Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

PCM Relocation for CAI

Old 06-09-2011, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default PCM Relocation for CAI

Hey guys i was bored earlier today and started getting some ideas for a cold air intake or something a little better than stock, and I'm not looking to spend $280 bucks.

My main concern is the pcm. I took out the stock box and went about trying to find a good location for it and ways to mount it down and protect it. So my question is, how well is the PCM weather-proofed if i decide to mount it where the stock box used to be? Or should i be looking to make a box for it as well?

If anyone has any pictures of their custom or aftermarket system, it will make me very happy! Thanks in advance

Old 06-09-2011, 12:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There are things called PCM trays that you can purchase and install, but everything is made to get wet, that is why the plugs have those gaskets around them.

People have just bungeed the PCM in place and had no problems.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Dmjr228
Hey guys i was bored earlier today and started getting some ideas for a cold air intake or something a little better than stock, and I'm not looking to spend $280 bucks.

My main concern is the pcm. I took out the stock box and went about trying to find a good location for it and ways to mount it down and protect it. So my question is, how well is the PCM weather-proofed if i decide to mount it where the stock box used to be? Or should i be looking to make a box for it as well?

If anyone has any pictures of their custom or aftermarket system, it will make me very happy! Thanks in advance

Here's a few pictures of the one I made ..Used zip ties to hold down PCM..
Cost Tube and Filter $28 ,tube and coupler $ 22, Box made from aluminum sheet Free.. Total $50 and about one hour to make Box ...

Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member

looks nice guys and thanks for the responses. Sorry it took me so long i went away for the weekend and got stranded on a lake for an hour after my buddy decided to play his ipod for an hour with the boat off, only to come back later that night to have part of his cottage set on fire....crazyy weekend but thats a whole other story. The good news is everyone is ok just some siding damage.

Any way back to the CAI, I'm fabbing up a custom box for the intake and should have everything done by the weekend. If everything works out right I'll post up the pictures I've been taking and I'll show the .dxf with all the dimensions on it that I'm using (I'll be using stainless steel and it'll be laser cut gotta love working at a steel processing center) and I'll post up some other cool things i made at work.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member

Alright so i finally got some progress done with the new CAI. I bought a K&N cone filter (3.5") and some ply reinforced silicone tubing ( about a foot) and made the intake shield at work. The air is being used from the fenderwell and the stock location. I got a little creative with the top and made a cut out for some tinted plexiglass so you can see the cone. I think it came out pretty sick.

In the first three pics you can see relief cuts that were made so i could bend the sides up. They were welded shut and i painted the "inside" black for my final product. Also the first three pics do not show the plexiglass but the last 2 do. The last 2 pics also show the tubing ply silicone tube i used, the tube actually goes past all the ribs in the elbow and stops right before the sensor.

As fas as gains go? Well its not a rocket ship but you feel the throttle response, you can hear the air getting sucked into the motor, idles smoother, and the engine sounds better imo. Plus it looks pretty cool. I'll probably take more pics later if anyone's interested, plus i got the whole step by step i took to get this far, but for now, Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails PCM Relocation for CAI-1.jpg   PCM Relocation for CAI-2.jpg   PCM Relocation for CAI-0616011129b.jpg   PCM Relocation for CAI-0703011230.jpg   PCM Relocation for CAI-0703011232.jpg  

Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very nice!

Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

that looks great, very nice work.....

Old 07-07-2011, 03:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

looks good you should make some more and sell them.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
looks good you should make some more and sell them.

X2, could make some easy $$$$$$$

Old 07-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Looks Nice..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCM Relocation for CAI