Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Made me a heatshield :)

Old 05-07-2010, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Made me a heatshield :)

Went to autozone and was looking around. Found this wrap for intakes and stuff. Decided to give it a try, working alright, im happy with the outcome.
What do all of you think??
Made me a heatshield :)-heatshield.jpg

Im really happy how it all just stuck to whatever I put it on, and its kinda metal so it creased and made shape really well.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:17 PM

sorry, I dont like it. it looks like the monte has a broken arm or something - like a cast.

what you shoulda done was just get mandrel bent aluminum pipe, a couple of silicone adapters, then wrapped it.

that would have look a LOT better.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member

Its not so much for looks as getting a little cooler air. And I have an aluminum pipe inside the stock rubber elbow. I go more for power than looks (under the hood)

Old 05-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by davidk67
sorry, I dont like it. it looks like the monte has a broken arm or something - like a cast.
LOL...when i saw the pic i was thinking of the movie "the mummy". no offense guy i agree what the other guy saying too. what size of a tubing you using? i would use 3.5 or 4" tube. i use corrugated tubing on mine. it's cheap and works like a charm. i had JMB and thrasher cai before and the corrugated tube that i'm currently using is far more better than JMB and thrasher. most people would disagree with me, but that's their opinion. i run this same setup at the track and it works great. i'm a cheapo myself too when it comes to cai, i can't see myself spend over $200 for.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:32 AM

looks alright, now you gotta seal your box

Old 05-08-2010, 01:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it can withstand the heat, I'd wrap the exhaust crossover pipe too. Its would be less noticeable and is the biggest generator of heat under your hood. I header wrapped mine

Old 05-08-2010, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member

Well, see, Im not really going for looks. That pic does look a little more haggard than it really looks cause of the flash. I do agree, its not pretty, but it works great.

You say I need to seal the box? LOL (not being rude, asking a serious question) have you looked at the pics of my intake in my profile??

I never thought of wrapping the crossover. Where did you get the wrap? Just autozone or somthing like that?? That sure is a hell of an idea. Oh, how much does that stuff cost?? With wrapping exhaust, Ive heard you can have problems with rusting, is that true. Or is there enough heat to get rid of all the moisture(yeah, spelled that one wrong)

Ill get another pic up so you can see what it really looks like (without using the flash)
it really does look alright, like I said, not real pretty.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I used DEI Titanium exhaust wrap which is a dry header wrap - it cost me about $10. Most part stores could get it. I can't imagine the crossover getting wet enough to worry about, but the wrap would breath enough to dry out. And it does look really cool - sort of carbon fibre-ish. It doesn't show up to well in my underhood pics because I also made a flimsy little heat shield from aluminum flashing that blocks view.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte

You say I need to seal the box? LOL (not being rude, asking a serious question) have you looked at the pics of my intake in my profile??
now i have, didnt know you put it down into your bumper

Old 05-08-2010, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member

Pretty cool huh?? Most people have the good 'ol FWI, I went a different route though, man was it a pain getting it to fit behind the headlight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Made me a heatshield :)