Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Gas Smell (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/gas-smell-52646/)

Gproducktionz614 03-31-2015 11:55 PM

Gas Smell

Hey my 2005 Chevy Monte Carlo LS has a strong gas oder whenever it idles or when the heat is turned on, now I was told upon purchase that there is a small exhaust leak, could this be the cause of the smell?

ZIPPY02 04-01-2015 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gproducktionz614 (Post 654350)
Hey my 2005 Chevy Monte Carlo LS has a strong gas oder whenever it idles or when the heat is turned on, now I was told upon purchase that there is a small exhaust leak, could this be the cause of the smell?

I would get to the bottom of this, sounds like you have an actual fuel leak, and then "Poof". Follow all your fuel lines, could be that a rear injector O-ring is failing, something close to the heater air intake. If anything have a shop search it out, if for some reason you can't find it, this could get ugly on a very hot day... poof poof poof :eek::wtf::nono::cool::eek::nono::wtf:

Gproducktionz614 04-01-2015 01:01 AM

Exhaust Hole

Would the small hole that was told to me be the cause? I have a catalyst converter code or O2 sensor.

JC Colon 04-01-2015 01:41 AM

Exhaust gas and Gas Fumes smell completely different. If you smell Gas you have a Fuel leak. Check your fuel lines against the fire wall under the Master Cylinder. The connection were they go from a solid line to plastic. The connector there wares out on the pressure line. Also check the plastic line the crosses over the engine to the fuel rail and the connector at the fuel rail. These are your greatest weak points.
I had a leak at the connector under the Master cylinder. The intake for your heat is right above that. So if the leak is there, that would explain the fuel smell I'm the car when your heat is on.
At any rate, you should have it checked out ASAP, because if it's over the engine it could start a Fire, then you baby goes "Up In Smoke!"

nitehawkjcb 04-01-2015 09:32 AM

^Not necessarily.

Evap leaks smell like gas. So does running rich...

JC Colon 04-01-2015 11:47 AM

Good point John! I didn't think about that. The Evaps canister is in that same area! I've never had a Rich mix in a fuel injected engine but yeah, I remember in a carbonated engine the fuel small did get into the cabin! Nice catch!!!!! :thumbsup:

Gproducktionz614 04-04-2015 01:47 AM

Still haven't diagnosed the initial problem but I appreciate you guys, just fixed my actual exaust leak/shaky hanger. The gas smell isn't as bad but still present.

02ssintimidator 04-04-2015 02:33 AM

Probably evap. Is the engine light on?

Malcolm Fay 04-04-2015 09:38 AM

My 2000 had a fuel leak at the rear fuel rail disconnect strong odor took a little longer cranking to start (low pressure) found a neat repair kit. Enter Malcolm Fay in search box read my post on fuel leak repair for details on the kit.

Gproducktionz614 04-10-2015 12:18 AM

@02ssintimidator, engine light is on!