Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New 07 SS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Default New 07 SS!!!

He guys whats going on im new to the forum and i just got a 07 ss not too long ago. i hear all this talk on here about te L36 and L67 eninges and i was wondering what that means and what types of montes they came in nd just pretty muich what the difference is. Do i have one of these in my SS? and if not what do i have.

The car is completely stock and i would like to get some more power out of it. I just had a 06 lt3 with flowmasters but IDK if it had the cats or not i think they might have just put the flowmasters on there with the tips and thats it. What do you guys think i should to in order???? i was tinking like

1. Exaust prob flowmasters but idk about the downpipe or the cat or res and idk if i want 2 1/4 or 2.5 in pipes
2. k & n intake
3. idk???

Feel free to comment all opinions welcome. The only thing about number one is like i said before i had the 3.9l on my 06 with flowmasters but it was kinda too loud for me. and idk what was done to it because i got it like that, but i think thy just put the flows on there. And my SS is stock and is too quiet for me, like i can barely even hear it and i cant when i drive, i want a little rumble if you know what i mean, just not too much.

Let me know what you guys think.
thanks

Old 11-26-2010, 01:13 AM

dude, try a search, even here its been said at least 2-3 times before ...

not being a dick, but im quite sure ive responded at least once to this same thing ...

Old 11-26-2010, 06:26 AM

Welcome to the site.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome! Hope you find your answers!

Old 11-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi and welcome to MCF! I'll help you with some of your questions.

L36 = Series II 3800v6 which was available in 98-99 Z34's, 00-04 SS', and the 05 LT
L67 = Series II supercharged 3800 v6 and was available in 04-05 SS'

You don't have one of these. You have an LS4.

LS4 = 5.3L v8 and was in the 06-07 SS'

As far as what to do to get more power out of it, we need to know what your goals and your budget are first. Do you want 500whp and run a 11 second 1/4 mile time? Or do you just want it to sound good and be a little more peppy?

Now onto your numerical questions:

1) Again, it depends on your goals. If you just want the sound, simply replace/remove your mufflers. If you want performance you will want the pipes to be 3" considering that you have the LS4.

2) It would be cheeper to make your own intake and put a K&N filter on it. This will help a little bit with performance, but you will hear a difference. It makes the engine louder.

3) I don't know what you're asking so I can't answer that, lol.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-26-2010, 06:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the site!!
You can Get a set of Headers, a CAI , Exhaust system, Roller Rocker's Push Rod's Spring's Tune, Turbo, It all depends on the money you want to spend

Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 PM

right now im not trying to spend too much i just wanna start slow. Like zipper said right now im just trying to get it to sound better and be a little more peppy. So im thinking im going to start with the exaust but i dont wanna just throw the mufflers, if i got true duals what else would i need? like a downpipe? what about the cats? remove? and what is a resonator and what do a do with that? what about everything i hear about a CAI?

and as i asked before wouldnt 3 inch pipes be too big? On my 455 cutlass wit 500 hp i only got 2.5 inch wit 3" tips. So i wanna do the exuast right but at the same time i dont want it to be too loud....

Thanks for all the help so far

Old 11-28-2010, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by iceman56607
right now im not trying to spend too much i just wanna start slow. Like zipper said right now im just trying to get it to sound better and be a little more peppy.

if all youre going for is sound without excessive cost, then cut out the resonator ( acoustic resonators that work with the muffler to reduce noise, by making sound waves "cancel each other out ) - in effect the resonator quiets down the harshness apparent in the natural sound from your motor ... like what the mufflers do, but mufflers are meant to deaden, and tune the noise

if you going to do it in pieces, and want it livelier without spending a bunch, then get a straight section of pipe welded up in place of it, a decent shop shouldnt charge you more than 50 bucks ... my entire exhaust modification was removing the resonator, swapping out stock mufflers for Thrush Welded series ( kind of like flowmaster 40's ) and getting new tips ( recently ) and it only cost me around 180-220 dollars total

sounds twice as loud under 2200 - 2800 rpm but normal driving and in DOD, its only marginally louder ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYaQcCXB5qA

EDIT - 3 inch true duals would be way too big, and somewhat pointless ( imho ) because the downpipe makes duals pointless, why split whats already been collected once ?... some guys do the single 3 inch to a 2.5" Y pipe ... if they dont go with a magnaflow system, some people are brave enough to straight pipe it, no cat, no resonator, no mufflers, but clearly they dont have emissions testing in their state and the cops arent bored and picky ...

ive been in cars with the catless downpipe and doug thorley Headers, and the price is not worth the hassle ... nor is the whistle worth putting up with ... full headers, catless downpipe, and full custom 3 inch exhaust would probably run you around 2000 and youre going to throw codes and/or need a tune ...

hope this helps ... p.s ... WE NEED PICTURES

Last edited by drjesus616; 11-28-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:15 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

3" is too big if you're not going to do anything with the Monte, but if he does plan on going turbo, then he will want a 3" exhaust system. That's why I asked him what his goals are. If all you want is sound iceman, then just remove and replace the mufflers. It won't be too loud, but it will be loud enough.