Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Exhaust Cutout with Cherry Bomb? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/exhaust-cutout-cherry-bomb-58861/)

Keudn 09-12-2017 02:39 PM

Exhaust Cutout with Cherry Bomb?

I have been tossing around an idea of mine to install an exhaust cutout and then squeeze on a cherry bomb extreme to the end of it. Does anyone have pictures of the underside of their car, specifically around the downpipe? I don't have any realistic way to get under mine and get a good picture to see if I even have room for this.

drivernumber3 09-12-2017 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Keudn (Post 706172)
I have been tossing around an idea of mine to install an exhaust cutout and then squeeze on a cherry bomb extreme to the end of it. Does anyone have pictures of the underside of their car, specifically around the downpipe? I don't have any realistic way to get under mine and get a good picture to see if I even have room for this.

Probably not going to find anyone who has the picture.
However with the car in the street, drive your car on the Curb as if you were going to parallel park with the right side wheels on the curb, now you can crawl under it and see what it looks like.:thumbsup:

wht02monte 09-13-2017 06:42 AM

Theres not enough room.. I tried putting a thrush welded in place of the cat/res area and it hung down about 5 inches.. I even removed the head shield thats there to give me a couple extra inches and not even close to enough room.. You wont be able to fit anything larger than the stock cat/res under there..

I do have a picture ill post up for you later..

bumpin96monte 09-13-2017 06:10 PM

X2 with what has been said above, it's not physically possible in that space and still keep it tucked in the body like the stock exhaust is.

I only see 2 decent options:
-forget the cherry bomb and just do a cutout. That can be fit just about anywhere.
-put the cutout and cherry bomb in the back after the fuel tank. There's a lot more room to work with back there.

ZIPPY02 09-13-2017 08:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is a shot for you...

Keudn 09-13-2017 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02 (Post 706206)
Here is a shot for you...

Thank you! I'm gonna have to think long and hard about how I want to do it. The reason why I don't want an open pipe is because I have read plenty of threads of people saying open piped 3800s sound like elephant farts in a megaphone and while being loud would be nice, being loud and sound good would be better

bumpin96monte 09-14-2017 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Keudn (Post 706207)
Thank you! I'm gonna have to think long and hard about how I want to do it. The reason why I don't want an open pipe is because I have read plenty of threads of people saying open piped 3800s sound like elephant farts in a megaphone and while being loud would be nice, being loud and sound good would be better

Adding a cherry bomb to the cutout isn't going to make it sound any better IMO. It's still going to be stupid loud and have a ton of resonance inside the car dumping upfront like that, especially if you decide against going the turbo route.

wht02monte 09-14-2017 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Keudn (Post 706207)

This is very debatable.. For the longest time I would bet my life that straight pipe/no mufflers/cutout would sound terrible.. Until I started playing around with the exhaust myself.. You just cant expect a big V8 sound from an odd firing V6.. You can absolutely make is sound awesome with any setup you prefer..

One thing I was playing around with was 3.5" pipe from the downpipe back into an H pipe instead of the factory Y pipe.. THEN, crush bent 90* elbows making the H pipe (its actually an "h" pipe but whatever). The crush bending of the pipe has a slight muffling action and sounded pretty damn cool but was just a little too loud..

Another little experiment was immediately after the downpipe I had two thrush welded mufflers jammed up in there(this is where I found out you couldnt fit mufflers in place of resonator) but they hung down too far..

This was by far the best sound I have ever heard on a 3800 but was in no way plausible being that it was obnoxiously loud and hung down further than I was comfortable with.. The reason I think it was too loud was cause it would give SO MUCH cabin drone.. I could deal with it if the sound came out the rear..

I was going to run pipe from the mufflers to the rear of the car but come to find out that the more pipe you put after the mufflers, the raspier it would get and totally changed the sound.. Tried side exit to shorten the length but that was just too much "crap" under the car and too visible..

Keudn 09-14-2017 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 706225)
Adding a cherry bomb to the cutout isn't going to make it sound any better IMO. It's still going to be stupid loud and have a ton of resonance inside the car dumping upfront like that, especially if you decide against going the turbo route.

I want loud for the cutout being open I just want to get rid of any 3800 rasp. However perhaps a cherry bomb isn't the best idea.

Originally Posted by wht02monte (Post 706228)
This is very debatable.. For the longest time I would bet my life that straight pipe/no mufflers/cutout would sound terrible.. Until I started playing around with the exhaust myself.. You just cant expect a big V8 sound from an odd firing V6.. You can absolutely make is sound awesome with any setup you prefer..

One thing I was playing around with was 3.5" pipe from the downpipe back into an H pipe instead of the factory Y pipe.. THEN, crush bent 90* elbows making the H pipe (its actually an "h" pipe but whatever). The crush bending of the pipe has a slight muffling action and sounded pretty damn cool but was just a little too loud..

Another little experiment was immediately after the downpipe I had two thrush welded mufflers jammed up in there(this is where I found out you couldnt fit mufflers in place of resonator) but they hung down too far..

This was by far the best sound I have ever heard on a 3800 but was in no way plausible being that it was obnoxiously loud and hung down further than I was comfortable with.. The reason I think it was too loud was cause it would give SO MUCH cabin drone.. I could deal with it if the sound came out the rear..

I was going to run pipe from the mufflers to the rear of the car but come to find out that the more pipe you put after the mufflers, the raspier it would get and totally changed the sound.. Tried side exit to shorten the length but that was just too much "crap" under the car and too visible..

Very interesting, unfortunately there isn't enough room to do that :(. What I am wondering is if there is enough room to get a cutout at the downpipe and then do an "h" pipe where it runs down and parallel to the exhaust pipe right up against it and then sticking one of these on the end of that. I have 0 idea what a race muffler would sound like on our 3800s but if I can find a small one it might just fit. I finally got my car back so I will have to go take some pictures and measurements today

bumpin96monte 09-14-2017 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Keudn (Post 706232)
I want loud for the cutout being open I just want to get rid of any 3800 rasp. However perhaps a cherry bomb isn't the best idea.

Honestly with how loud it's going to be open cutout, the rasp won't matter at all. As mentioned above, the drone / resonance of a cutout under the car is REALLY bad without a turbo. I've got this on both my monte and grand prix and it is fun for a bit, but its not enjoyable long term like a nice normal exhaust is going out the back.

Any particular reason you're against just doing a cutout at the back (or even some vacuum actuated mufflers)? Crazy loud exhaust isn't so hard to deal with when it's pointing out the back of the car.