Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

did i get ripped off??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Because he's an exhaust salesman, he has to make his products sound good. I would take a look under your car and make sure the U-Bend really was deleted.

It's just proven fact that we don't have exhaust restrictions from the cat-back. Your car just will not simply put out enough to require the larger pipes and everything.

My cat-back was rusted out, so that's why I decided to even do any work on my exhaust after all the stuff I did in front of the cat. Otherwise I would have been happy with my stock system.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

alright i just took a look under the car and yeah its not there its just a chrome looking little pipe, and i mean i can feel teh power it added, im not one of those "yeah mines better" i dont just talk out my a$$ to impress people.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Deleting the U-Bend will net about 5 crank hp (at most) which is only like 1, maybe 2 to your wheels. The rest of the system is for sound. You most likely don't feel the back-pressure that you used to, since it's flowing more freely which isn't going to equate to HP gains, but it will feel a little different driving around.

It's nice that the shop did the U-Bend for you, a lot of places won't even touch it for no reason at all. It's good that you are happy with the system also! Always nice to see 2 tips coming out the back instead of one

Old 02-25-2010, 11:45 AM
10 Year Member

yeah, and this shop isnt known for going "by the books" either, i had an 86 cutlass supreme with the 307 HO that the guy just piped it and threw a universal muffler on, so hes pretty cool about what you want done. if he CAN and the money is right he'll do it if you keep it hush. and as for the power gain on my monte hey i can feel it so im happy, i was always told if you can feel it its all least 20hp, but hey im happy whatever.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:47 PM

no i dont have pics of before, but id be more that happy to post some if you can tell me how to get them on here off my camera, all i know how to do is plug in the USB cable, so help me out here
Do you know how to download them off your camera? Windows should prompt you to import the pictures when you plug the usb in. Once you've got them on your computer- go to www.photobucket.com and create a new account- its free and quick to do. Once you've got an account, click on the upload picture section, and select the pictures you want to post (hold CTRL down when clicking to select multiple pictures). Once they're uploaded, hover your mouse over the pictures, and 4 links will appear below it- click on the one that has the IMG tags around it, and it will copy it. Then come back here, and when typing in the box, right click and paste the link- and it will show the picture when you post.

thats when he told me that he went ahead and took care of teh u-bend and ran 2.6" pipes in addition to that.
You sure its 2.6" pipe? Thats odd- 2.5" is a more standard size. Also- I'd take a look where he deleted the ubend and make sure he left the factory flange in there (the part that bolts together). I've seen places do the ubend delete, get lazy and just weld it all as one pipe, and take out the flange- making your catback and downpipe one huge piece. I hope he didn't do that because it will be way harder in the future if you want to upgrade your downpipe or install headers.

now my question to you is (and im not calling you a liar) why would he tell me that it would give me about 20 more horses?
Because he doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm sure he's a great welder and exhaust guy- but there are way too many variables to accurately predict HP gains from random exhaust work off the top of your head. Gains on a '67 Buick would be different from a '08 Honda- installing a Flowmaster instead of a glasspack would provide different gains, the number of bends and type of bends- and how restrictive the factory mufflers were (not to mention on some cars, the mufflers change even between trim levels- like the sporty model gets louder, more free flowing mufflers).

I'm sure he was just throwing a number out there to make you happy and think you're getting your moneys worth. I bet its a one in a million chance that someone already had a stock dyno, and headed straight back to the dyno to see the power increase. I'm sure you did gain a couple horsepower- but nowhere near 20.

i mean i can feel teh power it added, im not one of those "yeah mines better" i dont just talk out my a$$ to impress people.
We're not trying to call you a liar- but think about it this way- if your exhaust added 20 horsepower, and you got one of those cold air intakes off ebay that adds +15-20 horsepower, you would have about 240 horsepower- and should be able to beat a stock L67 right? Well, it would never happen- places inflate their numbers to sell more product. Thats why everybody always says to pick your catback or mufflers based on sound and not horsepower gains on these forums- because the stock catback isn't very restrictive at all, and while you may gain a horsepower or two- being happy about the sound it puts out is far more important.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I gotta agree with what's being said here. The u-bend delete added the HP, not the cat-back. The cat-back systems are FAR better now days. Changing mufflers will change the sound, and add ZERO HP. I challenge you to go to any forum and find anyone that says different. I would also make the challenge in reverse, and find a muffler salesman that DIDN'T say it added HP.
Change your catalytic convertor to a hi-flow unit and you might feel some more seat of the pants HP.
A cold air intake and the u-bend delete are THE top 2 mods anyone can make to their W-body car.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:57 PM

I would also like to add...that if your into modding like most of us are. Then doing one mod will get you alittle hp but if you do other mods then the first one will net you more. Think of it more like a % of hp the more hp you put out then the more the % goes up to a limit of course. But gratz on the exhaust glad you like it.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member

alot being said here, first it is 2.6 yeah i agree very odd he said it would be better for the sound. there is a flange at the front of the cat if i wanna add headers which im planning on doing soon when i find them (do you have a link)? he did cut off the back flange though and did a whole new 1 piece pipe going to the y pipe he made, so it goes like this... exhaust manifold to flange to cat then on the back of the cat he cut off the flange and welded on the new 2.6" pipe going to the y pipe with the 2 mufflers, then the tips. and as for the cold air intake thats something i came up with myself, that goes as such... t-body to cupler to chrome elbow to maf to cupler to air box, then (here it got tricky) the front of the air box has the intake hole which i have a cupler on a pipe that fits flush into. so coming out of the air box is a 90* angle pipe that goes straight(right behind the headlight) down to the bottom of my bumper, then another 90* angle facing forward acting as a scoop. ill have pics some time later next week, seems a deer wanted to play chicken tonight, my car will be in the shop for a little while. no big deal just the hood.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:06 PM

well i am waiting to add anouther muffler to my monty just waiting to get the funds to do so i havent gotten the u bend cut out i am also waiting to do that as well. but i do like my sound with just the one muffler but wish i had two so people stop thinking it is a ls not a lt like it is i have a freakin lt not ls. hate it when people think it is a ls.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member

well slow down there nothing wrong with an LS lol. and you got an lt its 7th gen right i didnt think they made LT's under 06. but a dual would probably sound better huh? and one thing i hate is when people think mines an ss, seriously i dont like that, its like i got this sound from a 3400.

Quick Reply: did i get ripped off??