Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

didnt pass smog :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:20 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default didnt pass smog :(

well, didnt pass smog. thats the bad news. my NO readings were just a little bit high, so my shop checked out my egr in the tune to see if it was working, and it was. guess my Hi flow cat is screwing it all up for me.

good news is, i passed the visual without an engine cover! my shop told me about this place that passed an RX-7 that swapped out the engine for a mustang engine, and the shop passed it.........so naturally, this was a prime choice for me. as i pulled up to the shop, they were obviously looking to see what was coming up. they said it'd be 50 bucks to do the smog (dirt cheap considering most places charge 70 bucks to do it). they guy was old, and he said "nice car, is this a mustang?" WOW. i didnt know what to say to that. at this point i was assuring myself there was no way i could fail the visual test haha. opened my hood, and he gave me some compliments! he liked my work haha.

it passed the 15mph test, but barely.
it failed the 25mph test, just above the max reading for NO.

basically, i need a stock cat to swap out my high flow cat, then im just gonna swap back the hi flow cat after the test. i dont feel like paying 150-200 bucks for a cat that im only gonna use once. i need a loaner haha.

anything else that would cause the NO readings to be high besides fuel trims, EGR, or CAT?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:27 AM

I can't think of anything else that would cause high NO lvls. Move to a state with OBD2 emissions, lol. My high flow set the mil, so I would have failed since we only have OBD2 emissions, but a re flashed PCM fixed that. Passed no problem.

That sucks, I just traded my old cat to my boss for a set of winter wheels or I would have let you borrow it. Too bad it wasn't high Hydro Carbons, I know a trick around betting that.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 AM

Do you have an aftermarket downpipe with stock manifolds? Or did you end up going with a set of headers?

If it's just a downpipe, then it's pretty easy to just swap a stocker back in, and should be able to be had for dirt cheap.

-Riggs.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's a shame I cut up my old downpipe or I would be shipping that out to you for the price of shipping! haha

Hope you can find a decent stock downpipe to get you past emissions. Stupid CA.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:54 AM

I'd try a bone yard, you may get lucky and find one with a cat still in it. If they just took it in and didn't get a chance to strip it

Old 10-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

soo glad mn doesn't have any of that shet... good luck on findin a dp and or just a cat

Old 10-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

well i got the plog with a bolt in 2.5" DP. its an easy fix, but i just gotta find a loaner or buy a cheap used one thats in good shape. if anyone has one layin around, let me know please! if you want it back i can definately send it back, i'll pay shipping both ways plus throw you some cash!

Old 10-23-2009, 02:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Matt check this out.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

Will seperate stock DP from the exhaust. GO!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Stupid CA.
I worry every other year when I have to get the truck smogged. At 230,000 miles, it usually squeekes by, but of course the milage gets a little higher each time its smogged!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:30 PM

One of the few great things about Ohio...no smog checks. Thats about it though...

Quick Reply: didnt pass smog :(