Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Default Illegal?

Is it illegal to have a shop remove a perfectly good cat and downpipe to put on a ZZP downpipe with cat? I called this muffler guy in my area and told him I just wanted him to swap it out and he said its a federal law that he can't remove a good cat if nothing is wrong with it.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:57 PM

I do believe that by the exact letter of the law, yes the cat needs to be broken/defective/worn out for a shop to replace it, and they are supposed to replace it with an oe unit, not high-flow, but it's very hard to enforce this. i'd look for another shop until you find one that will do the work.

if they say it needs to have something wrong with it? get under the car and smash it with a hammer... that will make something wrong with it!!! :P

Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Toasty
if they say it needs to have something wrong with it? get under the car and smash it with a hammer... that will make something wrong with it!!! :P
LOL! That is a good idea except for I have to send it back to ZZP to get credit and I am sure they don't want a POS lol.

Now I am kinda pissed I did not know I could not just swap it out anywhere. The guy I wanted to go to is REALLY good but I guess he is REALLY by the book too.

Last edited by Pure2sin; 07-29-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pure2sin
LOL! That is a good idea except for I have to send it back to ZZP to get credit and I am sure they don't want a POS lol.

its quite likely that they want it back because they are worth money because of the precious metals inside... if you bang on it right, you can bust up the inside without affecting the outside much

Old 07-29-2009, 06:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is crazy - I've never heard of this! Any other mechanic will do it.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
This is crazy - I've never heard of this! Any other mechanic will do it.
I hope so I am going to call a few more tomorrow and see what the deal is. BUT lets say I can't get anyone to do it. How hard is this to install myself? Has anyone put one of these on without a lift? I have the tools to do it since its just a bolt on with the flanges on both sides. Only problem is I don't have a lift and I think doing this on jack stands would be horrible.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:36 PM

15 Year Member

I don't find the Monte a very easy car to get under, but it could be done on ramps. The top is somewhat accessible from above. Don't worry, someone will do it. I have a hard time find a mechanic who is on the up-and-up. I can't imagine anyone refusing this work, but they would be more likely to over the phone. I'd go to a shop and pay with a case of beer. Easy job for an exhaust shop

Old 07-29-2009, 06:40 PM

15 Year Member

The more I think about this the less sense it makes. Just because a converter is working doesn't mean its working optimally. How can one be refused the right to make there car more efficient, if not compromising emissions?

Let's riot!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
The more I think about this the less sense it makes. Just because a converter is working doesn't mean its working optimally. How can one be refused the right to make there car more efficient, if not compromising emissions?

Let's riot!

really i think it stems from the fact that the cat is considered to be toxic waste after it's removed from the vehicle, and is supposed to be processed specially.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm sure you can find someone to do it...tinting the front windows is illegal too (at least in ca it is) and tons of places do it anyway...just find the right shop.

Quick Reply: Illegal?