Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Dead spot in throttle response

Old 02-23-2016, 09:14 PM
Default Dead spot in throttle response

Hello all. I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I thought I'd try here. This is my first post and I have had an issue with my '07 SS for some time now.

The car has four mods, the issue coming after the first two. First mod was exhaust. Resornator delete, 2-1/2" pipe and y-pipe all the way back to a pair of Flowmaster 40's. Sounds great, although pretty loud, and drove fine. Next mod was a K&N cold air kit.......issue begins. Off the line the car jumps and is ready and then BANG!......dead spot in the throttle. Car will pick back up and smoke the tires on the right pavement, thanks to a 3.29 geared Triple Edge Performance trany, 4th mod, but has that dead spot. The dead spot is also there when the car is rolling at slow speed and the throttle is punched. When the car is running at speed, it performs just fine when punched to full throttle.

The third mod is a Diablo Sport tuner set at the 90 something octane setting with the DOD turned off. The issues started at the second mod though.

I had my mechanic friend ride along with a scope plugged into to the port and he saw nothing out of line, yet still the dead spot. My friend is an ex-GM mechanic and dealer service manager. Perhaps this is something others have had happen to them and there is a common fix.

I am really not a huge car hobby guy. I am a bit older and only drive the car when the weather is nice. Yes, I've spent some money on it, the TEP trans makes that evident, but the car is really just a toy to me. I don't work on cars, I work on power plants, large power plants, both nuclear and fossil. That being said, I really enjoy driving this car, save for the dead spot. Thus my request for help or suggestions........Thanks, and my apologies for the long post.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well the throttle on that car is electronic. So it's possible there is an issue with the pedal itself or the throttle actuator. You would need someone to be able to scan the computer to see how the throttle position is changing as you drive. Since you said it started with the new intake, i'd suggest checking the wires going to the computers, sometimes wires get stripped or beat up and it can cause odd issues.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would honestly assume it's the tune, either torque management kicking in, or traction control system cutting fuel/power.

Also, if the K&N intake is pulling hot engine air, it will pull timing from you. If the car pulls too much timing, and you get too much knock, it will automatically switch to the low-octane timing table, which gives you less power.

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 02-24-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93 View Post
Well the throttle on that car is electronic. So it's possible there is an issue with the pedal itself or the throttle actuator. You would need someone to be able to scan the computer to see how the throttle position is changing as you drive. Since you said it started with the new intake, i'd suggest checking the wires going to the computers, sometimes wires get stripped or beat up and it can cause odd issues.
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
I would honestly assume it's the tune, either torque management kicking in, or traction control system cutting fuel/power.

Also, if the K&N intake is pulling hot engine air, it will pull timing from you. If the car pulls too much timing, and you get too much knock, it will automatically switch to the low-octane timing table, which gives you less power.
Leprechaun93.....while I am aware the throttle on my car is electronic, I question an issue with the peddle or actuator since the car ran fine and had no dead spot before the K&N install. I will check the wires as you mentioned. Looking for answers and have a new path to follow with your second suggestion. Thanks for your response.

ChibiBlackSheep......While I am familiar with the traction control system, I see that light on my dash frequently!......the feel in the peddle and the way the car reacts is not the same. The car just falls on it's face, almost like you shut it off for a second, then roars back to life and turns the tires and the TC light on the dash. The TC loss of power is much different in 'feel' than the issue I am having. My car still pulls pretty hard when the TC kicks in, my issue after the intake install makes the car go dead for a split second. I am not familiar with the torque management you mentioned.

The K&N kit came with a steel box which is rubber topped to prevent engine compartment air from getting to the filter. Perhaps I need more elevation in sealing in the top part of said box. It may not be sealing to the hood, as the design looks like it should. More paths to explore. I appreciate your response as well.

I was hoping others had had a similar issue with a K&N cold air kit and knew a tuning or parts upgrade to solve the issue. Perhaps I was hoping for too much. I have fiddled with this issue for two years now and not found an answer yet. I will review the suggestions given with my mechanic and see what happens next.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:30 AM

10 Year Member

The K&N kits are never sealed, they constantly let hot air in. When I ran a K&N on my Monte before the supercharger install, my intake temperatures (monitored through my laptop) were constantly 40-50 degrees hotter than ambient air temp.

There's a reason K&N never calls their kit a CAI, they call them FIPK, or fuel-injection performance kits.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
The K&N kits are never sealed, they constantly let hot air in. When I ran a K&N on my Monte before the supercharger install, my intake temperatures (monitored through my laptop) were constantly 40-50 degrees hotter than ambient air temp.

There's a reason K&N never calls their kit a CAI, they call them FIPK, or fuel-injection performance kits.
ChibiBlackSheep,
Thank you so much for your response! I took the car out today after reading your response the other day and jumped on it before temps under the hood got warm. No dead spot! Throttle response was excellent. I went over to my mechanic's house and conferred with him and he agreed that could be the problem. We are going to build up a self adhesive foam damn to seal the heat shield of the K&N to the bottom of the hood to see if this cures the issue.

I am way more into target rifles than cars. That being said, I have had excellent help from many gun forums. This was my first inquiry on a car forum and I must say, same kind of brotherhood on the car side. I am most appreciative of the help here.

Again.......thanks!!

Old 02-28-2016, 07:44 PM

10 Year Member

Hopefully you guys can pin-point the issue completely. Hope we can help as much as you need

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.