Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

ram air hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Default ram air hood

Anyram air hoods that isnt the one that has a late model camaro ss style scoop, or is that my only option?
I want a classic/muscle look for the 00 Thanks

Old 07-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Default RE: ram air hood

Yup, 2 are available.

http://www.mpd-inc.net/mc.htm - sells the best one. Lightweight and best construction. Costs more but worth it.

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/MC1001/MC/Mon...+Air+Hood.html - this is the knockoff copy, made with partial fiberglass. Weighs less than stock and costs less. It is still a great aftermarket hood though, no doubt about it.

They both look and perform the exact same in the end. If you are concerned about weight in the car like if you were going to race it or something, then MPD is the way to go. PFYC is exactly the same but it just weighs slightly more and made of different material - best bang for the buck.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:17 PM

Dan, 04Intimidator, again U R a good source of information
on the Monte Carlo. I was just doing research on hoods
and your post answered my friends question.
Thanks for help'in/Sharing your sources with
the members.
[hr]
Ryan, Welcome 2 the MCF
Please post of pic's of your 2000 SS &
share your awesome Monte with the members.
Wish you Safe/Fun/Fast miles in your Monte,
`Space

Old 07-01-2007, 04:36 PM

Excellent post! Thanks for the recommendation. It appears that they both can be made fully functional...

I cant even imagine... a Ram Air Hood with a GenV Intercooled Supercharger... Whew I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

Old 07-01-2007, 06:52 PM

The ram air isn't all its cracked up to be. The air has to still travel from the middle of the hood and get to the front of the car. The underside of the hood is still going to be hot from the engine bay so it will warm up the cold air being sucked into the engine.

Also aerodynamicly there is alot of back pressure since the air is moving forward into he scoop, then brought back to the front. That back pressure will also cause a bit air to slip over the scoop.

Basically remember air isn't going to be forced (rammed) into the engine. It will be slightly easier and it will also be a seconary source of air behind the front of the airbox.

Also consider this video below. Air IS being rammed into the throttle body and it did make a good gain, it wasn't as much as I thought the hype was all about. 10 HP?? While it is alot, I expected about 25 to 35 HP and a ram air hood isn't going to touch this. I would imagine it would be 3-5 HP though.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...AD23CA9564.htm

I've been thinking of getting one myself but maybe in a year or two. I plan to make the scoop functional, but not in the ram air sence. I'm going to just leave it cut out to let the cooler air help cool off the supercharger.

I think the gains from cooling off the supercharger housing would be more benificial than the actuall cooler air being sucked in since cool air is already being sucked in from the normal front portion of the airbox. If I can drop the supercharger just 20 degrees from 350ish it will drastically help reduce KR and increase HP.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

they both look the same to me, its too bad they dont make a dual ram air hood for the monte's like they do for the grand prix's

Old 07-01-2007, 07:48 PM

I've seen these hoods an wasnt too thrilled with either design though both could be accented with racing stripes, i was hoping for something more like the shaker hood off the mach 1 mustang. i guess the most effective hood would be one with ram air inlets up front like a trans am and a cowl induction in the rear to cool the engine compartment. It woul prolly be expensive and id want it to compliment the monte's unique headlights like the camaro's hood does

Old 07-01-2007, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: kent00SS

I've seen these hoods an wasnt too thrilled with either design though both could be accented with racing stripes, i was hoping for something more like the shaker hood off the mach 1 mustang. i guess the most effective hood would be one with ram air inlets up front like a trans am and a cowl induction in the rear to cool the engine compartment. It woul prolly be expensive and id want it to compliment the monte's unique headlights like the camaro's hood does
Actually the problem is your comparing hoods from2 completely different styles of vehicles. All those other vehicles are RWD where the engine and intake is in line with the transmission. The throttle body points to the front of the car so the air flows straight in.

Ours are FWD and the throttle body it toward the side and doesn't particularily take air that well.

The Trans Am design is probably the best and can be compared to the Grand Prix hood, but the GP's still have to kick the air 90* to the right into the air box and then it has to do a U turn to get to the throttle body. The TA is straight down the throat the way it should be.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:27 PM

How does the ram air funtion on a 5.0 EFI in a mutang, the upper intake on those came off to the side and theres tons of after market hoods for those could something be applied from those hoods?

Old 07-01-2007, 09:02 PM

Actually.. with all the ideas going around ive decided once the money is available to upgrade the air intake and route an intake hose. Theres a guy around here that can supposedly do wonders with fiberglass and id like to see if he could do more of a simple cowl induction. Its better to be unique anyways. Thanks for the input and fueling the brainstorm. This is a really great site!!

Quick Reply: ram air hood