Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake Decision Decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Default Intake Decision Decisions...

Ive been wanting an intake system for my 6 gen SS (00) NA but it has a SERIES II in it if that helps. 1. First what is the best cold air or hot air? Next please recommend some that youve seen I dont care if its new or used.

( PS also I've assumed this was the cheapest & most basic of mods to start with)

Thanks if advance.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:34 PM

Cold air = more dense = more power, you want a cold air intake- either buy a CAI box (like the Wizair, ZZP, etc)- or build your own FWI which is cheaper (just buy a cone filter, install it in your fender well, and run flexible tubing to connect it back to the engine).

Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Cold air = more dense = more power, you want a cold air intake- either buy a CAI box (like the Wizair, ZZP, etc)- or build your own FWI which is cheaper (just buy a cone filter, install it in your fender well, and run flexible tubing to connect it back to the engine).
Ok Ive heard of the ZZP and the Wizair, now building mines is going to be difficult, I know it needs to go in a box right? I think ill just buy one lol.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:40 AM

Hey, if you want, you can check out my pics and see what i did. You have a different engine, but you could still do the same set up.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Ok Ive heard of the ZZP and the Wizair, now building mines is going to be difficult, I know it needs to go in a box right? I think ill just buy one lol.
A FWI is not difficult, and no- the filter does not need to be in a box- a cone filter can sit wherever. All you do, like I said before, is remove the stock airbox, get some flexible tubing, run that from the throttle body into the fender- mount your cone filter on the end of that- in the fender. There is no box needed, because the filter will be surrounded on all sides with cold air- unlike in the engine bay.

I've just usually made my own or bought used (like the K&N for my GXP)- because I can't stand paying $300 for an intake setup.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:10 PM

A FWI is not difficult, and no- the filter does not need to be in a box- a cone filter can sit wherever. All you do, like I said before, is remove the stock airbox, get some flexible tubing, run that from the throttle body into the fender- mount your cone filter on the end of that- in the fender. There is no box needed, because the filter will be surrounded on all sides with cold air- unlike in the engine bay.

I've just usually made my own or bought used (like the K&N for my GXP)- because I can't stand paying $300 for an intake setup.
Ok thanks, Ill probally end up building my own. Your right thats steep for somthing you can do yourself lol.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:28 PM

i got one off ebay cheap iam going to make it custom i need to make a box for it i will post some pics up as soon as i get it done tomorrow i will put more pics up but ya go on ebay i paid 45 for it with filter but u can go get some more tubing a make it how u want it its better then the K&n 200 for that and its plastic and it dont loook good IAM ALL ABOUT MAKING IT HOW I LIKE IT

Old 04-25-2010, 06:31 PM

ya thats a good idea but the only problem with that is u dont want the air filter getting wet so if u do put it in your fender make a splash grad or somthing i no u can get one water proff but hey i just like over think stuff good luck when your done let me see it

Old 04-25-2010, 06:41 PM

Will doing this setup you mention give you the same HP gains as the Wiz or ZZ CAI's? thanks.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:59 PM

yeah, i got that ebay intake and added onto it. you can see what i did in my pics if you want. keep in mind, the elbow that came with the ebay intake, i have that inside of the rubber elbow that comes off the T-body(you know, the stock elbow inbetween the tbody and the maf sensor. take a look, i saw a pretty good gain, and i made my engine sound bad ***.

Quick Reply: Intake Decision Decisions...