Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

quiet powerful exhaust setup

Old 11-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default quiet powerful exhaust setup

so, im looking for a quiet, powerful exhuast setup. i'd rather have power instead of loudness, i like to hear the engine. i dont want to just replace the exhaust, i'd like to do a full setup including headers. i've been trying to piece my exhaust together, but im undecided in what i should do. So im hoping for some good feedback if someone has tried something and it was either quiet or loud (so i know what to get or what NOT to get). also, what to do with the resonator. i was thinkin maybe pacesetter headers to keep cost kinda low, but unsure on how they will sound. i wanted to do borla exhaust, but i know they are pretty loud. any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Default RE: quiet powerful exhaust setup

If you want it as quiet as possible- just do the headers/downpipe and leave the stock catback. That'll give you the most power with the least sound, and you really aren't anywhere near maxing out your stock exhaust.

Honestly if you have an NA 3800 (non-supercharged), the pacesetter headers are awfully big. I know they're cheap, but they're like 1.75" primaries and a 3" DP IIRC- which is pretty big on a mildly modded NA setup.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:35 AM

just be leary about pacesetter. ive heard from random people that they can be cheaply made and dont always line up how they should? I was thinking of getting some, but I put modding my car very low on my list recently. Its not worth it for my 3400.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:56 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

Ya, i've actually heard that before too. But i really like the sound out of them. not worth the risk, plus i'd like to put quality parts on my car. not really an upgrade if it doesnt perform. anybody have good luck with headers? if so, what brand? I live in california where smog restrictions are ridiculous, so i dont believe any long tube headers are legal. Also, Bumpin96, how well would headers and a downpipe get along with the stock exhaust setup? Im not too familiar with exhaust setups and all the right terminology, so if someone could walk me through pro's and cons of a few setups and exactly what i'd need, that'd be great.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Personally if I were you, I'd stay away from headers and exhaust. Do the U-bend delete pipe, maybe the high-flow cat', and consider doing the front powerlog manifold from ZZPerformance, but I believe you will lose torque at the low end by going to headers. You will FEEL that power loss. If you are considering a cam, now that's different. A turbo kit is different yet. But the factory exhaust is good for over 300hp, and you're not EVEN close to that! I'm only about 315 with my modded S/C 3.8, and I'm still running the factory exhaust (cat back).
Do the powerlog and u-bend delete with a 2 1/2" downpipe and call it a day. Call ZZPerformance and ASK to speak with Tim, and pick his brain about this. He WILL NOT lead you wrong!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

Thats pretty interesting, i never even thought about the power log until you mentioned it. So what should i expect out of just doing the front power log? what options should i go with? should i do front and rear or just front? im guess they would take the place of getting headers right? i think i might do this. so i should go with powerlog _____> zzp downpipe w/ cat (have to, california emissions) The downpipe fixes the ubend delete so im good there. What should i expect from doing these mods? would i need anything else? im not good with exhaust so all the o2 sensors and stuff i dont really understand.

Thanks guys

Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 AM

I had the ZZP PLog and downpipe put on and it was a noticeable difference. Noticeable pickup in throttle response and changed the sound of the exhaust, a bit more growl. A very good way to go.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:41 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

I got to thinking i'd like this setup. What if i did the ceramic coated front powerlog, ceramic coated crossover, 2.5 inch zzp downpipe with magnaflow cat, and the gt1 cam? all of this can be found at zzp's website. that will give me the power i want, and the sound i want. not too loud, but baffles a little. i guess my only question is, can i cam a car that doesnt have fully upgraded exhaust, or would the stock exhaust hold if i just changed the above mentioned?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

ZZPerformance has told me that the stock exhaust is good to well over 300hp, and I've even heard 400hp. Not sure about that.
I have consulted with them on every upgrade, and they have yet to steer me wrong. They have told me what will add power, and what won't. The crossover and rear manifold (ceramic coated) reduce under hood heat, but in of themselves, do nothing to improve performance. The powerlog helps improve flow (read the web page, and you can SEE the dif'). On an L67 the crossover is more useful. The cost to me is prohibitive, with little hp gains.

Do the powerlog and U-bend delete pipe. IF you add the cam, the downpipe MIGHT help. I would think a cam would require an upgraded throttle body. Call ZZperformance and ask to speak with a tech (Tim preferably) about some of these questions.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

So me and Tim from ZZPerformance have been going back in forth through emails. I asked him about getting the front powerlog, crossover, downpipe w/ high flow cat, and the GT1 cam for my car. He said that everything will work fine with my car how it is currently set up, EVEN the cam. Since i already have the 1.0 pcm from zzp i dont need to change my pcm settings for the cam, it is just recommended that i get it setup for it. He said that it would not be an issue if i didnt. He also told me that my stock catback exhaust will be perfectly fine to run all this, including the cam.

This is great, because i dont wanna change the muffler to make it louder, just want the power really.

so next paycheck = front powerlog, downpipe w/ high flow cat (this will delete the u-bend as well), and GT1 cam!

what if i didnt get the front powerlog ceramic coated? anyone know how well the metal zzp uses will hold up in heat without the ceramic coating?? i dont want the pipe to have any problems w/ heat issues.

thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: quiet powerful exhaust setup