Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

I think I made a mistake.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Default I think I made a mistake.....

Ok, So I wanted louder, deep muscle tone, exhaust. I just didnt want to have the neighbors complain. So, I decided against glass packs. I have the 3.8 L V6. I knew from the begining I was not going to get amazing sound.

I had a midas remove my resonator and put on 2 polished stainless steel magnaflow mufflers and some sweet tips.

I feel like i am driving around a deep sounding import car. Its way better than stock, dont get me wrong. It's just not anywhere close to what I was hoping for. Did i make the wrong choice in getting good looking mufflers insted of flowmasters?

That being said, I don't have the money to change anything now, so I was thinking is there anyway to get the most out of what I got? I really don't want to have to save all of that money again just to changed something I already spent a ton on. topics i can think of are CAI, U-Bend Delete, High flow cat.... I don't know about any of that stuff and what it would do sound wise.

THANKS!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Default RE: I think I made a mistake.....

Hi Zach,
We all have made mistakes, but hopefully learn from them.
Would love to hear a sound clip of your exhaust.
I personally like the sounds from Flowmasters on the V6 3.8L.
I am sure that one of our Members will post what has worked
best for them on their 3.8L.
I just posted a thread today on "Should I buy a performance
exhaust"...Check it out and see if there is any infor that
you can use. Did you ask the guys @ Midas the best
way that you can tune your sound for a low price ?
Wish you good luck & good tunes to your exhaust sound.
`Space

Old 02-22-2009, 04:17 PM

i know what its like to spend all the money you saved up for exhaust and to not be happy with it. but over all...your MOST LIKELY gunna have to save up and change your exhaust. try going to youtube.com and type in something like, "02 monte carlo ss exhaust" (6 cylinder) and see all the different things you can do. and you should post a video of what you did to your exhaust so other people can decide if they want that sound. just a suggestion.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:21 PM

do you have a CAI? It will help the sound a lot, make it a deeper growl.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:35 PM

No, no CAI yet, I had heard that if I got one it will help the sound.... I didn't know if that was true.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

can you post a sound clip of it?? i'd be curious to hear what it sounds like....i was very iffy on the exhaust when i had my monte, and i decided not to change it for fear of not liking it, i hadn't heard any 3.8l that i liked the sound of overly much

Old 02-22-2009, 09:51 PM

Mine when I first had it done sounded raspy as hell, could barely talk over it on the way home. It started toning down and now it is much more mellow and is only raspy for the first second or two after startup. I don't know if this has to do with the mufflers themselves or the car computer reprograming itself.

As for your muscle car tone that you wanted, if you're trying to get that old school V8 sound then I'll let you know that it's damn near impossible with these newer V6s to get the same sound as they are different engines.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:51 PM

either way i think your car looks pretty bad A$$ and should sound ok.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 AM

I feel like i am driving around a deep sounding import car. Its way better than stock, dont get me wrong. It's just not anywhere close to what I was hoping for. Did i make the wrong choice in getting good looking mufflers insted of flowmasters?
I've got a single polished magnaflow on my monte- the only time it sounds good is at idle, otherwise it sounds like poo...

Old 02-24-2009, 08:01 PM

the cia will help alot in the sound a deeper sound for what you have put on it helped out alot with my 7'th gen. when i got the cia for it all i had was a wiered sounding exaughst it sounds like i have a v8 instead of a v6. but i retuned every thing after the add ons because of higher in put and out put. every sensor on mine needed to be adjusted for the higher flowing air going in and out of the motor had to take it to a performance shop to relearn the comp because my car is to new for the tuners still so good luck

Quick Reply: I think I made a mistake.....