Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Straight through exhaust system?

Old 08-17-2008, 02:18 AM
Default Straight through exhaust system?

I'm running a 2001 L36 SS and plan on overhauling the intake and exhaust. My question to you guys is would PEM's, 2.5" downpipe from ZZP with u-delete included, and one 2.5" exhaust pipe through a resonator and muffler yield much better torque and HP throughout the entire powerband than a normal dual muffler catback exhaust? I've never really gotten into performance modifications on my car, but I've been around my brother who modified a 350 in his 67 camaro... I figure one, large diameter straight pipe with only one muffler would be insanely loud but I figured running a shorty glasspack from the downpipe as a resonator replacement, then running the exhaust pipe from that with a muffler attached in the normal placement

List of mods to come in case it makes a difference

Intake- CAI, ZZP HV TB, ZZP HV3 insert

Valvetrain- 1.9 ratio roller rockers

Exhaust- PEM's from ZZP, ZZP downpipe

Old 08-17-2008, 07:05 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Straight through exhaust system?

thats about the exhuast system i have... quite loud to me, lots of drone in teh cabin (which doesn't bother me in the least), i'd say go do that

heres my you tube of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq19vwlx4ss

Old 08-17-2008, 09:15 AM

make you a deal , giv emy your brothers car and i will giv eyou the perfect system for your car lol

yeah in theroy the best way to have it is free flowing the less resistacne the better.
but then we have to say you also need just the right amount of back preseure or you have a wind tunnel and it dose no good becuse it flows to freely.
so once you find that balance that is perfect you strivve for it.

that is the therory.

now in reality. you have the law to deal with so it is no longer open headders with a peice of short pipe in the end so it wont burn the valves.
you have to have the cat. and the muffler. So if you have a pretty much straight pipe all the way back and then put just the requierd amount of resistac ein it with the muffler and the cat both being free flowing it should be the best system you can have for it.
so i hope it works for ya. lol

Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 AM

Cowboy6622- I thought I remembered you only had one glasspack and that it was located close to the engine...do you have more than one muffler installed on your system?

mickey- Well if you've got some money left over for a new bell housing you can have it :P lol...I plan on keeping it totally street legal with a high flow cat and probably 2 mufflers on one pipe

The thing that sucks is...I don't have enough money to do it RIGHT NOW and I sooooooo wanna do it RIGHT NOW IMMIDIATELY! lol...basically the plan is to remove the driver's side exhaust split, widen the passenger's side straight pipes, and replace the resonator with a glasspack and adding a high quality muffler on the end.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:45 AM

so i can have the camaro for if i hae a bell houseing? where do ya live!! I can weld a bell houseing or replace that pretty eaasily.

sounds to me you have it pretty much figured out as long as you use good parts i would think you would come out a head of the game.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:49 PM

Hahaha... what I meant when I said "you can have it if you have a bell housing" is you'd be able to drive it away if you replaced it lol... aside from legalities you could be long gone by the time he noticed you took it :P.

67 SS camaro with 350 pushing around 400... yea he spent over 4k in parts for it. We live in nebraska... I don't think the forums would even notice you were away from your computer! :P

Old 08-17-2008, 07:46 PM

what part of NE. My wife is from there and my parents still live there. in Omaha.
i actually graduated up there from High school LOL
we miss it but not really . and when it is cold out im so glad i dont have to go out in it LOL

Old 08-17-2008, 07:54 PM

5 Year Member

no sir, just the one glasspack... and de cat

Old 08-17-2008, 09:51 PM

GOOD OL' BEATRICE HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 07 BABY!! My 2 older brothers live in lincoln on my grandma's farm. The machine shed currently has my oldest brother's 67 camaro, 2nd oldest brother's 97 SS camaro with a broken timing chain (I think), and my dad's 67 camaro in need of an almost complete rebuild... did I mention I grew up around nothing but chevy? lol

I talked to my brother and dad and they both agreed that running one straight pipe with larger diameter would probably be too free flowing without enough back pressure to use with the stock cam valve timing.. I never really understood back pressure until my dad explained it. What sort of power changes did you see from running your straight pipe cowboy?

Which brings up more questions..

1) With a much higher flowing intake and exhaust system, would I see as much of a performance benefit from an ER ratio roller rocker kit or might it be better to run lighter 1.6 ratio roller rockers using the stock cam?

and

2) If running a more free flowing exhaust would require shorter valve durations then what is the stock cam's duration? For a cam to perform better with a free flowing exhaust would it need to have shorter or longer durations than stock?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 AM

5 Year Member

i didn't see much power difference at all. of course, i had my car dyno tuned so all my timing is different from stock anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Straight through exhaust system?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.