Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

What is the best Exhaust for a 04 Supercharged Monte ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Question What is the best Exhaust for a 04 Supercharged Monte ?

What kind of exhaust could I run on my 2004 Dale Jr. SS, without loosing power?? please help.

Last edited by Space; 04-04-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:36 AM

Welcome to the MCF from Minn
Check back on this thread to see what our expert member's post & suggest for the best exhaust for your Monte...Also explore the MCF & you will learn a lot about your Monte 4-Sure...

You are so lucky @ your age to have a SuperSuperCharged Monte S.S. 4-Really Sure...EnJoy the MCF & we look 4ward 2 your future posts

Last edited by Space; 04-04-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 AM

Yes you are

Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You aren't going to lose power with any exhaust. Freeing up the exhaust makes the car FEEL less torquey, but in reality it isn't.

If you are going to modify the car a good amount, get a set of headers. If you are going to only just do very very basic modifications, just go to zzperformancecom and purchase their front powerlog and a 3" zzp downpipe.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You aren't going to lose power with any exhaust. Freeing up the exhaust makes the car FEEL less torquey, but in reality it isn't.
I must (respectfully) disagree. If the pipe used is too big it will reduce exhaust flow velocity. In turn, the cylinders will not be purged as efficiently. The incoming charge will be diluted with spent gases and produce less power and torque. It feels like the car is less 'torquey' because it is. However, once the rpm reaches a point where the engine obtains adaquate scavenging of the cylinders the power and torque lost in the lower rpm range will be recouped plus. In other words you have moved the power/torque curve up the rpm scale. Your vehicle will perform better at higher rpm, but the trade off is decreased lower rpm performance.

This is a very good article about exhaust...well worth the read. It pretty much covers everything that was taught to me when I took (and graduated with a 4.0 avg) a certified automotive machinist course years ago.

How To Calculate Muffler Size and Exhaust Pipe Diameter | Exhaust Videos

Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What can he purchase that is too big for his car?

I understand that it is POSSIBLE, but with what is out there on the market, he's not going to be able to actually find stuff that is too large haha

I see that mentality as the older days, when headers and such were easier to come by, or people were making their own.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 PM

It has nothing to do with the age of the 'mentality', it has to do with physics. And it's not just possible...it is a fact. Why do manufacturers offer headers with different length and diameter primary tubes and/or collectors for the same cid engine? Why is different size diameter pipe or a particullar design muffler used? Why are 'X' and 'H' pipes strategically placed in the exhaust stream? They all have one thing in common - their size and location effect where the engine will operate most efficiently.

So what is too big? That depends on the application. I know that you believe a 3" downpipe on an SC engine is fine - and it is - as long as you plan on driving your car at WOT all the time. That is where you will see gain. Go back and read the numerous posts from people that installed a 3" downpipe, then later on posted their car felt 'less torquey' coming off the line. Why is that? Because it does have less power and torque being produced in the lower rpm. The power/torque curve moved up the rpm range when the larger diameter downpipe was installed. Sure, the car will run better at higher rpm, but (as I said before) the trade off was reduction in lower rpm performance. Don't get me wrong - if you want to put a 3" downpipe on your car so it runs a little better at the track go for it! But if your car spends the majority of it's life going from stoplight to stoplight spinning less than 4,000 rpm don't be surprised when your car exhibits a power loss in the bottom end power and your mpg drops off...

Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

So I think I made a correct decision to put a 2.5" downpipe mated up with my 2.5 SLP cat back exhaust on my 05 SS.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mike(03SSLE) i'm glad you posted that info, cleared things up for me alot. I was debating on exhaust sizes in the future and you've made it quite simple to understand which would be best.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
So I think I made a correct decision to put a 2.5" downpipe mated up with my 2.5 SLP cat back exhaust on my 05 SS.
I would tend to agree.

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Mike(03SSLE) i'm glad you posted that info, cleared things up for me alot. I was debating on exhaust sizes in the future and you've made it quite simple to understand which would be best.
I'm glad you found it useful.

Quick Reply: What is the best Exhaust for a 04 Supercharged Monte ?