Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intense Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Default Intense Racing

I just got off the phone with Todd from intense racing and he recommended to me the level 1 performance package for my SC monte C (L67). I explained to him the type of modifications that I wanted to do. I also asked him about the 3" downpipe and he said I shouldn't get the downpipe unless I'm trying to actually race it on the track which I'm not.

I would like to get some of you guys input on this and maybe if any of you have the intense racing setup. what do you all think?

Old 02-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Default RE: Intense Racing

Actually I liked getting the downpipe as one of my first mods.

To start off, a good combination is a Cold Air Intake and a 3" downpipe with High Flow Cat and U-Bend delete that hooks right up to the stock exhaust.

You will definately see a punch with this combination and you'll love the sound change in the supercharger.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:57 PM

FORGET THEIR STAGE 1 KIT!!! THAT'S DANGEROUS!!!

I honestly can't beleive they are recommending that once I saw it.

Never go down to a 3.4" pulley without a ton of mods INCLUDING the downpipe.

Their Stage 1 kit is screaming for engine damage and chipped pistons. To put on a 3.4" pulley you should have at a minimum: Cold Air Intake, Downpipe w/Ubend delete, 104 Autolite plugs, 180* Tstat, and PCM. With that combo PLUS my catback exhaust I was still getting 7* of KR and that is dangerous. I added Rockers and Headers and I'm still not there. My tuner is going to be the first way I should have went.

Looking through them I actually don't like any of their kits.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:03 PM

Just for general referance, probably the best way you could mod is this:

1.Downpipe w/Ubend delete
2. Cold Air Intake
3. P-Log from ZZP (Unless you are going to mod big, then headers)
4. Scanner/Tuner (Tuner if you plan to go to step 7)
5. 180* T-Stat, 104 Autolite Plugs, 3.4" pulley.
6.ThrottleBody (ported or N*)
7. Rockers or Cam
8. Smaller Pulley
9. Intercooler or Heads
10. Smaller Pulley

At anytime after 4, you can consider GenV Supercharger Swap.

Unless you are looking for sound, think Catback at 7th or 8th step.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:09 PM

i would say that the downpipe would be one of the first things to be done just to get rid of the u-bend above everything else

Old 02-25-2008, 07:13 PM

ok 04 Intimidator so you think I should go with the 3" downpipe. I'm just very cautious when it comes to my car. I know alot of people here have the downpipe and I keep hearing positive feedback about how much it improves the car. now my car is running excellent right now and I don't want to start putting unnecessary money into my car or my car to start running funny.

04 Intimidator if u can just tell me where u got your downpipe that would be helpful.

I already have res delete, u-bend delete, high flow cat and custom exhaust. I would think all I need is the downpipe and CAI to top the basic mods off. Right?

just let me know if I'm wrong.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:25 PM

I dunno what he was thinking- a 3" DP is a pretty good mod. It was the first mod I did to my GP, and I love it.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:35 PM

ok good. it seems like he was just trying to sell me his product. thats why I asked u guys cuz I know a lot of u have the the 3" downpipe on your cars and all I hear is good stuff about it.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:49 PM

3" DP, you can pick up the simple DP without the cat, check zzperformance.com... though I'm curious what hi-flo cat you have already... is it 3"?

Even if you stay at the 3.8" pulley level for life, a larger DP is a big help to your flow at the top end, and it won't hurt your torque. There's still plenty to break tires loose.

As for all the worry about not dropping pulley sizes until you have x amount of mods, it's DIFFERENT for every engine. Scan, scan, scan. Period. There is no rule of thumb... but there is a logical path of modifications to do that will improve performance, and take advantage of more boost (smaller pulley). Mods listed in progressive order:

Make the air easier and colder to get in (CAI, TB, ported SC, intercooler)
Make it easier to get out (3" DP, u-bend and res removal, ported manifolds/logs/headers, ported heads)

Once you have improved your in and out flow, and you want more power, start looking at cam or rockers. Rockers are the poor man's cam.. it increases lift, allowing for a bit more air to get in and out for each cylinder cycle... though a cam is the way to go, because you can increase duration and lift of your valve events.

In between all that, you need to match your plugs to your boost and manifold pressures (AL 104s, or 103s for really high boost), drop thermostat to a 180 to help keep temps in check, and get your PCM reprogrammed either by tuner or by canned PCM. Canned PCMs are like one size fits all gloves, it may not fit your hand perfectly, but it will keep your hand warm in the cold. For the right fit, go custom... you'll maximize all the mods in your setup, and ensure you are running safe AND strong.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:00 PM

ok are u saying that the downpipe will give me more hp and torque?

I don't want to lose any power just gain.

Quick Reply: Intense Racing