Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): custom exhaust/ piping / mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 PM

the only thing thats going to set the code off is the dp. if you dont have an o2 sensor its going to get set off and if ou have one in there without the cat itll set it off. easiest way to be rid of it would be to tune it out. the other option would be to run a antifouler with an o2 sensor in the downpipe. ppl have ad success with it, but i doubt that it works in every single case. i would personally try it that way, and save the tune for later when you really start to mod the car. this is unless youre going to have lew do the tune. i believe he used to charge a flat rate to tune the car the way you wanted it and then would adjust the tune for any other mods that were added later without charging again. this may have changed since i havent spoken to him in a year or 2.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
the only thing thats going to set the code off is the dp. if you dont have an o2 sensor its going to get set off and if ou have one in there without the cat itll set it off. easiest way to be rid of it would be to tune it out. the other option would be to run a antifouler with an o2 sensor in the downpipe. ppl have ad success with it, but i doubt that it works in every single case. i would personally try it that way, and save the tune for later when you really start to mod the car. this is unless youre going to have lew do the tune. i believe he used to charge a flat rate to tune the car the way you wanted it and then would adjust the tune for any other mods that were added later without charging again. this may have changed since i havent spoken to him in a year or 2.
alright, and I have one more question. Say I get the codes deleted rather than putting an O2 bung in and keeping the O2 sensor. That wouldn't cause my car to run lean or anything like that would it? Or I wouldn't get any worse Gas mileage would I?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:55 PM

well if youre having the code taken out via a tune i would assume whoever you have tune it is also going to tune the air/fuel so it shouldnt run rich or lean. it should be dead on(thats the whole point of a tune to begin with). fuel mileage shouldnt suffer much if at all, if anything it might increase. youre making the car more efficient. you have to keep in mind though that the more you modify a car the more fuel its going to take to make more power. everything in life is a compromise. a motor needs fuel, air, and spark. if you add more air, and more spark, then youre going to need more fuel eventually. once again this is all within reason, at a certain point youll have to make a decision as to what you want the car to do and what is acceptable fuel mileage wise(if its your daily driver.) there are a few reasons why my 80 stopped being my daily driver. one was the almost $4 gas prices, another was with an overdrive the car got 6mpg city/ 10mpg hwy. it was getting to be a bit much, and that car wasnt even that radical(with a carb its always going to be a compromise. shes either going to go like hell, or be somewhat fuel efficient). obviously a fuel injected car is going to do far better, but like i said everthing is a compromise. theres only so much you can expect from a relatively small naturally aspirated motor before it stops being fuel efficient. i personally draw the line for this car somewhere in the high teens on the highway. anything less than that and it would stop serving its purpose. now if i got a pos civic for highway driving then the skies the limit(cam, milled heads, n20 shot, gearing, you name it). sorry for the rant. to answer your question tuning the code out would be the way to go to insure that the car doesnt run rich or lean. id be surprised if the car isnt running rich as we speak. also lew is a member on here and tech. ill give you his user name so you can ask him about this stuff. hes a pretty good guy and extremely helpful. here you go.

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums - View Profile: 06MonteSS

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 04-30-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 PM

well if youre having the code taken out via a tune i would assume whoever you have tune it is also going to tune the air/fuel so it shouldnt run rich or lean. it should be dead on(thats the whole point of a tune to begin with). fuel mileage shouldnt suffer much if at all, if anything it might increase. youre making the car more efficient. you have to keep in mind though that the more you modify a car the more fuel its going to take to make more power. everything in life is a compromise. a motor needs fuel, air, and spark. if you add more air, and more spark, then youre going to need more fuel eventually. once again this is all within reason, at a certain point youll have to make a decision as to what you want the car to do and what is acceptable fuel mileage wise(if its your daily driver.) there are a few reasons why my 80 stopped being my daily driver. one was the almost $4 gas prices, another was with an overdrive the car got 6mpg city/ 10mpg hwy. it was getting to be a bit much, and that car wasnt even that radical(with a carb its always going to be a compromise. shes either going to go like hell, or be somewhat fuel efficient). obviously a fuel injected car is going to do far better, but like i said everthing is a compromise. theres only so much you can expect from a relatively small naturally aspirated motor before it stops being fuel efficient. i personally draw the line for this car somewhere in the high teens on the highway. anything less than that and it would stop serving its purpose. now if i got a pos civic for highway driving then the skies the limit(cam, milled heads, n20 shot, gearing, you name it). sorry for the rant. to answer your question tuning the code out would be the way to go to insure that the car doesnt run rich or lean. id be surprised if the car isnt running rich as we speak. also lew is a member on here and tech. ill give you his user name so you can ask him about this stuff. hes a pretty good guy and extremely helpful. here you go.

