Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Starting exhaust system upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Starting exhaust system upgrade!

Well, I've been lurking for a while since buying my second Monte, but I'm finally back and about to start some work! Today, swapping out the half shafts (got some clicking to eliminate), and tomorrow, putting in front and rear PLOG and the downpipe. I've read a few of the threads on here, going to start soaking all the bolts today for sure, since I this car used to live on the east coast. Any other suggestions that haven't been thrown out to make this job as easy as possible?

Old 09-30-2018, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by comontecarlo
Any other suggestions that haven't been thrown out to make this job as easy as possible?
Have a little portable torch handy.. They can work wonders on them stuck bolts..

Old 11-02-2018, 10:43 AM

Any updates on this?

Old 06-29-2019, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member

Sorry for such a long delay. Got the P-logs installed just fine. Sprayed all the bolts down and let them sit overnight. The big problem came with the downpipe. I finally got all the rust off (I think), and it looked like someone had welded the nuts and bolts on the bottom side of the downpipe, where it connects to the rest of the exhaust. There were no threads on the bolts, and the nuts definitely looked permanently attached. I'm currently overseas, but the plan when I get home is to just rip the whole exhaust out and replace it all. I'll figure out what to do with the old one afterward! hahaha

Old 10-03-2019, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member

After a few hours fighting today, I got the ZZP headers installed. Now where I'm really stuck is the downpipe that comes with the headers. They used a V band clamp for the connection from the headers to the dp, and it is being a witch and a half! Called it quits for the day after a few more hours of fruitless struggle. Anyone with any install experience with these things? I would love some abvice, tips, or tricks!

Old 10-03-2019, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by comontecarlo
After a few hours fighting today, I got the ZZP headers installed. Now where I'm really stuck is the downpipe that comes with the headers. They used a V band clamp for the connection from the headers to the dp, and it is being a witch and a half! Called it quits for the day after a few more hours of fruitless struggle. Anyone with any install experience with these things? I would love some abvice, tips, or tricks!
I'll take a picture today once the sun comes out. Yeah, it was a pain for me as well, but I used this:

Butt Joint Exhaust Band Clamp Sleeve Stainless Steel (I couldn't input a hyperlink here, the page crashed on me, Google it instead)

Much easier to put on than the smaller ones they provided. Bought one at AutoZone. I made sure it was tight so no exhaust leak.

Last edited by HKnux5112; 10-03-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:36 AM

I used a different brand of headers but I assume the connections are similar enought.. I used this..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-3...oAAOSwqiVaHzt5

...For reference..

Old 10-03-2019, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member

That's what I have, it's just a pain to get it connected to both sides.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:45 AM

Well, maybe not the best picture, thought it was going to be easier. I now remember how garbage it was getting that on.

Again, I did use the one I posted earlier this morning, and I actually remember buying some high heat puddy stuff from O'Reilley's and put some around both the edges of the clamp to help with any potential exhaust leak. Yeah, it's tight in there, man.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:22 AM

Hmm I wonder what the difference is here.. I have removed that and put it back together many many times with no problem. Like I said, I used a different brand of headers so maybe location is a factor. Mine goes right about where the stock ubend was.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Starting exhaust system upgrade!