Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Holley Headers on a 1977 Monte with a 305

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Default Holley Headers on a 1977 Monte with a 305

I was wondering how long you guys think it will take. Would I need a lift, crane, etc to do it or can it be done with the wheels on the ground?

I have another random question, I have 76k miles on my 77 and I find it hard to believe. Is it possible in that year the miles reset back to 0 after 100k miles?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

only has 5 digits instead of 6 like newer cars, atleast thats how my monte is so yes it could be 176k

to install header you will probably need a floor jack, basic tools and time,

basicly put the car on ramps or jack stands so you can get underneath it, lossen up one side motor mount us you jack and a pirce of wood (acouple 2x4's should do the trick) jack up on your oil pan, undo manifold replace with header let it back down bolt up your motor mount and go to the otherside,

buy the colectors if it doesnt come with them and plan to do teh rest of your exhaust while your at it,

easiest is buy or notch your trans crossmember to accomidate for dual exhaust,

get 2 4-5ft 2.5-2.75in or so piping
2 12-24 in cherry bombs
2 turn downs
and 2 exhaust hangers

get it welded together and toss it in when you do teh headers

welled
Collector to pipe to cherrybomb to turn down (may want to test fit the turn down befor getting it welded in so it faces the right way or just use clam on it

this will put it right befor the rear axle my budy had it on his buick with a 350 gave it a real nice tone but not retarded loud

Old 01-04-2012, 02:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

The headers should mount up fairly easily once you get the old manifolds off. I would get a good penetration oil like PB blaster and soak all the bolts down real good for a day or two. Once you get the headers on it may be easiest to have an exhaust shop run the rest of the pipe. It shouldn't cost too muchfor them to custom bend them.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Jack the front up on stands/ramps pull out the old.Y-pipe an cat go out the bottom manifolds go out the top.Pull the spark plugs first.To go in the left side throw the bottom you wont need to move any thing.the right side you'll need to drop the starter an the small cross brace out of the way an the header will go in from the bottom.Put the plugs/starter/cross brace back in.Thats all you have to do for the headers now the pipes will require a new cross member or modifing yours or bending the pipe under the cross member on the left side.Your cross member is a single hump for the exhaust.
you'll need 4 1/2 feet of pipe two mufflers an hangers weld every thing together an that should do it.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you look close at my sig pic you'll see the left hand pipe bent under the cross member it's the cheapest way if you have to pay some one to do the piping.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 PM

When you say cross member are you referring to that very annoying thing that comes factory in 77 Montes near the location of the OEM Cat? Sounds like removing the headers on my monte will be almost as easy as my room mates motorcycle but it sounds like hell getting the rest of the exhaust going.. makes me feel like just leaving the headers free ballin. haha In all seriousness though I really wish I knew what you were referring to. I may need to visit a muffler shop to finish it up =\

Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 PM

If you are referring to what I'm speaking about I actually met another 77 Owner near my owner and believe it or not first thing I did was hit the floor and see how he ran his exhaust. The place that did his cut off what I was referring to, but I was ify on grinding it off despite the fact that I had just bought a glass pack and couldn't install because of this.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member

Pics would help greatly

Old 01-05-2012, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member

O and in crossmember is what holds your transmission up

Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 PM

Zen, unlike a lot of people on these forums you actually own and work on the same exact car as me so here's a question for you. Do you think this would fit a 305/350 in our vehicles?
AirAid Cold Air Intake 1988-1995 Chevy/GMC 305/350 TBI | eBay

Quick Reply: Holley Headers on a 1977 Monte with a 305