Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Exhaust opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Exhaust opinions

Yes I know, yet another "What exhaust?" question. I'm supercharged and I have been thinking about buying Borla XS Pro mufflers but I don't know what I should do about the resonator. Should I leave the stock one? Get an aftermarket one, maybe ZZPs? Delete it completely? I am looking for a deep throaty sound but I don't want it overly loud, just a nice rumble that is apparent but not get pulled over loud.

I've watched nearly every video I can find and unfortunately most are crappy enough to the point where they aren't even useful so its difficult to tell what would sound the best . I do plan on making a proper recording of how mine sounds once I decide though so hopefully it helps someone out in the future. My other option is leave the stock exhaust and do an electronic cutout

Last edited by Keudn; 06-13-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:43 PM

My opinion is go with them borla mufflers and get rid of the res.. Add the cut out just because..

Old 06-13-2017, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
My opinion is go with them borla mufflers and get rid of the res.. Add the cut out just because..
What is the reasoning behind getting rid of the res? I was under the impression it helps eliminate unwanted frequencies and makes the car less raspy

Old 06-13-2017, 01:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you a just swapping mufflers, then just get the mufflers done and call it a day. IF you think it needs to be louder later on, it's much cheaper to have an exhaust shop delete the resonator, than to put one back in.

I run an 18" Magnaflow resonator, stock is 24" I believe.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
If you a just swapping mufflers, then just get the mufflers done and call it a day. IF you think it needs to be louder later on, it's much cheaper to have an exhaust shop delete the resonator, than to put one back in.

I run an 18" Magnaflow resonator, stock is 24" I believe.
x2. Give the new mufflers a try for a few weeks and you can always have the res hacked out later. From what you've said, I think you'll prefer it in anyways. The muffler change will give a noticeable sound difference and the XS is a pretty good middle ground muffler.

I actually added a big resonator back into mine when I redid my exhaust last. Granted I've got a cutout, so I've always got the option for nasty loud, but I usually run it closed through the res and muffler. As I've got older, I've just had my fill of the raspy mid rpm sound of a loud 3800.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member

Alright guys well i went ahead and installed the Borla XS Pros and I have to say they sound very nice, nice and throaty without much rasp. The only issue I have with them is revving at a stop, if I hit the rev limiter and let off it makes a pretty harsh raspy crackling sound. Doesn't do it at any time other than sitting parked and only when I am at or very near the rev limiter. Anyone know what causes this?

Also just out of curiosity, what will removing the res do for the sound? My understanding is that it will make it louder and more raw sounding, is that correct?

Old 07-24-2017, 03:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Keudn
The only issue I have with them is revving at a stop, if I hit the rev limiter and let off it makes a pretty harsh raspy crackling sound. Doesn't do it at any time other than sitting parked and only when I am at or very near the rev limiter. Anyone know what causes this?
It's how the car is tuned to do the rev limiter. You can damage the engine just freely revving it in park like that. It will cut fueling and detonate weirdly when it's hitting the rev limit.

The resonator helps deter how the frequency in the exhaust is bounced around. Most people say that it helps keep it quieter and less raspy inside the cabin.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member

It's how the car is tuned to do the rev limiter. You can damage the engine just freely revving it in park like that. It will cut fueling and detonate weirdly when it's hitting the rev limit.

The resonator helps deter how the frequency in the exhaust is bounced around. Most people say that it helps keep it quieter and less raspy inside the cabin.
Awesome response Chibi, thank you. I'll refrain from hitting the rev limiter from now on then

Old 07-24-2017, 06:31 PM

Most people say that it helps keep it quieter and less raspy inside the cabin.
Very much so..