Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   new exhaust for 3.9 LT (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/new-exhaust-3-9-lt-19684/)

bthmetal87 03-27-2010 10:08 PM

new exhaust for 3.9 LT

Im looking to get a more aggressive sounding exhaust that doesnt have a raspy sound. Just looking for that low rumble. Anyone out there have any idea or suggestions?

monte carlo 3831 03-27-2010 10:44 PM

I am planning on swapping out my mufflers and tips with the following, hopefully I get a better sound out of my 3.9?? also if anyone here has any better suggstions please let me know, thanks

not sure if the links here will work? I had to do a copy and paste thing which I am not very good at, hope it works...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MP...s_ss=yahoomail

bthmetal87 03-28-2010 12:08 AM

I came across this setup in my searching. Little pricey, but i think it would do the trick. Any thoughts?

http://www.bodykits.com/shop/

monte carlo 3831 03-28-2010 12:27 AM

when I did the search on what you posted it came back with bodykits? you're looking for a better exhaust, right? if so, I took my car to a local meineke and asked what I could do and they said, why would you trash a completely good cat and resonator for a cat back system that costs anywhere form $700 to $800! so, I'm just gonna replace my mufflers with magnaflow mufflers and new tips. Most people here would also suggest the same! Hope that helps....

bumpin96monte 03-28-2010 12:54 AM

lol, are you looking for exhaust or a body kit?

Frosty LS1 03-28-2010 08:52 AM

There's another user on here, I forget his name, that has the 3.9 LT Monte and he had just slapped the SLP Powerflo exhaust on and says he loves it. Although he did mention some problems with fitting the larger tips in through the bumper in the rear, hopefully he comes around and gives his experience on this.

bthmetal87 03-28-2010 10:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I dont know why my link didnt work. It's a website that does bodykits, but the exhaust was there. If anyone is curious, this is what i was talking about. http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0A2655633.aspx

But after looking at just mufflers and tips i'm leaning towards those purely based on price.

mak330 03-28-2010 06:03 PM

i just got the slp cat back. i have a 3.5 though, dont know if it would sound that different. i took it to a ghetto ass shop that threw every thing on but told me to cut the bumper. it sounded REALLY LOUD w/o tips. ive since hung the mufflers lower and under the bumper so the 3.5 tips would fit.

i love the way its sounds now. i have no clue why tips would make it sound so different but they do. that kit goes for 614 tax included from summitracing.com im not sure if they charge tax if you dont live in ohio. anyways it deletes the resonator, and its made from the highest quality stainless steel. (t304) its guaranteed agaist rust. it sounds really good.

i basicly got it cause it uses the same steel as the corsa and borla setups for half the price, but was surprised in the sound and looks.

GL

a lot of ppl put magnaflows on there but i live in a state that snows so i didnt want to pay the same price for a setup that rusts. magnaflows sound great too, but are for fair weather states. my dad put a stainless cat on his jeep about 6 months ago and its rusted though already. but we do get a lot of snow/salt.

monte carlo 3831 03-28-2010 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by mak330 (Post 212985)
a lot of ppl put magnaflows on there but i live in a state that snows so i didnt want to pay the same price for a setup that rusts. magnaflows sound great too, but are for fair weather states. my dad put a stainless cat on his jeep about 6 months ago and its rusted though already. but we do get a lot of snow/salt.

mak330, are you saying I should stay away from the Magnaflows? I thought they were decent quality mufflers, let me know what you think, thanks

*the reason I'm asking is because I also live in a heavy snow area :eek:

Frosty LS1 03-28-2010 06:23 PM

Hopefully Chibiblacksheep will chime in on this thread and defend his Magnaflow exhaust. Lol.

AwesomeSS 03-28-2010 07:47 PM

I thought the Magnaflow exhaust was Stainless. I had a Magnaflow cat back on my 05 V6 Mustang and it was stainless and held up pretty well the 2 winters I drove it.

bumpin96monte 03-28-2010 07:58 PM

Straight off magnaflow's site:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...one=all&id=523

Material: 100% Stainless Steel
its the exhaust for the 3.5 and 3.9- and for $1000, it sure better be stainless!

That exhaust would last longer than the car.

monte carlo 3831 03-28-2010 08:05 PM

Chad (bumpin96) thanks for all your help, I appreciate it very much....

monte carlo 3831 03-29-2010 05:40 PM

bump, I thought for sure I would get more input from the weekday guys on this?

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831 (Post 212770)
I am planning on swapping out my mufflers and tips with the following, hopefully I get a better sound out of my 3.9?? also if anyone here has any better suggstions please let me know, thanks

not sure if the links here will work? I had to do a copy and paste thing which I am not very good at, hope it works...

