Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust SET-UP for 3.4l MC LS LA1 engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Exhaust SET-UP for 3.4l MC LS LA1 engines

EXHAUST SYSTEM:
As you know options for a 3.4l LA1 engine is limited. The exhaust system I am saving up money for is GM Performance Exhaust System

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12498617/
which includes 2 mufflers, 2.5"piping, clamps, and tips for $500-$550 shipped
The other brand is Borla Exhaust System
http://www.lmperformance.com/7063/11.html
which includes 2 mufflers, 2.25"piping, clamps, and tips for $831-$1000shipped
For both Systems, you will need to buy a separate Dual exhaust Conversion Kit which is really just parts to hold up the 2nd exhaust which goes for $25-$35 shipped.
After consulting with a cardomain member(AaronGTR11 at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2386767/2) who has the same engine, he mentioned that any exhaust system with piping more than 2.25" will have better performance. He recommended me to buy my own parts or have a custom shop built an exhaust for me to have the cheapest pricing. I have not personally ask any shops, but the shops I live around, wants 150 dollars to just replace one broken muffler, so will probably charge way over 500 dollars to do the job. I think people claims 7-10hp gains on new exhaust systems
HEADERS:
Many people say if you get a exhaust without headers, you're not getting the most out of your exhaust. Since the headers works in combination with the exhaust to supply more horsepower. I think the headers connect to the bottom of the engine if I am correct. The headers I am saving up money for is Pace Setters Headers

http://www.andysautosport.com/chevro...s/pace_setter/
With 2 options of either armor coated as pictured for $540 or normal black paint for $380

I think people claim that after adding headers you could gain 10-20hp.
MY SET-UP:
This is what I am saving money up for. I want the Pacesetter armor coated, but if my budget is as bad as it is now, I might be forced to go with the normal black paint which is also good, but just that it wont outlast the armor coat one. Here is what I created with Paint using the previous images, I hope I got the setup right:

I have a coupon that could get me the exhaust for $490 shipped now, but I do not have enough, so I will probably have to wait till next time. But I bet you could negogiate the pricing if you want to. As for the conversion kit I couldn't find the kit sell for over $30 shipped(it isn't much of a kit to begin with, lol) Then for headers, as said I haven't settled for anything yet. But with this set-up do you think I could get some power out of the engine? I think the whole system would end up costing from $900-$1100 shipped. I also believe that the exhaust system also works in conjunction with air intakes or force induction too. so Hopefully I got all my information right. Now my only problem other than money is: I don't even know how to use a wrench yet. Hopefully I learn soon, as in after my college semester ends so I could finally focus. Please Comment, and tell me if I am right or wrong with the set-up or if I mistaken any information. Now thanks for reading

Last edited by NarutoV2; 12-11-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:50 AM

I also have an 02 with the 3.4. I would go with the headers because you get rid of the factory downpipe with the restrictive u-bend. I was going to get the zzperformance downpipe with high flow cat but they quit selling that for the 3.4. if you can find a nice downpipe with high flow cat and then go to duals you could save some money and skip the headers. if you can afford it go with headers. now I need to find a place that has the downpipe for the 3.4 cuz I was ready to start that project over the winter.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by jeff2425
I also have an 02 with the 3.4. I would go with the headers because you get rid of the factory downpipe with the restrictive u-bend. I was going to get the zzperformance downpipe with high flow cat but they quit selling that for the 3.4. if you can find a nice downpipe with high flow cat and then go to duals you could save some money and skip the headers. if you can afford it go with headers. now I need to find a place that has the downpipe for the 3.4 cuz I was ready to start that project over the winter.
Thanks for comment, I didn't really look into the downpipe upgrade, but I was looking into the exhaust upgrade since the 1st month(end of july 09) I was interested in upgrading cars, and I think this is the biggest step for the Monte 6 gen LS cause you get everyone telling u save up the money for something esle, get a stereo system, new wheels, brakes, save for a newer car, etc. I'm still a noob, so I'm just going by what others told me and what I researched. I do have a quick question, is the u-bend part of the exhaust system you buy? or is it part of the car? as in If i get this gm exhaust system, isn't the pipe already removed after installation? Hopefully I can just do all the exhaust mods in one shot to save time and money.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's the U-bend. It's a restriction in your exhaust for the oxygen sensor right before the Cat. So NO cat-back exhaust system will replace that.

Here's my honest opinion on your exhaust. You are dealing with the 3.4 engine, which honestly I don't see pushing enough power in and out to need THAT much exhaust. I would get a shop to delete that U-bend (putting a straight pipe with a bung for the oxygen sensor) and then just change the mufflers / split the exhaust if you want duals sticking out the back. If you were doing bigger upgrades to the engine, that will force more air in and out, like porting, intakes, cam, etc. Then I would say getting headers would be beneficial, but on the stock 3.4 I don't think it is.

From the Cat-Back you won't have any restrictions in your car. Changing anything there is just for sounds. The U-bend will restrict, and your stock manifolds / downpipe will restrict when you are pushing more out.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:25 AM

you should take chibi's advice. headers might look cool and all but not worth the money. I am thinking of starting with this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-23433/ and going from there to duals just for a better sound. the replacement cat is a bolt in and has no u-bend but a shop would be cheaper if you just want to cut the u-bend out and go from there

Old 12-15-2009, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep

That's the U-bend. It's a restriction in your exhaust for the oxygen sensor right before the Cat. So NO cat-back exhaust system will replace that.

