Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

is there. big difference between a custom exhaust and a name brand one

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Default is there. big difference between a custom exhaust and a name brand one

I'm trying to make up my mind between the two. I believe custom is cheaper than name brand. Correct me if I'm wrong , I need to know if there is a performance or durability difference and I appreciate you all insight.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

My SLP PowerFlo system came with a limited lifetime warranty. Ran me about $500 shipped but this is what the warranty reads:

Headers and exhaust components are warranted for life against rust, corrosion, failed welds, cracks, and similar defects under normal use. Discoloration of coatings is NOT covered. Damage caused by excessive heat (from lean combustion or use of “heat wraps”), flood, collision, modification, or road hazard IS NOT COVERED. All other aforementioned exclusions apply. Product must be returned, freight prepaid, to SLP Performance Parts in Toms River, N.J. for evaluation. After evaluation SLP Performance Parts will, at its discretion, repair or replace the part. In the case of headers, only the affected part(s) will be repaired or replaced.

Not sure if a shop would warranty all of that for life, however it may be a bit cheaper? If you just got the tubing done in stainless and custom fit, pair it up with your choice of mufflers and tips, it would possibly be cheaper than an entire system. You kind of get what you pay for in exhaust. Most well known systems will have some type of warranty against rust and corrosion (assuming it is stainless).

The performance will come from what the set up is. For me, I have a resonator delete, u bend delete, etc. Just an SLP 2.5" stainless exhaust all the way back to a pair of PowerFlo Mufflers and SLP tips. My guess is that 2.5" would be your best bet for performance? Mufflers would be mostly for sound.

Can't say that I noticed a major gain when I first had just exhaust, but you pair it up with an intake and a few other things and you'll start to notice, hope my info. helps somewhat, there's probably a lot more knowledgeable members who will chime in

Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 773 Z34
I'm trying to make up my mind between the two. I believe custom is cheaper than name brand. Correct me if I'm wrong , I need to know if there is a performance or durability difference and I appreciate you all insight.
Can your shop do proper mandrel bends, if so, then I would go with them making my own

Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Custom is the way to go if they can do a quality job, my gto has a custom set up comparable to high end companies

Old 08-22-2012, 08:40 PM

Ok. I think I will go with custom ink I'm new to the upgrading vehicles thing. So I will be back with more questions later. You'll really make it easy this is a great community. So just to get it straight 03JGMONTE, and Chibi you guys think custom is the way.to go with good cost effective and performance wise.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 PM

Custom for me, always has been.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:12 AM

Chibi what are mendral bends. I'm new too most of this

Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 773 Z34
Chibi what are mendral bends. I'm new too most of this
There are 2 types of bends when you are doing exhaust systems.

Mandrel, which means the diameter of the pipe stays the same through the bend, and crush bend meaning the diameter will get narrower through the curve.

The best way is to think of a flexible straw. When you can move and bend the straw at the designated spot, it doesn't interrupt the flow of the liquid through the straw, however, if you bend the straw in the middle where it isn't supposed to be bent, it will create a slight restriction.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:45 AM

Oooh ok I get it now. So you recommend the mendral bend Chibi?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:49 AM

15 Year Member

Yes, if the shop can do mandrel bends and quality work, then it will be comparable to a name-brand system for less cost, which means it's the best deal for you.

Quick Reply: is there. big difference between a custom exhaust and a name brand one