Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 11:40 PM
Default Straight pipe

Hey i was wondering if any of you have straight piped your entire exhaust(no cat, resonator, or mufflers. I already have taking the mufflers off and like the sound but would like it to be louder. I just need some imput on how it will sound. I have a 2005 monte carlo LT with the 3.8. Thanks!

Old 06-15-2017, 07:50 AM

LOOOL Yea I did it.. Had to run to the parts store to get some clamps when I was changing my mufflers.. This was after res and cat delete..

You dont wanna do that.. Its an opinionated topic but I can say without a doubt its terrible X100..

You hit about 2500-4500 rpm and its just NASTY sounding.

Id compare it to the jolly green giant farting thru a megaphone..

Old 06-15-2017, 10:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They are crazy raspy and loud, not a good sound at all.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jonnyboyhog
Hey i was wondering if any of you have straight piped your entire exhaust(no cat, resonator, or mufflers. I already have taking the mufflers off and like the sound but would like it to be louder. I just need some imput on how it will sound. I have a 2005 monte carlo LT with the 3.8. Thanks!
I think you'll be hard pressed to find all that many people that like the sound of a straight piped 3800. It's really an odd sound due to firing order, number of cylinders, etc - not smooth, racy, or particularly muscular. Plus it's a little odd having a screaming loud 150 hp car.

I'll admit, I do have a cutout on my monte right at the firewall, but the purpose is for picking up power as I've got a lot of mods. I do have a cutout on my DD GXP, but IMO the ls4 doesn't sound nearly as bad as the 3800. I've also got it further back in the exhaust stream so it isn't crazy loud. Even that isn't something I can listen to every day though.

If you want max volume inside the cabin, get a catless downpipe and put a turndown on the end. The sound bouncing off the ground will make it sound louder inside. If that's not enough, a big overlap cam and headers will both help make it louder. I still bet you'll get sick of it pretty quick.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-15-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:53 PM
Default Straight pipe

Thanks for the feedback. After watching some videos and looking at reveiws ive decided what im going to do is go catless and no respnator but put some sort of flowmaster or magnaflow muffler on. Any suggestions for the muffler would be greatly apreiciated. I was thinking super 10 flowmasters but I want some other opinions on the matter.