Here's my honest opinion on your exhaust. You are dealing with the 3.4 engine, which honestly I don't see pushing enough power in and out to need THAT much exhaust. I would get a shop to delete that U-bend (putting a straight pipe with a bung for the oxygen sensor) and then just change the mufflers / split the exhaust if you want duals sticking out the back. If you were doing bigger upgrades to the engine, that will force more air in and out, like porting, intakes, cam, etc. Then I would say getting headers would be beneficial, but on the stock 3.4 I don't think it is.

From the Cat-Back you won't have any restrictions in your car. Changing anything there is just for sounds. The U-bend will restrict, and your stock manifolds / downpipe will restrict when you are pushing more out.
I see so I was Wrong, The cat back connects to the ubend after the headers. I did hear that I might not need that big of piping, but with that size, you might get better sounds and if I decide to go more into the engine I might be able to gain from it, but otherwise I might Lose some torque. I have an air intake, but I'm now research about a bigger throttle body, as that might work well with the exhaust. My friend wanted me to just buy a 2.5" y-pipe and some 2.5" piping and get 2 glass packs or cheapo mufflers and make it a done deal, but I didn't know should I invest money into that, as some say glass pack on anything below a V8 is bad, but I seen countless 4 cylinders do it. Thanks for telling me about the U-bend, I am highly considering it.

Originally Posted by jeff2425
you should take chibi's advice. headers might look cool and all but not worth the money. I am thinking of starting with this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-23433/ and going from there to duals just for a better sound. the replacement cat is a bolt in and has no u-bend but a shop would be cheaper if you just want to cut the u-bend out and go from there
Yea But I wasn't sure how much a ubend would cost. I heard it is about the same pricing though. Like 300-400. I'm not sure, but if it is around that I might as well get the headers for the case that I might continue work on it. It all depends on the money and job now though. That Cat looks good though, lol it seems I want to try everything on the car, but not enough money.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Headers will have the manifolds, down to a downpipe and connect to the cat-back. That will delete the U-bend but Headers IMO is a waste of money on the 3.4 without serious modifying and tuning.

2.5" is the biggest I would go. Don't think bigger pipes = better sounds... It's sadly not true on our cars.

I somewhat agree with your friend that if you want the duals, just put a Y-pipe and throw a muffler on, along with the U-Bend delete and call it a day. A U-bend delete should not cost anywhere near $300. All you need to do is put something like this on:

https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...=504&catid=110

Any shop should be able to make one of those, or even just weld that one up for you while doing the rest of your exhaust.

I've heard good things about Flowmasters on the 3.1/3.4 engine. Youtube should help you listen to different muffler types

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 12-15-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Headers will have the manifolds, down to a downpipe and connect to the cat-back. That will delete the U-bend but Headers IMO is a waste of money on the 3.4 without serious modifying and tuning.

2.5" is the biggest I would go. Don't think bigger pipes = better sounds... It's sadly not true on our cars.

I somewhat agree with your friend that if you want the duals, just put a Y-pipe and throw a muffler on, along with the U-Bend delete and call it a day. A U-bend delete should not cost anywhere near $300. All you need to do is put something like this on:

https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...=504&catid=110

Any shop should be able to make one of those, or even just weld that one up for you while doing the rest of your exhaust.

I've heard good things about Flowmasters on the 3.1/3.4 engine. Youtube should help you listen to different muffler types

Yes, just try some local mom/pop style muffler shops. I had my u bend and resonator deleted for $50. Being saddled with a 3.4 is going to keep the performance upgrades to a minimum, but good mpg is a nice thing too!!

Oh, deleting the resonator only makes it slightly louder at idle with the stock muffler. And that is standing outside the vehicle. Inside, I couldn't tell the difference.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:01 AM

I also have a 3400 in my car. Obviously, the performance upgrades are not the best on the market, but the ones that are there are useful and pretty nice. I have the Pacesetter ceramic headers and u-bend, cat, and resonator delete, followed by a 2.5" magnaflow exhaust. I love the way it sound ( to me at least ) and the power increase is noticeable. I would go with the set-up you have planned out. Go to a muffler shop that is good. the exhaust from the downpipe back was total of 200 dollars for everything ( piping, welding, gaskets, and installation ).

good luck with everything dude!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 PM

Well after I wrecked my monte, I haven't been on this forum, but we started exhaust work today. We cut off the stock and put on a cheap ebay muffler, and it stopped a whining problem I've had for almost a year now. So I guess the air intake did create a hell lot of back pressure. My clue for that was that I tried that electric blower and it made my car ran like ****, as it didn't want to move, and I think it was because the air intake and that fan made even more back pressure thus slower. Tomorrow I will have the 2nd muffler on for the duals. and I will test that electric blower out and see if my theory is right. But the way we are doing is so far was cut off stock muffler installed new muffler with a extension steel pipe I've got from frank's auto. The custom y pipe we are making is going to be using a steel fence pole. Yep, that's right a fence pole, it was the same material and quality as the extension pipe, and cheaper. I will be posting updates soon, maybe when I test everything out.

Quick Reply: Exhaust SET-UP for 3.4l MC LS LA1 engines