Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust System now complete!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
I don't believe the egr block off's are a requirement. The speed daddy's has a spot for the egr return so you could keep it if you wanted. It does throw a code if you remove it, you can have the code deleted from somewhere such as zzp (which I will be doing soon). I think they are very good quality for the price. I do recommend getting band clamps though rather than using what came with the headers. The other clamps would have ruined the pipe so just a thought to keep in mind if you ever wanted to remove headers for some reason. Took about 9-10 hours of working on to install but it really wasn't that bad my friend had a lot more issues with clearance and such on his grand prix but it definitely fits the monte much better. I'm not at all a mechanic and this was the biggest install/mod I've ever done and it went really well, everything's sealed really good and there's no leaks so far So if you have other experience turning a wrench you should be fine putting these on. Getting the rear header in place was the toughest we had to pull the engine forward and turn/rotate the headers in many different ways before it lined up.

Sorry to write a novel lol I could go on all day about these but it's for sure a worth while mod in my opinion.
All your good things have me 98% ready to purchase. My only concern is whether or not these are suited to a supercharger application. One last question, what are you using for a down pipe?

Last edited by twfurst; 01-05-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by twfurst
All your good things have me 98% ready to purchase. My only concern is whether or not these are suited to a supercharger application. One last question, what are you using for a down pipe?
Actually these headers are meant more for supercharged applications I believe, (correct me if I'm wrong but some people think headers don't do much for an n/a engine and work best with supercharged) by that I feel that supercharged vehicles will benefit more. The headers have a flex pipe built in and a small bend that gets rid of the down pipe and connects straight to what would be the resonator on a stock exhaust system.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 PM

Did you install new head bolts and manifolds?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:32 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlownUptoHigh
No.. reused old head bolts

Old 01-13-2012, 01:35 PM

3 Year Member

What do you mean by manifolds? The headers replaced the stock manifolds

Old 01-13-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by twfurst

Headers are basically a requirement to mod a supercharged 3800. You can get away without headers when you drop to a 3.6 pulley on an L67, but anything below that and you need headers or you'll be running serious risk of having KR. On the Series III L32, headers are a requirement to drop a pulley size period IMO.

Long story short, if you have ANY thoughts or plans of modding your L67, get the headers. It's not worth the risk of KR. Even if you don't mod the motor, it will be of far greater benefit then they are on the N/A L36 and L26.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
What do you mean by manifolds? The headers replaced the stock manifolds
manifold gaskets?

Old 01-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

very nice

Old 01-13-2012, 05:21 PM

3 Year Member

manifold gaskets?
Cleaned and reused stock manifold gaskets along with lots of rtv. The gaskets that the headers come with won't last nearly as long as the original gaskets.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
very nice
Thanks

Quick Reply: Exhaust System now complete!