Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Stock 2007 Monte Carlo LS V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Stock 2007 Monte Carlo LS V6

How and what can I do to make it faster, perform better, more horsepower? I guess starting out with little things to do at first, maybe replacements and such, but I really do not know, I just know I want better speed, performance, power, that is what matters to me.

I looked through the forum trying to find answers, but felt I had to start my own thread for I do not know any of the terms listed and all the words used. So please if you are to offer help please type out what these words are and really break it down for me. I have no idea of the terminology when it comes to what goes on under the hoods of cars.

Considered Example:
Is replacing the stock air filter with the best air filter on the market you can find a worthy starting point? If yes, I would need to know what this air filter is. Please bear with me and help me out patiently.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2007MonteCarloLS
Considered Example:
Is replacing the stock air filter with the best air filter on the market you can find a worthy starting point? If yes, I would need to know what this air filter is. Please bear with me and help me out patiently.
No. You need to replace the whole intake assembly. The stock one is restrictive to make the car quieter. So you have to replace the whole airbox with a cold air intake to get gains.

There really is not much for the 3.5L.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There is not a whole lot for the 3.5L...however, I got some very noticeable improvement by making a couple of relatively easy/ inexpensive mods:

1) Get a coldairinductions.com CAI to replace stock box/ filter.
2) Overkill canned tuned PCM- Best upgrade...extra power, way better shift points (which makes the power all the more usable).
3) Change out the resonator/ mufflers for a more free flowing exhaust.

With those three performance oriented improvements, my 3.5L is noticeably faster, yet still a very good daily driver, and gets the same or possibly better gas mileage.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member

Cool. I will note these. What about chipping the car and an electric supercharger as ideas?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member

coldairinductions.com apparently does not have my vehicle listed on there? I went to the cold air intake section.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cool. I will note these. What about chipping the car and an electric supercharger as ideas?

chips and electric superchargers are garbage....go with what (MAMONTE) Michael has said, that's about it for our cars.......

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 08-25-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:01 AM

15 Year Member

coldairinductions.com apparently does not have my vehicle listed on there? I went to the cold air intake section.
Use the one they have listed for 3.9L engine

Old 08-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

You don't "chip" our cars, and like already mentioned, electric superchargers are junk. If they were so great, every car would already have them.

My suggestion, take a look over here: Homepage for WOT-Tech - WOT-Tech

They specialize in 3100-3500 v6's. You might be able to get a few bolt ons from there.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member

Okay this is a big full post!

Hey ChibiBlackSheep, can you tell me more about what you said, "You need to replace the whole intake assembly. The stock one is restrictive to make the car quieter. So you have to replace the whole airbox with a cold air intake to get gains." - Is this difficult or easy? You said it makes the car quieter, so if I get this cold air intake, my car will sound louder, more powerful and be faster?

Hey ChibiBlackSheep, you said "Use the one they have listed for 3.9L engine" - This will work with mine no problems? Also, it lists two results, which should I use? I mean they are both the same price and one just says (Black Powder Coat) - is that the only difference between the two?

Hey MAMONTE, can you tell me more about your #2 and #3:

2) Overkill canned tuned PCM- Best upgrade...extra power, way better shift points (which makes the power all the more usable).
3) Change out the resonator/ mufflers for a more free flowing exhaust.

Hey zipper, can you elaborate more on the why we don't "chip" our cars? Also I went to the web page but not really sure what to look for on there, any help on that aspect? I have no idea what a bolt on is.

Hey to everyone else #1, that knows about the chips and electric superchargers, can you tell me why they are garbage or do not work? I mean do they not work 0% or is it too little percent? I just do not know these things at all. If not an electric supercharger, what about a supercharger in general? I have looked at a lot of things out there online as far as chips, chip type stuff and supercharger type stuff.

Hey to everyone else #2, I have someone that is willing to help me with this stuff in person that knows a lot about this stuff and I am sure all the things you have told me about here they know exactly what it is and means and all that but I want to know the things too. I have to be real patient with them though as we do not get to see each other too often but we are trying to work something out, hopefully soon. I appreciate all the help you all have shared with me.

I learned of chipping through a friend that says they chipped a mini van and it is pretty fast as well as put in a better air filter. I forget what the model is but it is a Chevrolet.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM

15 Year Member

If you went to coldairinductions.com and purchased their 3.9L cold air intake, that is what I meant by replacing the whole assembly.

The 3.9L version should match right up. MAMonte has that same one on his car. One is aluminum and the other is powder coated black. Makes no difference besides how it looks.

Overkilled PCM, this is taking the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) and replacing it with one that has been tuned with tuning software. :: Overkill Motorsports ::

The tuning makes the shifts firmer, increasing the timing of the engine, and will get you a little bit more power, better throttle response, and allow you to drive more aggressively.

When you buy a "chip" for these cars, all you are doing is telling the PCM that colder air is coming in than it really is. When you do that, the car's reaction to cold air is to throw extra fuel at the car. This will make you run rich and FEEL like you have more power, but you are just wasting gas.

Electric Superchargers disrupt the airflow in the intake. They spin and they throw air into the car, but it does it at a slower rate than the engine can suck air in by itself. It's a waste of time, money, and it makes the car slower because you have something in the way of flowing air.

I hope that helps

Quick Reply: Stock 2007 Monte Carlo LS V6