Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New 07 SS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:06 AM

i want as much power as i can get but i dont want to be too loud and im not going turbo or anything like that. price is not really an issue as long as its not crazy so im thinkin bout true duals no cat or res with flows.........what is a CAI?

Old 11-30-2010, 03:35 PM

cold air intake. welcome to the forum. personally i wouldnt get rid of the resonator. im not a fan of how they sound without it. id get a catless hogan down pipe, get rid of the mufflers, do a ls1/ls6 intake swap, and get a tune. one of the guys on tech is close to flat 13s with intake and exhaust mods with a tune on street tires. true duals arent necessary and ive only seen them one on wbody. tight fit.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by iceman56607
what is a CAI?

check here .....http://www.coldairinductions.com/

Old 11-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just keep in mind that an exhaust system with no cat or res is going to be pretty loud. If you're okay with that, then that's cool. I really like loud v8's so I say go for that. However, don't go true dual, it doesn't work for fwd vehicles. There's no shame in splitting the exhaust down the line, you are still relieving some back pressure so it all works out.

Whatever you do, please post a video. I like how v8's sound

Old 12-18-2010, 01:47 AM

if its going to be really loud with no cat or res than that is not what i want. Remember i said i cant be too loud and my last monte with the 3.9l with flows was almost too loud. I just want somthing NO LOUDER than that but i want to maximize my performance. Does removing the cat and the res give you more horsepower? if so how much? I will post pics asap!!
thanks for all the support

Old 12-18-2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by iceman56607
if its going to be really loud with no cat or res than that is not what i want. Remember i said i cant be too loud and my last monte with the 3.9l with flows was almost too loud. I just want somthing NO LOUDER than that but i want to maximize my performance. Does removing the cat and the res give you more horsepower? if so how much? I will post pics asap!!
thanks for all the support
without a tune, running straight piped is not going to give you any real gains, what you lose in torque you might pick up in horsepower and viceversa across the rpm range ...

if you are simply after performance rather than sound, Cold air intake, catless downpipe, and a full 3 inch exhaust WITH TUNE ... might be your best bet under $1200-1500 ... other than that, without knowing your monetary resources or interest in doing things further down the road, its too difficult to speculate as to what the best will be ...

plenty of guys on LS1tech.com have done numerous combinations of things, time and time again ... as there is no one, significant thing we can do to out LS4's that is the arguable best HP/ per $ ... sure some things will gain horsepower, but youll lose mileage, and once again ... vice versa ...

IMHO, if all you are looking for the is the cheapest and easiest way to gain HP in a stock monte carlo ss ... the solution ive come to is ... buy a different car ... but if like everyone else here, you bought the car for its looks, and available features, you have to risk the gamble a bit and start with one thing, if its not enough, enjoy it until you can afford something else ...

sure i'd love to get my car tuned, install a shift kit, lighter rims and tires, drop it and go out and start messing with 2009 and older mustang gt's ... but i still have a powertrain warranty - so for now, or until the warranty is up, making ricers get mad is enough for me ... sure i can "hang" with mustangs and camaros, but lets face it ... this isnt a race car with seatbelts like the old muscle cars were in the late 60's early 70's were, where swapping tires, rear end and carbs would get you a full strip car that could still be driven on the street ...

EDIT - please dont think im discouraging you from trying anything ... but if you are trying to get quick on a small budget ... this was not the best starting point ... and like everything else that comes from me ... it could all be bull****

Last edited by drjesus616; 12-18-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

heres a comparison between res and no res in a monte. sounds good either way i think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JISd...ure=grec_index

Old 12-19-2010, 08:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

But if you have the money there is a lot you can do with these car's but you have to be the judge from CAI to header to tune or turbo but be ready for tranny issues if your going to hammer on it all the time.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
heres a comparison between res and no res in a monte. sounds good either way i think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JISd...ure=grec_index
I think everyone's preference is different but I for one don't care for cars without a res. I like my car a little bit quieter.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

i just heard a bone stock ss today, and they sound nice, it was cold tho so that might have made it deeper