Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

No P0420 code after running tank of E85?

  #1  
Old 07-17-2011, 08:43 AM
abro22's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Lafayette
Posts: 40
Default No P0420 code after running tank of E85?

About a week ago, I got the infamous P0420 code and have been meaning to change the cat, but haven't gotten the chance the past few days. Regardless, I decided to fill the tank up with E85 yesterday (regular unleaded here is around $3.65/Gal whereas E85 is $3.03) and after roughly 20 min of driving, my P0420 code went away and the feeling of backpressure that was there (preventing me from speeding lol) is now gone.

Question is: does E85 burn that differently??? I mean, it burns at a higher temp because of the ethanol.. but other than that? I just found it interesting that it burns differently enough that it can pass through the cat with ease, where regular gasoline just builds up pressure..
 
  #2  
Old 07-17-2011, 05:28 PM
zipper's Avatar
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Shelby, MI
Posts: 1,835
Default

Ethanol is a clean fuel. Whenever you burn ethanol in your engine, you're also cleaning everything that the ethanol goes through. If your O2 sensor was dirty, it COULD have cleaned it (although I would be a little surprised by that).

I highly recommend running ethanol in vehicles as long as your PCM is ready for it. It's a great high octane fuel.
 
  #3  
Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,209
Default

Sorry- really off topics here:

Location: West Lafayette
Indiana I assume? Are you going to Purdue? MET grad '08 here- woot!
 
  #4  
Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 PM
abro22's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Lafayette
Posts: 40
Default

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte View Post
Sorry- really off topics here:



Indiana I assume? Are you going to Purdue? MET grad '08 here- woot!
Yessir, second year of ME. haha I knew some other Purdue people had good taste in cars
 
  #5  
Old 07-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rocky Point, NY
Posts: 196
Default

Originally Posted by abro22 View Post
About a week ago, I got the infamous P0420 code and have been meaning to change the cat, but haven't gotten the chance the past few days. Regardless, I decided to fill the tank up with E85 yesterday (regular unleaded here is around $3.65/Gal whereas E85 is $3.03) and after roughly 20 min of driving, my P0420 code went away and the feeling of backpressure that was there (preventing me from speeding lol) is now gone.

Question is: does E85 burn that differently??? I mean, it burns at a higher temp because of the ethanol.. but other than that? I just found it interesting that it burns differently enough that it can pass through the cat with ease, where regular gasoline just builds up pressure..
Ive been running E85 lately, actually every fill up for the past 2 months... Im not quite sure if i can see a difference in performance, i mean i havnt tested the gains in any way. I actually did switch to E85 in attempt to cure a problem that i thought could be my cat, but it did not work/help. Im just curies too what should be expected from E85? is it going to help our cars live a little longer or something lol?
 
  #6  
Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 PM
abro22's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Lafayette
Posts: 40
Default

Originally Posted by 06-montelt2 View Post
Ive been running E85 lately, actually every fill up for the past 2 months... Im not quite sure if i can see a difference in performance, i mean i havnt tested the gains in any way. I actually did switch to E85 in attempt to cure a problem that i thought could be my cat, but it did not work/help. Im just curies too what should be expected from E85? is it going to help our cars live a little longer or something lol?
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
Ethanol is a clean fuel. Whenever you burn ethanol in your engine, you're also cleaning everything that the ethanol goes through. If your O2 sensor was dirty, it COULD have cleaned it (although I would be a little surprised by that).

I highly recommend running ethanol in vehicles as long as your PCM is ready for it. It's a great high octane fuel.
Like he said ^, ethanol is clean-burning and high octane. So, even though E85 isn't pure ethanol, it's a higher octane fuel than just plain gasoline. It gives a quicker combustion in the engine (hence lower gas mileage), but it does offer a slight boost in pick-up.
Since it's clean burning though, it doesn't leave as much carbon in the engine so obviously the engine stays cleaner and supposedly has a longer life span.
 
  #7  
Old 07-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11
Default

I'm a little car dumb but have a comment/question about this. Is E85 ok to put in my car? 03' monte ss.... stock
 
  #8  
Old 07-28-2011, 06:07 AM
ChibiBlackSheep's Avatar

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wyncote, PA
Posts: 24,822
Default

ains3614, no. Your car is not "flex-fuel".
 
  #9  
Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11
Default

thanks
 
  #10  
Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 PM
zipper's Avatar
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Shelby, MI
Posts: 1,835
Default

You can make a 3800 capable of running E85 though. It would take larger injectors, a flex fuel fuel filter (I believe from a flex fuel 2004 Chevy Tahoe would work), and a tune. Then you would be all set.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
01whitess
Monte Carlo Repair Help
10
07-01-2013 01:34 AM
02CHEVYMONTESS
Monte Carlo Repair Help
33
02-23-2013 03:52 PM
MonteMan92
Monte Carlo Repair Help
6
01-05-2012 12:13 PM
TheFrayed
Headers/Intake/Exhaust
6
11-13-2010 04:55 AM
prodigynius
Monte Carlo Repair Help
11
09-04-2009 01:56 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No P0420 code after running tank of E85?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.