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831 (Post 212792)
I took my car to a local meineke and asked what I could do and they said, why would you trash a completely good cat and resonator for a cat back system that costs anywhere form $700 to $800! so, I'm just gonna replace my mufflers with magnaflow mufflers and new tips. Most people here would also suggest the same! Hope that helps....

Originally Posted by Quatermain N/A SS (Post 212989)
Hopefully Chibiblacksheep will chime in on this thread and defend his Magnaflow exhaust. Lol.

Chibi, Mamonte, anyone......

TheMonteMan 03-29-2010 05:55 PM

i have a magnaflow exhaust on my car for the past two winters. resonator is still clean and shiney i pulled the mufflers off about a year ago. the actual piping is rusted though. if you really want i can post pics. its not a rotten mess just surface rust.

monte carlo 3831 03-29-2010 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan (Post 213212)
i have a magnaflow exhaust on my car for the past two winters. resonator is still clean and shiney i pulled the mufflers off about a year ago. the actual piping is rusted though. if you really want i can post pics. its not a rotten mess just surface rust.

thanks for the response, no pics needed, thanks

bumpin96monte 03-29-2010 08:39 PM

Could be 400 series stainless for the piping? There are types of stainless which will develop a light surface rust, but will take far longer than mild steel to rust through.

mak330 03-29-2010 09:13 PM

im just saying from my dads personal expirience, it does come with a warranty and was replaced.

there are 2 kinds of stainless and the t409 that magnaflow uses is a lower quality stainless that will surface rust and requires scuffing to keep clean.

im not downing magaflow i think its a quality product that sounds great.

i do a lot of research b4 i buy anything over 100 bucks. do a seach on t409 and rust, there are many topics on the subject.

any metal WILL rust, some just last longer than others. in ohio they use a lot of salt and expiement with things like beet juice and such. so in my research i found that t304 will hold up and look better in the long run.

also i know its not the same engine, but there is a vidon youtube of a challenger with the 3.5/slp loudmouth II setup, and i think it sounded great so i gave it a shot. and im impressed. so far.

bthmetal87 03-29-2010 11:52 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like its gonna be just the mufflers and tips for now. Maybe save my money for some engine mods sometime.

MAMONTE 03-30-2010 07:41 AM

Hands down, I defend and recommend Magnaflow exhaust, especially on a V6. IMO it is the least raspy sounding muffler for the V6's.

Magnaflow mufflers are made of 304 stainless steel, at least some of them are. I am almost 100% positive the exhaust shop that did my mufflers told me my Magnaflows were 304 stainless steel. Also, the GM-Cat back exhaust (which is made by Magnaflow IS a 304 stainless steel system).

IMO unless your factory exhaust is completly rusted through, there is really no need to spend all that money on a cat back exhaust. If you replace the mufflers, resonator, and tips, you essentially have yourself a cat-back exhaust set up for right around $350-400 (thats about what I paid for my exhaust set up on my 3.5L) I have dual Magnaflow mufflers, tips, and a 14" Magnaflow resonator. Sound great, and has held up really well over the almost 3 years its been on the car and 100,000+ miles. (I do live in CA, so winters are not much of an issue around here).

ChibiBlackSheep 03-30-2010 09:20 AM

x2 for Magnaflow here. I have the GMPP exhaust system on my car, and it is T-304 SS.

These exhaust systems are made from high-quality T-304 stainless steel to not only look great, but to also guarantee a long life.

I live in the Poconos, I put it on in the winter, and it's still looking amazing. Sounds really great too.

For exhaust systems, you just have to make sure you know what it is made out of, and fi you like the sound. END of story. That's how you choose what you want.

mak330 03-30-2010 03:52 PM

lol again i must stress how i wasnt trying to know magnaflow. they sound great. with my personal expirience one of there products did not last long, and was replaced. the cat back setup from them is made from t409.
maybe some individual mufflers are made from t304.

i replaced mine cause 2 local muffler shops and a dealer told me that my exhaust was imaculate. and it looked and sounded great untill i drove for over 5 minutes then it would make a very annoying popping noise at red lights and drive threws. very embarrasing.

get whatever you want. most ppl on here spend about 350-450. from going from a single to dual. im sure you can go cheaper if you want.

wiseheak 05-28-2011 11:54 AM

Hey Monte 3831,

Did you end up getting the magnaflow exhaust and tips? I'm looking into adding these to 3.9 and I'd like to know what it's like.

myfirstbowtie 06-09-2011 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by wiseheak (Post 328309)
Hey Monte 3831,

Did you end up getting the magnaflow exhaust and tips? I'm looking into adding these to 3.9 and I'd like to know what it's like.

