Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): custom exhaust/ piping / mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:04 AM
1 Year Member
Default custom exhaust/ piping / mufflers

06-07 CHEVY MONTE CARLO DUAL EXHAUST TUBING KIT

found this site would that be good piping to replace stock and if so what size to get the 2.5 or the 3 inch? i have the 3.9 v6

also what muffler would you recommend to get a good rumble out of it
or would it be better to just take off the stock mufflers and replace that i saw a member do that but not sure what would be a better bet because I don't really want to spend $800 some on the magnaflow kit

please let me know what you think thanks

Old 04-16-2013, 02:48 AM
1 Year Member

also if you have any other options/ suggestions that would be great as well

Old 04-16-2013, 07:37 AM

Wow I may have to do this. I myself have been contemplating on just getting a new muffler but now that I see this, I may go this route as well. And to answer some of your questions, I personally have been looking at Spintech Mufflers. They give a really nice sound, compared to something like flowmaster. But I also have the 5.3L V8, I'm not sure sound wise if you are going to get that deep throaty sound like what you are looking for. At least when you start to rev your car up into those higher RPM's. You will just get more of a raspy sound. However at Idle, and at lower RPM's I have seen a few V6's that sound really close to a V8. I know a lot of people on here have your same engine, so I'm sure they will chime in and give you a better idea of what to get. Now I also have a question if anyone can answer this, that tubing kit also appears to not come with cats or a down pipe. Obviously I would get a new down pipe but as far cats go, could they be re used some how even if you are jumping up to a little larger pipe? or would you recommend getting new cats as well?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I believe you should go with the 2.5" pipes and depending on your budget and how long you are expecting to keep your Monte considering getting the stainless steel pipes. This could be the last exhaust system you put on your car if you do SS. But if you think you might move on to other cars in a few years save a dollar and get the other aluminized metal ones. A new cat never hurts, you can get a high flow one for next to nothing.

410225 Flowmonster Catalytic Cat Converter 2 25" 2 1 4" High Flow Made in USA | eBay

or a brand name Magnaflow converter for

2 5" Magnaflow Universal 59956 Catalytic Converter High Flow Spun Metallic Cat | eBay

Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 AM
1 Year Member

thanks for the input guy's i was personally thinking of just running without the cat and just tossing some decent mufflers on the end and calling it good that or is that a bad idea?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:28 AM

i would look into your current exhaust tubing diameter. i believe the ss cars got 2.5" until the y pipe. i dont know if this is also true of the 3.9 cars. if it already has 2.5" tubing it would be kind of silly to change it for no reason. if the exhaust is the same set up as the ss i would just change the mufflers out. 3" would probably be a bit much for a stock 3.9. now if it was turbod id say go for it. on the muffler choice i would search around for videos of the other 60* v6 motors. in my opinion they sound better than the 3.8s when they have exhaust work done. i honestly dont know how much if any hp not having a cat frees up(at least with the modern cats). on my 80 i ditched the cat first thing.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by iMuf
Now I also have a question if anyone can answer this, that tubing kit also appears to not come with cats or a down pipe. Obviously I would get a new down pipe but as far cats go, could they be re used some how even if you are jumping up to a little larger pipe? or would you recommend getting new cats as well?
the ss cars only have one cat. this is just a tubing kit. it doesnt have the res, cat, downpipe, or mufflers. if i were you i would just get a catless downpipe, ditch the cat entirely. this is only if youre getting a downpipe. no real point buying a downpipe just to weld another cat on it(not to mention they sell catted downpipes, and that the car already has a downpipe with a cat on it from the factory). the whole point is to have a bolt in pipe thats got a bigger inside diameter and no cat, that way you can swap back and forth for inspections or when you go to sell it. also i wouldnt go jumping to 3" unless i was going to put some work into the car (ie cam, ls6 intake, turbo, n2o, tune or what not). getting the catless downpipe, going with a 2.5" y, and deleting the mufflers(or getting a better muffler) should be more than enough freeing up of the exhaust, especially on a mostly stock car. oh and if you do a downpipe, cat delete, straight pipe, or louder mufflers the car is going to need a tune even if its just to disable dod or to make it engage at highway speeds or higher rpm. they sound terrible when it engages with anything louder than the factory exhaust.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
the ss cars only have one cat. this is just a tubing kit. it doesnt have the res, cat, downpipe, or mufflers. if i were you i would just get a catless downpipe, ditch the cat entirely. this is only if youre getting a downpipe. no real point buying a downpipe just to weld another cat on it(not to mention they sell catted downpipes, and that the car already has a downpipe with a cat on it from the factory). the whole point is to have a bolt in pipe thats got a bigger inside diameter and no cat, that way you can swap back and forth for inspections or when you go to sell it. also i wouldnt go jumping to 3" unless i was going to put some work into the car (ie cam, ls6 intake, turbo, n2o, tune or what not). getting the catless downpipe, going with a 2.5" y, and deleting the mufflers(or getting a better muffler) should be more than enough freeing up of the exhaust, especially on a mostly stock car. oh and if you do a downpipe, cat delete, straight pipe, or louder mufflers the car is going to need a tune even if its just to disable dod or to make it engage at highway speeds or higher rpm. they sound terrible when it engages with anything louder than the factory exhaust.
I got you, Now if I'm in an area that has emission testing, I would still need my cat, right?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes if you are in an area that has emissions testing you would need a cat. Thats also why I linked you to the High Flow cats.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 AM

well emissions testing it another reason having a catless downpipe that can be removed and installed at home are a plus. put the factory setup on, get the car inspected, get home put it back in the air, and switch the downpipes. i think a high flow cat just defeats the purpose. sure itll flow better than stock, but not as good as it could be, and requires just as much work. just my .02 cents.

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): custom exhaust/ piping / mufflers