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums - View Profile: 06MonteSS
Thanks man, I really appreciate the help.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:02 AM

np. goodluck with it. and be sure to start a thread and post a video of what ever you decide on.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:14 PM

np. goodluck with it. and be sure to start a thread and post a video of what ever you decide on.
Will do haha

Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 PM

i replied to your post on tech about straight piping. if i were to do an exhaust set up on the car again. i would get the catless dp, switch the resonator out for one of these Classic Chambered Exhaust Inc. - Products , have a new y made with straight pipes going out the rear. the link i posted there is for a muffler. this guy on tech years ago did a setup like this and the car sounded really, really good. the factory resonator without mufflers is ok, but i think this is a better option.

also its a good thing you are asking questions and doing your research. ive seen countless people swapping exhaust over and over again. its good to figure out what you want and get it right the first time.

found the video of his car with the exhaust i mentioned. he may not have had a aftermarket downpipe on that car. he had the car repoed and hasnt been on in a while. ill also post a link to discussions about classic chambered exhaust. i personally think it sounds very similar to mine, just more tuned.

ClassicChamberedExhaust.flv Video by dj_stylzpgh | Photobucket

LS1TECH

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 05-02-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 PM

i replied to your post on tech about straight piping. if i were to do an exhaust set up on the car again. i would get the catless dp, switch the resonator out for one of these Classic Chambered Exhaust Inc. - Products , have a new y made with straight pipes going out the rear. the link i posted there is for a muffler. this guy on tech years ago did a setup like this and the car sounded really, really good. the factory resonator without mufflers is ok, but i think this is a better option.

also its a good thing you are asking questions and doing your research. ive seen countless people swapping exhaust over and over again. its good to figure out what you want and get it right the first time.

found the video of his car with the exhaust i mentioned. he may not have had a aftermarket downpipe on that car. he had the car repoed and hasnt been on in a while. ill also post a link to discussions about classic chambered exhaust. i personally think it sounds very similar to mine, just more tuned.

ClassicChamberedExhaust.flv Video by dj_stylzpgh | Photobucket

LS1TECH
Yea, it's not that money really isn't an option, because I make pretty ok money. I just would hate to keep spending money on something over and over just to get it right when that money could go to something else haha. Now I know that straight piping is illegal, at least it i here in NC. I was wondering if you have ever been pulled over or anything like that for being straight piped

Old 05-03-2013, 07:57 AM

why would it be illegal? ive never been pulled over in my 06 for noise, and the car is fairly loud(routinely setting off car alarms. its bassy). if you keep a resonator, switch it for a different one, or replace it with a muffler theres no way it should be illegal. the car would still be muffled.

now i can see the car having a catless dp, no resonator, or mufflers being a problem. the cop would have to be a real dick and roll around on the ground looking at the cars exhaust though. not to mention that set up would most probably drone like crazy, sound like ****, and be absurdly loud.

like i said i would go catless dp(bolt on version), get a resonator(or muffler that fits in the resonator spot), get a 2.5 y pipe made, and ditch the mufflers. then get that thing tuned.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 AM

why would it be illegal? ive never been pulled over in my 06 for noise, and the car is fairly loud(routinely setting off car alarms. its bassy). if you keep a resonator, switch it for a different one, or replace it with a muffler theres no way it should be illegal. the car would still be muffled.

now i can see the car having a catless dp, no resonator, or mufflers being a problem. the cop would have to be a real dick and roll around on the ground looking at the cars exhaust though. not to mention that set up would most probably drone like crazy, sound like ****, and be absurdly loud.

like i said i would go catless dp(bolt on version), get a resonator(or muffler that fits in the resonator spot), get a 2.5 y pipe made, and ditch the mufflers. then get that thing tuned.
I got you, Here in NC you're car has to be equipped with a muffler and can't be straight piped "legally" anyway. But now that I re-read what you said about putting a muffler up where the resonator would be, then technically it has a muffler haha.

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): custom exhaust/ piping / mufflers