Monte3831 (Chris) bought a pair of Magnaflow mufflers & tips from Summit Racing on eBay.

I found this video of a 3.9L Impala with Flowmaster Super 44s on it that I think sounds pretty good: YouTube - ‪2006 Impala 3.9 3LT w/ Flowmaster Super 44's‬‏
What do you all think about Flowmasters for my 3.9?

mak330 - Do you have any videos up of your SLP exhaust? I'd like to hear how it sounds.

monte carlo 3831 06-09-2011 11:52 AM

Mark (myfirstbowtie) thanks for answering that, I guess I totally missed that post.....

myfirstbowtie 06-10-2011 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 213445)
For exhaust systems, you just have to make sure you know what it is made out of, and if you like the sound. END of story. That's how you choose what you want.

Yeah, but that's the hardest part of choosing an exhaust system -- finding out what it sounds like before you buy it. I've been looking on YouTube for videos of exhausts for Monte V6's, especially the 3.9, but there's not much up there. The 7th gen Montes in my area all seem to be stock with no mods made to them. I haven't seen any V6 Montes at any car shows locally either.

So nobody has any opinions about the Flowmaster exhaust I posted a link to, or Flowmaster in general for my 3.9?

wiseheak 06-11-2011 09:27 PM

myfirstbowtie those actually sound really nice in the 3.9, it's definitely worth looking into.

monte 3831, what model numbers did you get for the mufflers and exhaust tips? And about how much did you pay for them?

monte carlo 3831 06-11-2011 09:43 PM

I purchased everything from summit racing using E-bay, I hope that helps..

Magnaflow Tips # 35126 $64.18 each...Product ID: 35126 Category: MagnaFlow Performance Mufflers-Stainless Steel Tips
Magnaflow Double Wall Tip Stainless Steel Straight Cut
Description: Magnaflow Double Wall SS Tip 4" Straight Cut

http://www.hottexhaust.com/doublewal...les/35126.jpeg

Magnaflow Muffler # 14362 $ 96.87 each...Product ID: 14362 Category: MagnaFlow Performance Mufflers-Stainless Steel ( Polished Finish)-Oval
4x9x11 Magnaflow Stainless Offset/Center Product ID=14362
Description: 4x9x11 Magnaflow Stainless Offset/Center 2.25" ID

http://www.hottexhaust.com/images/Ne...ls/4x9oc18.jpg

model16 06-13-2011 03:13 AM

Cant say for the V6..BUT! I have the SLP Loudmouth for my 06 SS..And in my opinion it had the same deep rumble as the Magnaflows, just a bit louder...It also costs about 2-300 dollars less depending where you buy it from.

A word on Flowmasters...Alot of people praise them, but in pretty much every application, Magnaflow always sounds better..Just my opinion!

06-montelt2 07-01-2011 11:25 AM

Im purchasing the magnaflow dual exhaust for my monte, i have a 2006 3.5 and i would be going from a single to a dual exhast. My problem is im not too sure what i need to make sure that the drivers side muffler would mount properly see as there are no mounts or hangers on that side since i have a single exhaust.

monte07 07-01-2011 07:30 PM

give you a hint the part # for the hanger for the driver side is one of two types 12498653 or nal-12498653 i got it from gm parts direct for about 12-15 for shiping and the parts together.

06-montelt2 07-03-2011 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by monte07 (Post 339243)
give you a hint the part # for the hanger for the driver side is one of two types 12498653 or nal-12498653 i got it from gm parts direct for about 12-15 for shiping and the parts together.

I love you Haha, my life is so much easier thanks to you!!!

monte07 07-04-2011 07:25 AM

i am getting ready to get duals but i was looking for the hangers for it i didnt want to have a set welded on. i ronically there is a spot for the hangers to bolt up to because chevy probably figures that why not do it to get it out of the way and also figured there would be some out there looking to put duals on. imo it looks better sounds better and anouther imo helps to make it breath a little better. our monte's looks sexy with duals on them

06-montelt2 07-05-2011 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by monte07 (Post 339852)
i am getting ready to get duals but i was looking for the hangers for it i didnt want to have a set welded on. i ronically there is a spot for the hangers to bolt up to because chevy probably figures that why not do it to get it out of the way and also figured there would be some out there looking to put duals on. imo it looks better sounds better and anouther imo helps to make it breath a little better. our monte's looks sexy with duals on them

Great input! cant wait to get my duals!!!:thumbsup: