Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Exhaust question

Hey all!

Just re-posting this question for one of our new members, Greg.
This question was originally posted in a thread that has been closed.

Originally posted by: DEI Monte SS 04
Has anyone tried to just take off the exhaust pipes off a stock 3.8 SS. Just install straight pipes. Not interested in performance just the sound: the car is way to quiet. My other car is a 07 SS and it sounds fine just the way it is. Performance is not bad either.

I believe cowboy6622 (Duane) has done this on his 03 SS. Please correct me though, if I'm wrong Duane.

Thanks everyone!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Default RE: Exhaust question

Thank you TAZ I worded my question wrong though I think you know what I was talking about. I should have asked has anyone just removed the mufflers of of the exhaust system: on a 3.8 SS stock engine. If so how does it sound by just putting back straight pipes.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:02 PM

I know a while ago something was posted about someone doing this.... one major problem came up: emissions. are you in a state where they do not test? also, that is going to be VERY loud, check with noise ordinance with your town and towns in the area.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:40 PM

I've done it, and lasted 2 days before I found another solution.... search "lav74" on streetfire.net. You'll see/hear my videos... though I'm heavily modified in terms of engine mods that will affect the tone and depth and lope of the exhaust (cam, headers, ported heads, etc...) On a stock 3800, removing your mufflers is not a good idea. It will be ungodly loud, raspy, farty, unbearable, install a advil dispenser if you plan any journey longer than 10 minutes.

What type of sound are you looking for? Muscle car sound? Forget it... we drive a 3800 V6.

What I did was keep the straight pipes, but installed a huge resonator after the cat... this helped remove all the rasp, and farts, and kept the depth that I was looking for. It's about as close as I'll ever get to making it sound like a V8.

So, I'll ask again... what type of sound are you looking for?

Old 04-01-2008, 12:53 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

my monte is kind of straight piped. it has a stock cat and a glass pack right at the catalytic converter. here is a link to a sound clip. the camera that took the thing was crappy, but it might give you an idea of what you're getting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq19vwlx4ss

Old 04-01-2008, 06:29 PM

I was looking for as close to muscle car sound as possible. If I have to buy mufflers are there a direct install. I don't want to chop up this car it is 04 SS DEI Legacy car from Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet. There was only two made and the other one is in Maine.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:41 PM

The car only has 3000 miles on it and has never seen rain or snow yet. But having an 07 SS the car has a nice sound to it stock where as I can not even here this o4 Monte when it is running.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:44 PM

Cowboy I watched your you tube it did not sound bad at all. That is the sound with just the two mufflers removed and straight pipe extensions?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

not exactly. i wish you could hear it in person.. i've tried to get better sound clips to no avail. that was oringally a $400 dynomax cat back. it sounds similar to that now, but MUCH louder. the dynomax comes with a glasspack to go in place of the resonator and 2 back mufflers to replace the stock ones. All i did was half the two back mufflers cut off and 3" tips installed. I love it... it resonates alot inside the cabin. My dad says he coudln't stand doing a long trip in it. A few friends say it's hard to ride in the back. But to me, I grew up on the road every summer with my dad in an 18 wheeler. I am used to loud vehicles. my brother has had some loud music before. i'd say try to find a friend or something with straight pipes before doing it yourself. Some people don't like the popping... and I admit mine pops a little, but the glasspack took alot of it out compared to a lot of cars with straight pipe. I'll admit they probably aren't for everyone. I woudln't take anything for the sound my car makes now.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:07 PM

I think I will try it with straight pipes first if it is to loud I think I will go with the flow master 40's

Quick Reply: Exhaust question