Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Default Dual exhaust

So I was looking under my car trying to get my fuel problem figured out, and I got to thinking about dual exhaust. It didn't really look like there would be room for it on my car. Do any of you guys know if it's possible for my car? And around how much horsepower would I gain from it?

Old 04-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Dual exhaust

you can;t have true dual exhaust as there just is not room to do so. the best bet would be to get a cat back exhaust with will be single until it passes the rear wheels and then it will split.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:02 PM

That's what I was thinking. That's what you did right? And you said you didn't feel much gains performance-wise? It's too expensive for me to do it simply for sound and looks. How much did yours run you?

Old 04-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

peformance wise you wouldn't notice too much of a difference from doing the split system...but thats really the only way to do dual on our cars...now what you can do instead of splitting the pipe as a y pipe...it doesn't flow evenly this way...will take the path of least resistance....you could do a single in dual out muffler...and that way you will get the flow of exhaust a little more even...i think it looks really funny when exhaust comes out one pipe and not the other..

i guess it works fairly well on my style car though...not sure how they did it...but i've seen lots of people do it wrong before though

Old 04-09-2007, 04:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: wiz kidd

peformance wise you wouldn't notice too much of a difference from doing the split system...but thats really the only way to do dual on our cars...now what you can do instead of splitting the pipe as a y pipe...it doesn't flow evenly this way...will take the path of least resistance....you could do a single in dual out muffler...and that way you will get the flow of exhaust a little more even...i think it looks really funny when exhaust comes out one pipe and not the other..

i guess it works fairly well on my style car though...not sure how they did it...but i've seen lots of people do it wrong before though
Someone mentioned on an earlier post that a crossover would fix that.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: Hamm

That's what I was thinking. That's what you did right? And you said you didn't feel much gains performance-wise? It's too expensive for me to do it simply for sound and looks. How much did yours run you?
I added the GMPP Cat back which cast $515 plus S&H. It did not add noticable HP gains, but this is a completely stock car that I added it to. The cat back will help when I get more air into the engine and additional mods that I add.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:52 PM

Did you use a crossover?

Old 04-10-2007, 04:41 PM

I did a cat back with a Y pipe and left the resonator in. Cost about $400 installed. I got dual magnaflows. Didn't want too loud of a noise, but wanted more than stock exhaust gave me. Didn't notice any difference in power, though I didnt expect to.

Steve

Old 04-10-2007, 10:16 PM

Any exhaust mods from the U-bend to the tips won't make much of a difference. ZZP dynoed a bunch and the stock mufflers are good for up to about 300 WHP. So stock you might see like 1-2hp difference.

Make sure you have a 3" downpipe and U-bend delete done first if you are looking for gains.

Once that is done, look at getting a CAI system.

The dual exhaust in the back can only improve sound and looks for your engine unless you put a turbo or supercharger on it and even then, the supercharger would need to have upgrades.Even if you do this, you will want to upgrade the transmission before changing the exhaust... yeah it's that good.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:43 PM

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

Any exhaust mods from the U-bend to the tips won't make much of a difference. ZZP dynoed a bunch and the stock mufflers are good for up to about 300 WHP. So stock you might see like 1-2hp difference.

Make sure you have a 3" downpipe and U-bend delete done first if you are looking for gains.

Once that is done, look at getting a CAI system.

The dual exhaust in the back can only improve sound and looks for your engine unless you put a turbo or supercharger on it and even then, the supercharger would need to have upgrades.Even if you do this, you will want to upgrade the transmission before changing the exhaust... yeah it's that good.
STOP TELLING PEOPLE THIS CRAP!
this is like the 5th time i have had to correct this... he is not supercharged! the info you listed is for supercharged cars. our cars NA (natrually aspirated) will never hit 300 crank HP let alone Wheel HP without a full exhaust. and a 3" down pipe is for cars making a min of 275hp or more! if you put that on an NA car you will loose more Torque then the top end HP you would gain.

for NA cars (non boosted) the best size exhaust is 2.5" our cars come with a 2.25 system factory. as for how you want to configure your system its really dependent on if you want sound or performance or both. for my car i was mostly looking for performance but i didnt want it to be too loud. im not sure about other motors, but my Z34 came with a 2.5" down pipe from the factory. from there i replaced everything. started with a high flow cat 2.5" dia. then right into a round magnaflow muffler then 2.5" tubing to a glasspack to keep the sound down, then to the rear where it splits into dual tips. the guy who owns and runs the shop i went to is an exhaust expert! he put a diverter fin in the Y pipe so that the flow is evenly split. and yes it does work!

gains: there was a little loss in low end Tq but the mid to top end power was great! the system gives a nice pur at idle and when you get on the car it really is amazing. the system onlly cost about $300 total even wiht install cause i only used one muffler. so not only was it cheep, but since it was only one muffler it saved on weight too. like i said perf was my goal.

(intimidator) i dont mean to snap at you, but you have to be sure to make the distinition what type of engine your dealing with before you give exhaust recomendations. what works for SC cars is diff then what will work on a NA car... there are even slight diff in what you need for a turbo car vs a SC. i just dont want these new people to get wrong info, spend a lot of money, and have something that wasnt what they wanted call cause you made a mistake.

Quick Reply: Dual exhaust