Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Ram Air Hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Default Ram Air Hood

Looking at the ram air hood, does it really offer that much benefit for a monte or is it more for looks? On a TA, the intake openings in the hood meet up with the intake correct? but on the monte the intake is near the side of the vehicle, and the cowl is still in the center...any opinions here cuz im curious....I really like the look of the hood, but will it really help with air induction?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do you have the link to the hood that you are looking at?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Old 09-03-2010, 10:57 PM

Looking at it is kind of deceiving, Past the scoop it funnels it all in over where your cold air intake would be, The CAI that MPD Performance offers matches up to it perfect. Ive been thinking about it for a long time to.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:39 PM

miller, off topic....elaborate for me some of the mods you have done, esp. the supercharger...I was under the influence that there was not one out there for the 5.3's...?

Old 09-04-2010, 07:26 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Sorry man... I couldn't get enough info about the hood to tell. I have read in the past that you have to be doing 120+ to get any "real" benefit from a ram air hood. Style-wise, I like it. If you have the stock intake you shouldn't see any gains from the ram-air style hood. As for my car...
http://cartuning.ca/products/product...rlo&engine=ls4
Everything that is on that page, I have on my car. Not a supercharger though. A turbocharger. It is an expensive option, but IMO 100% worth it. I had to plan 6 months ahead with my wife in order to use my income tax return on it. If you have the experience and are willing to fab a little bit, any supercharger for the LS block will fit our cars. The only differences in our engine is the crank shaft is 13mm shorter (3mm on one side and 10mm on the other). The water pump is different (because of clearance issues). And the intake manifold is mounted "backwards". You can delete the DOD with a new valley cover which will allow you to use a larger intake manifold. e.g. FAST... The main restriction on our engine is the intake manifold which compresses to a "D" shape just past the throttle body. Good luck with the ride and hit me up if you have any questions.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

I have the '00 version..I got the one with the ram air cut out, although I never did the cutout, someone by me custom fabbed it where it dumps right by the air intake, but I am in agreement, I don't think air traveling "forward" through the plenum to the intake area can offer that much power

what it does offer is 2 things...1.) The aftermentioned looks, and 2.) Some weight reduction as it is lighter then the stock hood...

Joe

Old 09-04-2010, 11:55 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Well just the cooler air coming in will help a bit.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:47 AM

miller, my mistake, i misread your stuff. Seems like you have a pretty sweet ride. thanks for the info!

Thanks again for the responses everyone.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fogertyb
Looking at the ram air hood, does it really offer that much benefit for a monte or is it more for looks? On a TA, the intake openings in the hood meet up with the intake correct? but on the monte the intake is near the side of the vehicle, and the cowl is still in the center...any opinions here cuz im curious....I really like the look of the hood, but will it really help with air induction?
I have this hood on my 06 and a K&N CAI. Not a tight match up like the MPD CAI, but it does force the air a bit to the CAI, which we all know helps with air flow. How much? Couldn't really tell ya. Think the CAI gave me HP's as opposed to the hood. I do like the looks of it, very unique, although the other day I noticed some fine cracking in one of the corners of the opening. Sucks for me. I bought the hood Dec of 07. Time to visit the bodyshop.

Put Flowmaster 44's and bigger tips on a couple of weeks ago, seems to have a bit more pick up, not to mention it WAY more aggressive sounding.

But just for the record, knowing what I know now about the hood, I'd still buy it.

Last edited by Black Bowtie; 09-08-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Ram Air Hood