Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, Less Power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Default New CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, Less Power?

Hey Everyone, I'm new to this site. Just bought an 06 Monte SS, and love it. A few weeks after I bought it, I had a K&N CAI installed, along with a magnaflow exhaust system installed at our local performance dealer.

I was really hoping to see an increase in performance, however - it feels as though i've lost something. Pre exhaust and K&N install, I was running 0-60 times of low 6's quite consistanly (6.13, 6.24, in that range). WIth the exhaust and K&N, i'm having a problem getting under 7 seconds, and am generally getting between 7.1 - 7.3 seconds.

Obviously something isn't right... but I'm not sure what has happened. The Magnaflow system is the 3", designed specifically for the Monte SS.

Has anyone had this happen before? When I brought the issue up with a couple friends, they were thinking the ECU could be holding back and might need to be re-programmed/reset. Any ideas? I'm quite dissapointed...

Old 07-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jimmeh
Hey Everyone, I'm new to this site. Just bought an 06 Monte SS, and love it. A few weeks after I bought it, I had a K&N CAI installed, along with a magnaflow exhaust system installed at our local performance dealer.

Welcome!
I was really hoping to see an increase in performance, however - it feels as though i've lost something. Pre exhaust and K&N install, I was running 0-60 times of low 6's quite consistanly (6.13, 6.24, in that range). WIth the exhaust and K&N, i'm having a problem getting under 7 seconds, and am generally getting between 7.1 - 7.3 seconds.

Obviously something isn't right... but I'm not sure what has happened. The Magnaflow system is the 3", designed specifically for the Monte SS.

Has anyone had this happen before? When I brought the issue up with a couple friends, they were thinking the ECU could be holding back and might need to be re-programmed/reset. Any ideas? I'm quite dissapointed...

I have the same setup as you on my 06 SS and diffenately had a lot more power. Did you check your K&N install for lose hoses and/or wires? Also insure the sensor module is installed correctly ther is an arrow on it for direction of air flow.
I did do a Dialblo tune also and that may be the diffrence. Also If the K&N cone is over oiled it will coat the air sensor in the intake and should them be cleaned. I used brake cleaner but some one on the fourm said they make a cleaner just for the intake air sensor.

Good luck..

Old 07-24-2011, 09:05 PM

Thanks Tadcaster... I took a look at everything you mentioned - looks good. From what I can tell, there is only 1 hose that goes into the engine, and it's nice and snug. The intake is 1 week old, but there is no buildup or anything on the air sensor. I didn't see an arrow on it though?

I wonder if the ECM just doesn't know what's going on... maybe this Diablo tuner is the key to unlocking the power...

Any other ideas out there?

Old 07-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i put the magnaflow system on my car and k&n cai (also airaid TBS and aluminum motor mount)but i dont have a tune yet. i feel a difference in power seems like my car runs alot better. I cant wait for a tune tho

Old 07-25-2011, 02:06 AM

I installed one about a year and a half ago or so....This was about a year before I did my tune..

It shouldnt give you poorer performance....I mean honestly it really shouldnt do anything at all(the K-N)..Thats odd. Maybe over oiled? Normally this is a problem on the square filters though, not really K-N cone filters.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sometimes you can decrease torque when you modify and open exhaust restrictions.

How has the weather been? Honestly the K&N CAIs aren't the best at preventing heat soak. You could honestly just been getting higher intake temperatures and your car is pulling timing on you.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
Also If the K&N cone is over oiled it will coat the air sensor in the intake and should them be cleaned. I used brake cleaner but some one on the fourm said they make a cleaner just for the intake air sensor.
I believe MAF sensor cleaners are basically the same as electrical contact cleaners. If you clean your MAF sensor, use electrical contacts cleaner (available at most auto parts stores, even Walmart). The alcohol base dries very quickly without leaving a residue (the problem with brake cleaner).

Old 07-30-2011, 05:22 PM

I ended up getting a Diablo Trinity tuner... it seems to have perked it back up again. Maybe something in the factory tune was restriciting? Anyways... I'm pulling a lot harder then before, and it seems like it's woke up. I'm easily getting 5.9-6.1 seconds 0-60 (based on the numbers from the diablo tuner). I love the feeling of the tires trying to catch pavement at 50-70km/h when i'm getting a little squeal. Feelin' good again

Old 07-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jimmeh
I ended up getting a Diablo Trinity tuner... it seems to have perked it back up again. Maybe something in the factory tune was restriciting? Anyways... I'm pulling a lot harder then before, and it seems like it's woke up. I'm easily getting 5.9-6.1 seconds 0-60 (based on the numbers from the diablo tuner). I love the feeling of the tires trying to catch pavement at 50-70km/h when i'm getting a little squeal. Feelin' good again
Now you need a LEW Tune. I had the stock Diablo performance tune then I got the LEW tune 10 times better.

He is a member here too (06MonteSS) is his ID .

More at;
DiabLew Tune - Custom Diablosport Predator and Trinity Tunes by 06MonteSS

Old 08-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I was going to say, try disconnecting the negative for a half hour and see what happens when you reconnect it.

Quick Reply: New CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, Less Power?