Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Sick of my 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Default Sick of my 3.4

Im totally sick of the underpowered 3.4 in my 05 LS and as i look around for parts there are very few for the 3.4 I was considering the ram air hood (functional from MPD) along with the cold air box any suggestions? What kind of horsepower can i expect to get out o theis 3.4? Also as much as i love the 3.4's exhaust note compared to the 3.8LT that i drove I wouldnt mind switching my exhaust up for something that will give me some more power so any exhaust suggestions would be much appreciated also

Old 07-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Default RE: Sick of my 3.4

Hi Steg, & Welcome to the MCF
I don't have a 3.4L, but I'm sure several members will
answer your post with infor. Be Patience : )
You might consider clicking the below link to explore
the posts of 3.4L owners.
Post some pic's of your 05 Monte Carlo.
Look forward to your future posts.
You might start loving your 3.4 more, `if the price of
gas continues to climb : )
Wish you Safe/Happy/Fun miles in your Monte.
`Space

Old 07-19-2007, 09:05 PM

Unfortunately i have a 3.4 also. i bought the car when i didn't really know what i was getting.. and have fallen in love with everything except the under-performing engine. but i've found a few sights to play with since i built this anger.. the thing to remember is that we pretty much have the same engine as the grand am. so check these forums and stores out.
grandamgt
60degreesv6.com
milzy
zzp
60v6 store
the first thing i was thinking of doing was.. a portedthrottlebody , an K&N intake... from there i don't know cams, springs, rockers, rollers, definately an exhaust.
===
by the way if none of htat happens.. an 06 ltz.. has the same horesepower as the 05 ss.. but there are fewer aftermarket parts for it.. so i don't know what's going to happen.. we'll see if some of these dealer come down on teh praice later this summer.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

wow your sig is huge shaboom! lol

as for performance stuff for the 3.4 i think its just all the stuff you can do is

custom air intake
u-bend delete
resonator delete
high flow cat

and i think thats about as much as your going to get, i've never driven the 3.4 so i'm not sure what its like, but those were huge improvements on my 3.8 s.c.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:11 AM

the 3.1 is the 3.4's beioch, but then 3.4 is better then the non sc 3.8 so its all a roundabout but still loads better then the 3.1

Old 07-20-2007, 03:14 PM

the 3400 is a good motor but there is no aftermarket for it you should check out 60degreev6.com they have alot of custom stuff regrind cams,bigger T.B.,top end kits it all depends on how much money you want to spend the 3400 comes stock with 190hp so cash flow creates horsepower !!!!!

Old 07-21-2007, 01:54 AM

yea sorry about my sig... I'm working on it
----
so does that make a supercharged or turbo charged 3400 better than a 3800? what about switching out the top end?

Old 07-21-2007, 03:55 AM

ok did the honors of making you a smaller sig.

I have seen some people make good numbers out of those 3400's.

the mods i would recomend are:
-FWI (home built)
-180* thermostat, Ubend delete, plugs wires
-TB 60* (sells these)
-full exhaust system
-wider tires something in a 245 so you get more traction
-PCM or tuner

also have heard people adapting parts from the 3500 and 3600 and using them on the 3400. not sure how easy it is but its been done.

Oh and your right about the 3.4L DOHC beating down the NA 3800's! hey with my mods i can run down a stock GTP

Old 07-21-2007, 09:42 AM

I'm in the same boat as you STEG, but like everyone else has mentioned, you can do enough "on the cheap" to notice a difference. No one thing will increase your performance dramatically, but several small things will make a noticable improvement. That is, of course, until you start getting into heavy-duty mods.

A cold air intake coupled with a hi-flow cat and muffler will help a little - you'll keep the growl. If you're gonna push more air into the engine, you gotta let more air out, otherwise, you're not helping, you're hurting, performance. If you're gonna do that, you might just as well go with a bigger throttle body, or get yours ported. Polishing the intake manifold will help some too.

I replaced the stock wires with 8mm and went with a Bosch +4 plug. That made a big difference in my opinion, but I think it was because my plugs were shot out in the first place.

An underdrive pulley will add a little.

Headers will make a difference.

You can get into the heads too...you can get replacement heads.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:36 PM

the bosch +4s arent that good for these cars.... our DIS ignition system damages these plugs rather fast. and with 4 electrodes, it shields the spark and limits the chance for a good burn. the only good thing about the multi electrode style plugs is that they last longer in normal applications... this is cause there is more electrode to wear.

it has been well documented that bosch plugs dont give as much performance and dont last as long as other plugs in modern GM engines. the main reason is in the way the DIS ign sys works in our cars. it is a very hot spark (high voltage). it also fires two cylinders at once. (one on the power stroke and one on the exhaust.)

Oh forgot to ask. the biggest thing to consider when moding is your ulimate plan. now im not talking some wilde dream... consider exactly how much you are willing to spend and how fast you really want the car. from that you can deside if it is really worth trying to mod your motor or to do a engine swap or even buy a diff car. lightly modded NA cars arent all that expensive (not that big a HP diff though) also keep in mind it takes a lot of mone to stay NA when your aiming for higher HP #'s you can easily achieve similar HP with a rather cheap (compared to a full) turbo, SC, NO2 setup.

Quick Reply: Sick of my 3.4