loud u want it inside. I have had 3 things inplace of the resonator, a cherry bomb glasspack, a red hot resonator and straight pipe. Straight pipe is soooooo loud but soooooo nice. I commute 60 miles a day and on the highway the red hots was the best. My dp with cat/ubend delete is a magnaflow and after installing it, I could tell the car had more *****.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i did the u-bend delete and no resonator first...with the stock cat, noticed a difference in performance...then i did the highflow cat convertor and noticed another difference in performance as well, and my car only had 7000 miles on it @ the time i did this...so whoever told you the stock one is as good as a high flow one is a little off on that ...

so now i have highflow cat, no u-bend, and no resonator, and i left the rest of the exhaust the way it was....still stock mufflers..and my car is not too noisy at all...doesn't really make any noise actually...its a little louder than stock..but not much..

definetely a good investment if your looking for more power

Old 02-24-2007, 08:55 PM

ok so once i get my mufflers done and have the u bend and resonator taken out and replace with 2.5 pipe i need to go back and have the stock changed out to a highflow cat? what is the going price for the highflow cat and i need to take it to a shop to have it put on right

Old 02-25-2007, 03:15 PM

i have the 3400 in my monte will any exhaust sound good.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah it should...i dont think there's a lot of sound difference in the 3.4l and the 3.8l engines

Old 02-27-2007, 07:53 AM

Thank you everyone for guiding me in the right direction...

Bigg J - That's a great photo explanation of the U-Bent. Nothing tells it better than a picture and I appreciate that.

I will be taking the car to the muffler shop this week to remove the Resonator and change the pipes to 2.5 from the CAT to the Magnaflow. I don't think I want to take the U-Bent aout now, but I will consider it after I hear the car. Don't wnat it to be too loud!

I will try in taking pictures and post them later. Again, thank you to all.

MC2K

Quick Reply: What is the Resonator and the U Bent?