Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

KnN Aircharger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Default KnN Aircharger?

I'm thinking about getting one of these http://www.lmperformance.com/16078/11.htmlbut before I fork over all those dead presidents, I was wondering if anybody has one of these on their 06/07 SS. Or is there something else out there that I'm missing? Can't seem to find too many aftermarket parts for my car yet.
Thanks for your help.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:31 AM
Default RE: KnN Aircharger?

I have one for my Supercharger, and performance was great, just for even my 3.8. So I can definitely assume that it will allow that 5.3 to suck in alot cooler air, and I can guarantee that you will note an increase in acceleration.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

they are definetely worth it, works great and sounds awesome!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:03 AM

I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, however the K&N series is an excellent company for first timers or DIYers. They will come with a full series of photos, along with detailed instructions. Just be sure to look at the SPECIAL tools required on the front page. Because tearing your car apart without a Torx #25 ( not that I would know from experience or anything) can be a mess, especially if you already have the PCM disconnected, and the entire intake system out. LOL I dont know if the new Monte's have the PCM in the front like the older versions, but regardless, it's a great system, and I highly recommend you dump the 200 bucks, you'll thank yourself later.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member

lol, thats why i like doing all my work @ my parts store, no shortage of tools and supplies

Old 06-20-2007, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I'm gonna get me one! I don't think we'll have any problems with installation. I'll make sure to have all the tools needed right there on the bench before we start. Would hate to get in the middle of it and find out that we needed that SPECIAL tool, and with my luck the parts stores would beclosed.
But I do have 1 more question. This won't void my factory warranty, will it?
Thanks again!

Old 06-20-2007, 06:08 PM

K&N intakes come with a disclaimer, with a 1-800 number stating that it WILL NOT void your warranty. And if you have any issues, I believe you can call that number for guidance. Also, just to double check, you may want to contact the dealer from which you bought your Monte, just to check in and get their take on it. It is to my understanding that the only thing that WONT be covered would be the MAF Sensor ( Mass Airflow ) due to the fact that the K&N's come with an oil-coated filter to trap dirt and debris, and the oil MAY, and I reapeat, MAY damage it. But you are talking about a 100 dollar part, if that. And I haven't heard of anyone, at least anyone in my area, having issues with the warranty being voided just from an upgraded intake. And we ALL run with them where I live.

Hope that helps? lol

Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member

yah the MAF sensor is not covered if you put one of these on(at least i wouldn't think so) but everything else will be, however they dont go that often, the thing that will happen is about in a month you will need to take off the maf sensor and spray it with brake kleen, this is what i need to do with mine, i think it has some of the k&n oil on it and its throwing codes

Old 06-20-2007, 07:00 PM

Yah,my neighbor has a TDI and his does it all the time, but thats what he gets for having a VW with a k&n

Anyways Monte Mom, It shouldn't be an issue.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:11 PM

Well that doesn't sound bad. I could live with that if my car can breathe a little easier, sound a little beefier and go a little faster.

Wiz - Do you have to clean the maf every month or so? Or is it just a 1 time thing until the filter is good and oiled through? When it gets dirty, does your car run differently or is it just by the codes that you can tell?

I ordered it tonight, can't wait to get it on the SSand try it out!!! My foot is a-twitchin!!![8D]

Thanks guys, let you knowhow it all goes.

Quick Reply: KnN Aircharger?