Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Opinions on 3.4L Exhaust needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:58 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

i went with a custom setup for my car, it was way cheaper than a catback exhaust

Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Another thing is that if you get your cat back and one pipe is bent just ever so slightly wrong, it could end up vibrating against something like a shock, the trunk, a floor pan, etc., and not much you can do with out firing up an acetylene torch!! It would be much harder to crawl around on a creeper with your car on jack stands than the exhaust man can at the shop too.... and for me, in retrospect, I would have never bought a cat back, I would have gone straight to Jamie at Muffler Express in Henderson, NC and let him do the whole thing. I would have come out less with an entire system installed and welded than just the price of my cat back, shipping not included!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So you guys think leave the Resonator in. Would it still sound good with the resonator left in. let me know thanks

Old 01-09-2010, 03:43 PM

5 Year Member

It won't make a big difference in the sound of the exhaust.... some, but not nearly enough to justify the sound it'll be making inside the interior. A man at an exhaust shop once told me those things are made similar to a glasspack, and that he has even used glasspacks as resonators..... with mufflers on the back aside from the glasspack. I got tired of my straight glasspack and had the stock mufflers welded back on with the glasspack still in teh middle of the car, and I swear it is just as quiet as stock with a glasspack in place of hte resonator, so I say he was right.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep

keep the resonator on. I agree with going with a smaller one,or a glass pack, but you will get a lot on interior drone and the car will sound raspy

Old 01-09-2010, 07:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Yea leave a resonator, but change it from the stock one. The stock resonator on my Monte had loovers to muffle the noise. The Magnaflow one that I had installed gave my car a more throaty sound, but kept the raspy sound out of the exhaust. Plus kept a lot of the drone out of the cabin on the highway!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member

OK sounds great guys, heres my plan, get u-bend out, muffler and tip. Try it with stock resonator and see how it sounds, if I don't like it get them to cut it out, start it, and if its too raspy then get a aftermarket resonator

Old 01-10-2010, 08:54 AM

kicker-you have a good plan. you should go to duals while you are doing the whole system. I think you would be happier with the sound and it would look better.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member

I would love to go duals and my car has the cutout in the bumper for the duals but i just cant afford dropping 700-800$ bucks on that now, I just bought a sled and I now need to pay a 125$ window tint ticket lol so Im trying to get the best sound for my buck

Old 01-10-2010, 04:02 PM

5 Year Member

If you REALLY know you want to go dual, it may be worth the money to just to call it off for now. I know you're excited, but hold on! It'll cost more later to dual it out after doing all that other work than to just put a y in and do it now. I say let it go for the time being, set up a savings account for the exhaust, and when you've got the money saved up, go do it all at one time, you'll save in the long run.

Quick Reply: Opinions on 3.4L Exhaust needed!