Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Quick Question Re: Stock Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM

what i mean if you dont have alot of mods the three inch would be to much for a stock engine if it was me i would be dissatisfide untill more mods

Old 02-25-2012, 08:48 PM
1 Year Member
Default It is done

I removed the resonator and replaced it with a straight piece. The car definitely sounds better! Not sure if it's as loud as I'd like it to be but we're getting there! The stock mufflers sound like Thrush turbo mufflers or something similar. I prefer the sound of a Dynomax Ultraflow - straight through design. I've never owned a Magnaflow muffler but I'm guessing I'd like it since they're straight through as well.

Then again, putting a glass pack where the resonator was and then running straight pipes out the back would be a decent alternative...

Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm straying a bit from the OP's original question, but I have found this to be a good and reliable reference for determining the required exhaust size:

How To Calculate Muffler Size and Exhaust Pipe Diameter | Exhaust Videos

Old 02-26-2012, 12:39 PM

N00B SAIB0T

Definitely turn off the DOD if you want an aggressive V8 sound.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:18 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I'm straying a bit from the OP's original question, but I have found this to be a good and reliable reference for determining the required exhaust size:

How To Calculate Muffler Size and Exhaust Pipe Diameter | Exhaust Videos
That's a good reference, thanks!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Chev E. Chelios
There's lot to be said for fooling unsuspecting challengers who think you're an easy target because they heard you when the DOD was on...

Get down on it...like it's a whole other car. The car's a nice sleeper with DOD left on.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 AM

im a little late to this, but when dod kicks in and you have some kind of exhaust it sounds terrible. i tuned it out right away because of that.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chev E. Chelios

umm? u can do that?

Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 AM

N00B SAIB0T

Originally Posted by hope4anarchy99
umm? u can do that?
Yes, with a tune. Also, the LS4 engines are known to burn through oil like crazy with DOD. Either get a Diablew tune with the Diablo handheld or get a custom tune from a dyno shop to turn it off. I'm a "spirited driver" so i can't tell you if there was a gain or loss in gas mileage

Ghost, my SS is straight piped and I couldn't stand the sound of a straight piped 4cyl. when I had DOD. I'd rather look stealthy and sound like a demon driving down the street, full time V8 FTW!

Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by hope4anarchy99
umm? u can do that?
theres a few ways to get rid of it. you can tune it out, you can do a cam/lifter swap, and there was one guy who wired it to run on a toggle switch(he posted a write up on ls1tech about it a year or so ago).

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Quick Question Re: Stock Exhaust