Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Do I really need mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Default Do I really need mufflers?

My stock '87 Monte SS has had this ghetto rigged dual exit straight (no mufflers) flextube cat-back exhaust on it for almost a year now. I couldn't really afford a nice system and I couldn't make up my mind on what I wanted either. I blew off a middle section of pipe yesterday so that's good I guess to force me to do up the exhaust. My Monte has always been loud and throaty as hell with the straight pipes and cat. I fear that if i get a bolt on cat-back kit with mufflers it's going to sound like a pissy ricer car or one of those new mustangs. I want people to be able to hear my Monte coming for a 1/4 mile away without that ripping and gay turbo sound that mufflers seem to do. Everyone and their mom has flowmaster 40 series on their Monte and I don't think they're what I want. I was thinking glasspacks but I'm not so sure. Would open headers and larger diameter pipes make it louder and throatier? What about no mufflers? Do I need mufflers to pass inspection in NJ? Give me some ideas! Thanks so much!
-JenifuriouSS

Old 02-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Do I really need mufflers?

My stock '87 Monte SS

I want people to be able to hear my Monte coming for a 1/4 mile away

Would open headers and larger diameter pipes make it louder and throatier? What about no mufflers?

No offense, but I kinda think running open manifolds on a stock monte would be kinda dumb. Not to mention hearing it 1/4 mile away. I could see if it was a drag car or something, or a really hardcore street car, but its a stock- what 16 second quarter mile car?

I just think it would be ricey to have the thing sound stupid loud and still be ***** slow. I could see doing some sort of performance sounding mufflers and such to get a little louder, more aggressive tone, but open manifolds is excessive.

Thats how I used to feel with my monte when my aftermarket exhaust rusted out- and it was just a cat and 2' of pipe. Everyone stares at you as your car screams to get up to normal speed, and you feel even worse when you get beat down by a bone stock caddy, bmw, etc with silent exhaust. Heck, I even felt kinda retarded driving around open DP with my cammed, heavily modded swap engine before I got the exhaust done.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:32 PM

A straight-out dump or straight pipes are annoying to everyone within earshot. If you had a Blower and Headers with sponsorship decals all over the thing ... then, that's the way to go. But, just to make noise is bush-league.
Especially if the car is "All Hat and No Cattle"
That's just a statement that you don't really care much about taking care of the car.
You can keep the few ponies that you corral having no back-pressure. But, that's done at the embarrassing cost of just having a noise-making machine.

Your driving an automobile. Not a Harley-Davidson!
Make the car perform by doing a handful of Mods for performance.
Quiet-down the straight-pipes and give the folks a break on the noise.

I sincerely doubt your going to get an Inspection Sticker that way ... unless you Bribe the guy ... and, then you both might be in the soup if a young Trooper happens to grab you when he's in the mood to write-up anybody he can find bending the law someday and writes down the Number on your sticker!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:36 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like straight pipes... maybe a glasspack in it somewhere to give it a bit more tone, and you'll be set. It depends alot on your local law enforcement

Old 02-19-2008, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

I like straight pipes...
Would you say the same thing if it were on a Honda Civic, ora pickup truck? I bet most would be mad if they heard a civic drive by with open downpipes calling him a ricer for putting a straight pipe (or even a fart can) on a 17 second car- I don't see this being any different, its still annoying for no reason.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:23 PM

Whoa there killers. The thing is stock right now, it's also a daily driver. I am saving up to put a 383 in it, but right now my issue is the exhaust. Would it be smarter to wait on the exhaust until after I've done up the engine? I have alot of ideas for custom work on the car butit's under constant construction and I'm doing it one paycheck at a time. Takin' ideas from many different vehicles and styles to make itsomething that sounds, looks, performs, and ISdifferent, such as putting landau bows behind the rear windows like a hearse, haha! I don't want it to be like every other muscle care out there, and if it sounds like a dumptruck... well that's fun as hell. Just lookin' for some ideas.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:07 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

true, but that person in the honda has the right to sound like that. afterall, if everyone hated the sound of a 4 cylinder, they would all be quiet. nobody would have those fart cans on their honda's. but apprently, people like them. I like my straight pipes (thye are seriously not as loud as you would think... must be because of my stock cat and glasspack), and I especially like straight pipes on a V8... can't beat that sound. If what you want is car heard a quartermile away and one that gets attention, plus has aV8 tone,do the straight pipe.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Personally, I would do the engine first.

As far as the exhaust thing. I agree with a lot of what bumpin96monte said. Especially this one though:

Everyone stares at you as your car screams to get up to normal speed, and you feel even worse when you get beat down by a bone stock caddy, bmw, etc with silent exhaust.
Basically you will get attention, but not the attention you're hoping for. I think you'll be harassed by the cops, neighbors and people along regular routes will be extremely ticked off. And because of the noise, you're attracting challenges from anyone and their brother. If/when your car gets beat by one of the afore mentioned bone stock cars, I fear people will be laughing at you calling your car all show and no go. Especially if a ricer beats you.

Not sure about the cops around you, but around here most cops look at older cars with loud exhausts as "junkers". I'm not calling your car a junker. Just saying that some cops might look at it that way.

I don't think inspectors would pass your vehicle without an exhaust system, but I'm not 100% on that.

If I can make a friendly suggestion.Unless you plan on making this a track-only race car, I would find the exhaust system you can live with best. Maybe going to an exhaust shop, and getting a custom system made up is an option for you? This way you won't be having to settle for a kit you don't like. Then find some other way to personalize your muscle car, so that it's like no other. Maybe a get a custom color made up at a paint shop. Maybe get the interior redone (carpet & upholstery) with color combos and materials of your choice. You could even get your name or something embroidered into the seats/headrests if you like.

If you do make this a track only car, then by all means, go all out and let that engine scream. No one here is trying to get on your case. Simply offering some friendly opinions to help you make a decision that you won't regret later.

You got a great car. An 87 Monte SS is a super car with lots of potential for mods. You're only limited by your wallet and your imagination. A lot of people here would love to take your 87 SS off your hands for you. LOL. Hope you get many years of enjoyment from your SS!
Welcome to the site.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 PM

for your stock motor you definitely need exhaust with mufflers. straight pipes to me sound waaay too redneck...not to mention a small loss in torque and horsepower. id say.. 2 1/2" pipe fromthe manifolds or as far as your muffler shop will go. use some type of performance muffler.... flowmaster, magnaflow, dynomax, etc.. if u want it a lil more throaty, skip the tailpipes. stop the pipes just before the rear end with the mufflers on the end of the pipe. beware of anyone tellin u to use a turndown on the end of the muffler. it will keep your car dirty from the dust the exhaust will kick up. finally,.. depending how mean the 383 u build will be, it may benefit from a 3" exhaust but your stocker wont appreciate the extra half an inch.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:23 PM

I would say you need to run mufflers to pass inspection, and most likely need to keep your cat. I know in New York you are not allowed (in theory) to even add an additional catalytic converter. I would check with a couple of local mechanics and see what they say. If you can alter the factory setup, I would suggest doing a true dual set up utilizing full length headers. To do this you will need to either modify your stock crossmember or purchase one like these http://www.geocities.com/gforcejohn/products.htm . Unless you expect your 383 to make over 500hp, I would stay away from a 3" exhaust.

Quick Reply: Do I really need mufflers?