Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Looking to get nicer sound from exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Default Looking to get nicer sound from exhaust.

Hey guys and gals im new to this forum, I own a 2004 Monte Carlo SS Intimidator, its pretty much completely stock, I wanted to know what can I buy to make the exhaust sound better, im looking to spend no more then 200$.
I was also looking to get a new intake, I have been using a universal and it has done good, but I am looking to upgrade, looking for something around 100$.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You won't really find much for those prices, but please search the forum we have PLENTY of topics that discuss both of those in very good detail.

Also youtube videos can help with exhaust tones.

Welcome to the forum

Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 PM

Welcome Member `DeadSnake to our Monte Carlo Family.
What state are your from ?
How many miles on your Monte ?
How long have you had your Monte ?
What condition is your Monte in ?
Explore the MCF & you will finds a lot of infor about the
Monte Carlo.
There are several aftermarket muffler's for the Monte,
but I don't know `if you could install them for $200.

Wish you fun/safe/fast trouble free miles in your SS
We look 4ward 2 your future posts.
EnJoy the MCF

Old 01-25-2010, 02:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You will need a little more of a budget than that is you want quality stuff.

Maganflows sound great IMO.

And for your car, the Wizaird intake is best.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:46 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

As far as brand of muffler, you are asking a Coca~Cola vs. Pepsi question. What do your ears like to hear? Some say SLP, some may say Dynomax, Magnaflow's are popular around here... still others swear by the Flowmasters (I like to call them Slowmasters myself... but that's just me!!! My word's not gold!) I recommend going on youtube and typing in something for instance "Flowmaster 3.8 or 3800" and seeing what comes up... the Grand Prix guys ran this same engine, so you'll likely find alot of those guys. See which one you like best and go from there!

Old 01-25-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by KidSpace
Welcome Member `DeadSnake to our Monte Carlo Family.
What state are your from ?
How many miles on your Monte ?
How long have you had your Monte ?
What condition is your Monte in ?
Explore the MCF & you will finds a lot of infor about the
Monte Carlo.
There are several aftermarket muffler's for the Monte,
but I don't know `if you could install them for $200.

Wish you fun/safe/fast trouble free miles in your SS
We look 4ward 2 your future posts.
EnJoy the MCF

I am from Illinois, just north of Chicago!
60,606 Miles!
Owned it since 2007
Excellent condition.

I have someone to install them for free, I just need the barebone kits, for the exhaust it doesnt have to be the whole system, if I can get it for around 200-275

Old 01-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Welcome. Plenty of info around the board and on youtube to help you get what you're after.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:52 PM

If you're that tight on a budget for the exhaust- just do replacement mufflers. I imagine your stock exhaust isn't all rotten out being that new, so no sense in spending money to replacing ok piping with brand new piping that does the same thing. I think a set of mufflers and tips would easily come in your budget, especially if you have someone to put them on for free. As for which ones to get- go on youtube and listen to all the various 3800s on there and see what you like. You could go as cheap as a pair of cherry bombs (like $20 each) and a pair of chromed mild steel tips (like $15 each) and have a totally different, much louder sound- or you could go with much quieter mufflers depending what you want. Also, once you do the mufflers- if you want it a pinch louder, and much more nasty and raspy- you can cut out the resonator and replace it with a piece of straight pipe (shouldn't cost hardly anything). Personally, I'd try and get stainless stuff if you can just so it isn't rusting out in a couple years (I assume you drive it in the winter)- I went through 2 glasspacks and 3 tips on my monte back in high school due to rust from road salt.

As for the intake, I'd just make a FWI. It wouldn't take much money, especially if you already have a cone filter; and you'd get air thats just as cold as stock was.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 01-25-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
If you're that tight on a budget for the exhaust- just do replacement mufflers. I imagine your stock exhaust isn't all rotten out being that new, so no sense in spending money to replacing ok piping with brand new piping that does the same thing. I think a set of mufflers and tips would easily come in your budget, especially if you have someone to put them on for free. As for which ones to get- go on youtube and listen to all the various 3800s on there and see what you like. You could go as cheap as a pair of cherry bombs (like $20 each) and a pair of chromed mild steel tips (like $15 each) and have a totally different, much louder sound- or you could go with much quieter mufflers depending what you want. Also, once you do the mufflers- if you want it a pinch louder, and much more nasty and raspy- you can cut out the resonator and replace it with a piece of straight pipe (shouldn't cost hardly anything). Personally, I'd try and get stainless stuff if you can just so it isn't rusting out in a couple years (I assume you drive it in the winter)- I went through 2 glasspacks and 3 tips on my monte back in high school due to rust from road salt.

As for the intake, I'd just make a FWI. It wouldn't take much money, especially if you already have a cone filter; and you'd get air thats just as cold as stock was.
Yeah the pipes I can keep, do you have links to any of those things? I like stainless steel too.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you don't have to get inspected yearly in your state, you can just drill a few holes in your stock muffler with a good drill

Quick Reply: Looking to get nicer sound from exhaust.