Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Reducing cabin noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Reducing cabin noise

Hi guys,
So I have a 18" glasspack in place of my resonator and I'm getting a lot more cabin noise because of it. Does anyone have a way of reducing how much noise transfers from the glasspack through to the cabin? I'm thinking maybe using MLV, would that do the trick? Should I install it under the carpet inside the cabin or somehow attach it to the bottom of the car on the outside?

Last edited by Keudn; 03-31-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:05 PM

I guess the first question is why not go back to the stock resonator if you don't like the sound inside the car after the change? It just seems like you'd be chasing your tail trying to get rid of the unwanted noise, just so other people could hear the louder exhaust.

Lots of people have done sound deadener on these cars, especially those in car audio. The floor isn't typically a first place to start as the floor metal is fairly thick and doesn't resonate as much as the thinner side/top sheet metal. I do see that it could help a bit though in trying to keep the noise from entering the car in the first place.

I would definitely do it under the carpet. Putting it on the underside of the car would be a massive pain. You'd have to do a really good cleaning / prep job for it to adhere well, and it'll still be much harder to keep it stuck there being exposed to all of the elements. Id also be afraid of trapping water and such unless you sealed the perimeter well. Putting it inside eliminates all of those concerns.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I guess the first question is why not go back to the stock resonator if you don't like the sound inside the car after the change? It just seems like you'd be chasing your tail trying to get rid of the unwanted noise, just so other people could hear the louder exhaust.

Lots of people have done sound deadener on these cars, especially those in car audio. The floor isn't typically a first place to start as the floor metal is fairly thick and doesn't resonate as much as the thinner side/top sheet metal. I do see that it could help a bit though in trying to keep the noise from entering the car in the first place.

I would definitely do it under the carpet. Putting it on the underside of the car would be a massive pain. You'd have to do a really good cleaning / prep job for it to adhere well, and it'll still be much harder to keep it stuck there being exposed to all of the elements. Id also be afraid of trapping water and such unless you sealed the perimeter well. Putting it inside eliminates all of those concerns.
I don't want to go back to the stock resonator because right now the only thing on the car is the glasspack . I like how it sounds, but the interior resonates too much though. I knew MLV is pretty heavy and will add weight, but it sounds like the best way to help reduce it. Right now its super quiet when coasting and isn't too terrible on the highway, its around town in the low RPM range where things start resonating in the cabin and vibrating.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:26 PM

I guess the resonance was to be expected though, especially when removing the component that's supposed to eliminate it. It's definitely a common complaint when removing the resonator.

You're are right about that deadener being heavy stuff. Doesn't take much to add significant weight, especially if you end up doing the whole interior.