Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Quick Question

Old 01-24-2008, 12:41 AM
Default Quick Question

To those 5th gen's out there, just a question for you guys. If you have installed a CAI, how easy was it. I got mine from Milzy, and it arrives tomorrow, I was just wondering if you guys had any problems with it.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Default RE: Quick Question

They're easy.. you shouldn't run into problems.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:24 PM

Thats what i figured. I looked at it, and it looks more like a hot air intake. So I'm thinking of installing some sort of heat shield from plexe glass.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:47 PM

What's the difference in Intake Air Temperatures? Isn't that mostly a Geographical / Environmental factor? I'm pretty sure that all the Air that's going in my Intake is pretty cold just about now.

When the end of July and early August roll around ... it should be considerably warmer. There's got to be something to it or it wouldn't be an issue being discussed by Members of MCF.

What do I need to know about Cold Air Intake?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:04 PM

Well of course the current weather and conditions affect the temperature of the air going into your car, but an effective cai will help to block the heat(usually with a heat shield) from the filter, allowing colder air to be drawn in. A FWI(Fender well intake), will place the air filter somewhere in the fender, usually infront of the wheel well, so there is no need for a heat shield. Now of course with a long run on the engine, the heat shield will warm up, and thus not working as well, but it still helps a considerable amount to keep the air cool.

And if you don't know why a CAI is effective, it just allows the engine to drawn in colder air, which combusts better because colder air is more compressed, meaning more oxygen, and thus allowing the better combustion. As well, when you go with a cai or fwi, you usually have a bigger filter and bigger tubing, which allows more air to be drawn in. And also smooth walled tubing, which doesn't create turblene, so better air flow again. All of this adds up to a bit more power, and better gas mileage. However, because cars usually sound so much damn cooler with a cai, people lay into the pedal fairly heavy to hear that sound, which uses more gas, so you don't save much there. Haha.