Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

My 02 Monte LS

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Default My 02 Monte LS

Sup guys, im wondering if you guys could help a fellow monte driver who's in desperate need to upgrade his car, currently i have a 2002 Black Monte Carlo LS stock. I can't seem to satisfy my hunger for speed with my engine atm so I'm looking to put a few mods into my car, the basics, (Exhaust, CA intake, and mayb some headers) but am having trouble finding the parts for a 3.4Li, I was wondering if you guys could direct me where to look for some parts to upgrade my HP & Torque. Please guys im 16 and need help=(

Old 02-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Default RE: My 02 Monte LS

lol trust me you dont need to much speed yet when I was 16 I had a 92 camaro, almost died in it lol Im new as well and havent looked for parts for your engine so sorry I cant help other than to suggest to search around the site, basically im just here to say be careful. I dont know you so I cant say anything about you personally but im only 19 and lookin back at my camaro days I was RECKLESS. Racked up TONS of speeding tickets and various other tickets. IT WILL BITE YOU IN THE *** LATER. Welcome to the forum though hope you get the information you seek.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:26 PM

Holy **** you really messed up that camaro. How did you wrecked it?

Anyways, dirtyissue, whats your purpose of fixing up your ls? to race? If that's the case you might want to get a better car or drop in a better motor. If your 16 I don't think you have that kind of money to try and make that ls go fast anyways, but who knows maybe you do. I suggest a L32 swap.

and maybe one of these

just listen to red.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:38 PM

yea an older lady was on my side of the road on a rainy day and there was no avoiding her, damn near killed me but its ok now I guess. I didn't have insurance at the time because I had just got it running again from a month of not running, because of that imj not facing a 14000 dollar law suit so next lesson ALWAYS HAVE INSURANCE lol. Unfortunately here in Iowa even though it was clearly her fault not having insurance makes an accident immediately your fault your car could be parked and someone could run it over and if you dont have insurance then I guess the car shouldn't have been parked there lol. I think that's a little bit crooked but I guess you cant argue with the government.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:23 PM

thanks for the posts, and it seems like changing the ls to a ss would be the smartest thing to do, dam... i really wanted to work on this car too... that sucks=/

Old 02-19-2009, 10:06 PM

theres still a lot you can do. When I first got into cars all I wanted was speed but the more I got into them and the more I realized that cost way more money than I have at this point in life, theres other things. For instance my first big goal for my monte is to get a 7 inch touchscreen in the dash running a car computer ill have mounted in the trunk. Then theres always stuff like paint etc. Cars have endless abiltities to be upgraded.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 PM

dirty, I got army PT tomorrow morning in about 6 hours. Ill post tomorrow some names and ideas for you to work with. You and I were in the same boat (and still kinda am... :S)

Old 02-19-2009, 10:21 PM

ORIGINAL: red03ssmonte

yea an older lady was on my side of the road on a rainy day and there was no avoiding her, damn near killed me but its ok now I guess. I didn't have insurance at the time because I had just got it running again from a month of not running, because of that imj not facing a 14000 dollar law suit so next lesson ALWAYS HAVE INSURANCE lol. Unfortunately here in Iowa even though it was clearly her fault not having insurance makes an accident immediately your fault your car could be parked and someone could run it over and if you dont have insurance then I guess the car shouldn't have been parked there lol. I think that's a little bit crooked but I guess you cant argue with the government.
Just get a good lawyer and you'll beat that case easy, dont matter if you had insurance or not. but that sucks right there. I got a 2000 dollar ticket for not having insurance and tags myself, and I was just going to the store which was not even that far, lol like you said lesson learned.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:33 AM

Alright, heres some ideas for you to ask yourself;

Your 3400 will be beat 90% of the time by just about any 3800 car... dollar for dollar what you put into yours they can get better for theirs. The best part about our cars is the gas milage. I average 23mpg at the pump with city and highway driving, and up to 28 on pure highway. They cant really do that... (correct me if im wrong please). There's a few things out there Im doing to mine to beat the grand ams and little civics who think putting a folgers coffee can on the exhaust can make you beat anything.

Cold Air Intake - Many places make them, you can yourself too. If you dont want to do the project of building one, buy one. I went to zzperformance.com and clicked on grand prix. Find the CAI section and select the Wizair model. Its one of the better ones for our cars and has a very nice fit to the engine. Select on the drop down menu for the 3400 series. I also bought the 4" K&N filter.

Exhaust - This is when you start getting into some tricky parts. I did a dual exhaust with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Flowmasters arnt the best for performance, but I do like the sound a LOT. With an CAI, it deepens the sound. You can mess with the piping going back if you plan on doing a custom turbo or supercharger, but the stock ones work fine for a while.

Pacesetter does make headers for our cars. They arnt TOO expensive, but they arnt top quality.

Downpipes can be made and I THINK be bought for our models. Youll have to browse around for that one though....

Past that, do some searching on this forum. Another forum I'm part of it http://www.grandamgt.com Its a site for grand ams, but it does help with 3400 series engines (because thats what most of them have).

Old 02-20-2009, 10:44 AM

nah I had a lawyer once already and there was nothing they could do. Iowa law says no matter what no insurance its your fault[:@] and people wonder why I question the government lol