Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

need help/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Default need help/opinions

Hello all!
I am seriously considering a new exhaust for my 06LT 3.5. First off, the only aftermarket exhaust available is the Magnaflow, and its quite pricey, so I want to be absolutely certain about this decision. Also I will have to live with it whether I like it or not for as long as I own the car - it would bea costly mistake to reverse. I found a video on youtube of a '06 3.5L Impala with the Magnaflow system - not sure what the "burble" is (?).
http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...pala+magnaflow
The Magnaflow is a dualmuffler system, and I have only a single muffler - will this cause problems, and will I get a power increase/decrease.
Sorry to be so long winded, but any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Old 06-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Default RE: need help/opinions

its easy to branch off and make it dual mufflers, and i personally choose flowmaster overmagna flow, adn the burble i think is its not a backfire its just the mufflers inability to handle letting off the gas that fast at high rpms. but thats just me personally

Old 06-02-2007, 01:48 PM

Hi Chris, you are short winded compared to that Crazy Member `Space
You are wise to do your homework, because nothing is more frustrating then to put on an exhaust system & dislike the sound : (
Have you checked with any area custom muffler shops for a
custom system ? Some will try several muffers to get you the sound
and performance you desire & can be cheaper, then mail order.
Also, I would check to see if there are any Chevy clubs in your area,
and if so, contact them and I'm sure they will help.
Car guys, like help'in car guys.
Good Luck & let us know what you do.....`ok ?
Peace Out
`Space

Old 06-02-2007, 01:55 PM

haha space d00d everybody is short winded compared to you

but yeah the magnaflows are chamberless where as the flowmasters have dual chambers so you will get the low rumble vs a high and loud sound of a glasspack. im gonna make some vids thsi weekend and get back to u so you see the difference

Old 06-02-2007, 10:29 PM

Thanks for the input guys! I didnt know that the Magnaflows were chamberless. However I am still stuck with the fact that Magnaflow is the only one available for my car at this time. I had the opportunity to talk with a friend tonight who worked in a GM garage, and he said that going with a custom type application may not be as good as with the Magnaflow due to the fact that the Magnaflow is stainless steel versus a custom being more aluminum. Of course if money were no object, I suppose that a custom stainless system could be fabricated, but I cant really afford to go overboard here - the Magnaflow is priced at $1200 canadian (not pocket change in my book)
I also have a question about the K&N cold air intake - there is one made for the 3800 - could it be fitted to the 3.5L? Are the throttle bodies and air boxes in relatively the same place in both engine setups?
Cheers!

Old 06-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

you know your best bet rather than buying a system already made is to go to a custom exhaust shop and they can make you one...its usually a LOT cheaper..

i'm not sure about the 3.5 but i would imagine magnaflows sound the best on it...flowmasters could be good on it though...i love flowmaster's on v8's but haven't heard many on v6's i've fallen in love with the sound of....but then its the same with magnaflow...i haven't really fallen in love with the sound of that yet either...

but its usually best to have them do a custom bent system..and then just put 2 mufflers on @ the back (the ones you want)

or you could put the muffler up in the middle and do a single in dual out muffler and no mufflers @ the back

Old 06-03-2007, 09:20 AM

thanks for reminding me josh, ima go make the video today of what my dual flows sound like

Old 06-05-2007, 07:01 PM

alright, now I'm a little confused. Heres the deal, I was looking around at the Magnaflow site, and in their FAQ section, there is a question about single vs dual exhaust. It says that a single exhaust will produce more horsepower and torque than a single system. So I called the 1-800 number, and the guy I talked to confirmed it - if the exhaust system comes from the factory as a single muffler system, it would seem that the gains would be less with a dual exit system on my car. Now, my question is should I consider just having (just)a new muffler installed, or go with a custom catback system? Will the exhaust flow more freely if I have a custom bent system?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:52 PM

Yeah, it's a pretty complicated explanation but the single exhause on an NA engine is better than converting to duals. So you get an idea, it wouldn't be too difficult to create a 20 page plus report on this subject.

So quickly sum it up, when the exhaust stroke is moving to the intake stroke, the exhaust valves are still slightly open. If there is not enough back pressure, the air fuel mix will leave with the exhaust. This will actually lean out the mix, and cause more pollutants. Since you are loosing some of the fuel out the exhaust you loose that horsepower.

Now this occurs mainly at low RPM or realistically where our cars are normally running. On a race engine such as a NASCAR vehicle, they run at much higher RPM's constantly and you want the most open system available - headers right to straight pipe.

So I would follow their advice and just use a single exhaust... unless you turbo it. =D

Old 06-05-2007, 08:54 PM

Acutally here is a quick link that can give you some of the dirty on it.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...?ArticleID=355

Quick Reply: need help/opinions